Nightmare At 2009 Winternationals (1 Viewer)

The point is NHRA doesn't care what any of us think and if we get our 4 rounds of competition or not. When they start suffering then they will care but until Dim Light get a pay cut don't hope for anything.

Why do people keep going "Oh my god there will be heaps of singles!!" do people not realise how eliminator racing actually works the less cars in the field the less rounds of elimination . Lets use 9 cars as an example they would probably shorten the field to 8 because having 9 would make one car keep having singles so If it was an 8 car field then you would have 4 eliminations first round then the semi final then the final .

Just remember people that not just in drag racing but in any sport based on eliminations the amount of rounds is based on how many cars are there . They wont just keep it at say a 16 car field if only 9 cars show up that would be silly .

If they had an 8 car field it would look like this , I wont use numbers .

* Vs *
---------* vs *
* vs *
------------------* vs * ----WINNER!
* vs *
--------- * vs *
* vs *

Compared to 16 car field

* vs *
---------* vs *
* vs *
------------------* vs *
* vs *
----------* vs *
* vs *
-------------------------------* vs *-------Winner!!!
* vs *
---------* vs *
* vs *
-------------------* vs *
* vs *
---------* vs *
* vs *

Last edited:
People who don't get the uneven ladders have never sportsman raced. For example, there were 147 S/C cars at Vegas2 this year. If you're confused by <16 car fields, put that in your pipe and smoke it :)

Not every class or event magically ends up a number of cars that is a power of two. They've been dealing it with for over 50 years.

The short answer is that you pair all the byes together in each round, and only a round with an odd number has one (1) bye actually run -- one single per round.

Really folks, it's not rocket surgery. :p

Why do people keep going "Oh my god there will be heaps of singles!!" do people not realise how eliminator racing actually works the less cars in the field the less rounds of elimination . Lets use 9 cars as an example they would probably shorten the field to 8 because having 9 would make one car keep having singles so If it was an 8 car field then you would have 4 eliminations first round then the semi final then the final .
Just remember people that not just in drag racing but in any sport based on eliminations the amount of rounds is based on how many cars are there . They wont just keep it at say a 16 car field if only 9 cars show up that would be silly

William - I (like many others) assumed that the 16 car Pro ladder was cast in stone. After a little rulebook digging, I found that the ladder may be modified for short fields. Don't know if this rule was changed for 2009, can't find my 2008 Rulebook. - :confused:

I just hope everyone keeps thinking the worst and not attend the races. Less crowds for me to have to fight my way through!!!! Anyone who has attended Gainesville knows exactly what I mean!!!! Like I always tell the newbies, come late and leave early you don't miss much. Same for you guys who are thinking negative, don't come to the races your not missing anything!!!!:rolleyes:;)

Now that is a Great Post Lynn, I didn't know you had it in ya! :p

I just got back from Vegas went for Fri to Sun. The place was packed I've never seen so many people there. It seems that some people still have LOTS of $$$ to spend. Maybe if the news quite telling us how bad things are and start telling us about some of the good things, maybe some people would open there wallets.

I think that NHRA is waiting to see what happens the first few races. There are many times where people whine and cry about something and come through in the end either way. Just because some people don't have a major sponsor doesn't mean they might not be able to make it out to race...it's happened before. Thats what I'm sticking with anyway :)

BTW: how many cars/drivers have we lost in FC and PS?

I just hope everyone keeps thinking the worst and not attend the races. Less crowds for me to have to fight my way through!!!! Anyone who has attended Gainesville knows exactly what I mean!!!! Like I always tell the newbies, come late and leave early you don't miss much. Same for you guys who are thinking negative, don't come to the races your not missing anything!!!!:rolleyes:;)

Yeah we just make these gloom and doom stories up. I agree with Bobby what we are witnessing isn't being made up. It will impact attendance you would be a fool to think otherwise. Bobby has been around the sport a very long time and for him to say this is the worse state he has seen the sport "ever" carries a lot of weight in my book so you keep living the fantasy! ;):p
People will and have complained about the prices to attend if the money value ("Get what you pay for") doesn't matter to you good for you but to most of the people it does matter. Combine 1000' and short fields for the same amount of money I'm going to go out on the lim and predict it won't sit well for most. I've been going to the drags since the late 60's early 70's so fewer crowds are fine to me but for the health of the sport it won't be a good thing I promise you that!
Just read the article this is going to be a real problem if NHRA keeps buring their heads in the sand and don't act.
Here is the article:Drag Racing Internet Magazine - Competition Plus.com - BOBBY BENNETT: PLEASE, SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING

Last edited:
The really sad thing about the global economy at the moment is that with all the doom and gloom people might spend less money which would probably make things worse where as if people put more money into the economy it would probably get better .

The really sad thing about the global economy at the moment is that with all the doom and gloom people might spend less money which would probably make things worse where as if people put more money into the economy it would probably get better .

I'm doing my part! Just look at my credit card statements from the past few months:(

Till they run out of money!
Doesn't make sense when people are losing their jobs to go out and spend their savings now does it?
The standard practice is to hold on to what you have when times are tough! Always has been and always will be.
You won't see any improvement until late next year at the earliest even then it won't trickle down to sponsorship money until the reserves are built up and there is sustainable growth.
I do think once we get out of this mess we will have a much stronger economy that will show steady sustained growth.

So Bob, does this mean I won't see you at any races this year?

It's not a money issue for me Joe it's more a time issue. I'm flying back in the states in about 3 weeks so I should be at the Winter Nationals.
I'm currently in beautiful Cairns Australia loving life as usual.
If I make it I will meet you at our favorite watering hole I will buy the first round! :D

This whole chaos that people think about this sport, is it really that Important that NHRA have 15-16 TFD's at a Race? I go to the track to get the FULL Experience! Fuel cars, Alky cars, Comp eliminator! Walking the pits seeing friends and such. And should I see only 12-13 TFD (guessing...) at Pomona I'm not going to piss and moan! There's another 500 cars out there putting on a show! I just don't buy into this "Nitro racing is dying" theme, there are Plenty of lesser funded teams that won't waste they're $$$ trying to qualify when they know they can't run 3.80-3.90's. And the fact that 1000' racing makes it more affordable for smaller teams, I'm willing to bet that the car counts are higher than people expect. We may not see a full field at a lot of races, but I don't think we'll just see 10-11 cars either!

Joe, I hope you're right...but looking at the entry list so far...not too promising!! 4 Comp Eliminator cars are all that are currently entered? 1 TF ? 209 entries against a quota of 462?? Yikes!

Joe, I hope you're right...but looking at the entry list so far...not too promising!! 4 Comp Eliminator cars are all that are currently entered? 1 TF ? 209 entries against a quota of 462?? Yikes!

Billy - where are you viewing Pomona entry list? I keep getting a URL error when I try to open it at NHRA.com! - Jim

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back