Night qualifying...Why? (1 Viewer)

Marchboom

Nitro Member
Although I love to watch the fuel cars under the lights, isn't it a waste of time and money as they won't be racing under those conditions on Sunday? Unless the eliminations go into the night (and cooler, more dense air) on Sunday, what can be gained by running at night? Except to possibly set a new record.

What am I missing here?

Although I love to watch the fuel cars under the lights, isn't it a waste of time and money as they won't be racing under those conditions on Sunday? Unless the eliminations go into the night (and cooler, more dense air) on Sunday, what can be gained by running at night? Except to possibly set a new record.

What am I missing here?

Apparently you're missing one very important point; this is show business and the Friday night qualifying is one of the best parts of the show.

Apparently you're missing one very important point; this is show business and the Friday night qualifying is one of the best parts of the show.

I was at Atlanta Dragway discussing the super attendance with some folks. I had a guy who is intimately familiar with the IHRA side of the house tell me that their Saturday "Night of Fire" program usually draws more fans than actual Sunday eliminations.

People like fire apparently....

People like fire apparently....

You're right Bruce, whether it's sitting around a campfire, or in front of a fireplace, and even at the drags, fire has fascinated mankind since it was first discovered in the cave man days. The only thing that universally comes close is the attraction of water, by a stream, lake or a rushing rapids. Fire and water soothes and awes mankind. We're so lucky. Other favorites are water rushing over a dam, the afterburner of a jet fighter plane. And fireworks on the 4th of July! And crashing surf at the North Shore.

At Denver Friday night qualifying draws a Biggeer crowd than Sat/Sun. It's a lot easier sitting in those stands at night in Cooler air than in the Blazing Sun when it's 90 degrees!

Nights allow people who work days to go. Night racing allows you to see the huge header flames, etc that are invisible during the day. Fireworks are best seen at night!:)

Looking at it from the team's perspective, I'd think that the Friday night session allows teams to "go for it" so to speak et wise, to try and get the best qualifying position they can. Pro Stock especially in the cool, dense evening air. Then, once solidly in the show, the best qualified teams can use the final two Sat sessions, barring weather complications, to fine tune their race day setup.

and to attract a corwd on friday you have to start qualifying later....let us not forget that people do work on friday....well at least they show up for work on fri :cool:

Yeah, it's definatley for the fans. Hell, for some people - like Scott Kalitta - that's been thier saving grace just to get qualified. Plus it's often opens the door for guys & girls to run like the dickens & get a record. It really becomes prominent at the hot summer tracks. The fireworks are neat too.

At Denver Friday night qualifying draws a Biggeer crowd than Sat/Sun. It's a lot easier sitting in those stands at night in Cooler air than in the Blazing Sun when it's 90 degrees!

Joe, you're right about Denver, even worse, the last few times at Denver, it's been more like 100 to 105 degres!! The Friday nite shows with the lightning storms make it even better....

Another possibility is that since there is less comparable info gained, it increases the possibility of pedal fests on Sunday. An occasional pedal fest during elims can add some excitement.

The Real Question is....

WHY NOT

I'd love to see 3 rounds of Qualifying on Friday; last chance at 11AM Saturday Morning... Pre-race at 4:30PM... Elims. Start at 5pm, 75 minutes between rounds, starting when the first pair run, not the last... and ever one go home by 11pm...

we'd get 2 things outta this... People don't lean on the cars as hard... and ya want to run as early in the round as you can

As a racer, I like the IHRA format a little better than NHRA's. The night sessions on the NHRA side tend to become more of a hero session and sometimes if you don't make a good pass on Friday night, you can be pretty screwed for Saturday.

At least in IHRA you get two shots at the track at night time.

I'm with you Tracy...yeah bitchin...I LOVE Friday night
Have a few beers...watch some eight foot flames glazin my eyes
ohhh yeaaahh!! :cool:

As a racer, I like the IHRA format a little better than NHRA's. The night sessions on the NHRA side tend to become more of a hero session and sometimes if you don't make a good pass on Friday night, you can be pretty screwed for Saturday.

At least in IHRA you get two shots at the track at night time.

That's what I like about Indy!:D

I gotta agree with T about the one Fri pass being the hero session. I dont think its that big of a deal for the fuel classes as much but in pro stock if your not in after Fri night there's a good chance you aint getting in unless your a top 5 car who just had problems. Plus fuel cars under lights will pack the stands. Personally I wish they would run all the sportsman stuff Friday morning, then move to alky, pro mod and the pros all afternoon Fri into the night and then do the same thing again on Sat, sportsman in the morning and most of the day, throw in q3 for the alky guys and then around 2 or 3 have your third pro session and then run first round of alky and pro mod then move into the final session under the lights. Sundays as usual.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back