NHRA SET TO RETURN TO POPULAR VIRGINIA MOTORSPORTS PARK FOR VIRGINIA NHRA NATIONALS IN 2024 (1 Viewer)

On the surface at least, I'm onboard with the Sportsman-only Friday. I've always said those racers - as talented and dedicated as any Pro team - deserve their day at national events without having to compete with the fuel cars. I'd LOVE to spend an entire day watching the 'stripe games' in the Super classes from the finish line stands; tour through the pits and marvel at the little-guy engineering that goes into Comp Elim, big-inch MMPS and 5 second PM racing and of course the alcohol classes. Then return Saturday for a day of throttle whacks and nitro sniffing. :)

the recipe for the perfect national event......4 days
thursday: STK, SS, TS, TD, Comp ...... qualifying all day long. at least 2 passes for each class ...... 80-120 car counts in STK and SS
friday: class elims in STK and SS. start eliminations in TS, TD, and Comp. run 2 pro Q sessions. this includes PM. second Q at sunset, or track permitting, under the lights. 2 jet cars end day.
saturday: sportsman eliminations combined with 2 more pro and PM Q sessions. includes 2fast 2tasty challenge .... 2 jet cars end the day.
sunday: 11am - parachute jumpers landing on strip as anthem/s end. engines start on last note. joe costello does not yell 'lets burn some nitro'

fans love the jet cars. i've seen it numerous times.
TAD, TAFC and super classes compete at divisionals, or swap out TS and TD for alcohol cars at nat. events, but not both.

article on complus .....
This format change was largely due in part to a collaboration between the teams and NHRA management.

article on complus .....
This format change was largely due in part to a collaboration between the teams and NHRA management.
I think the track had significant input into this as well. From what I hear, Virginia motorsports Park was not in favor of having a national event again, because the crowds were weak on Fridays, and the financial incentive was not there for such an enormous amount of effort. NHRA then decided that one way to make it more palatable was to have a two day event where they could potentially book the place full on Saturday and Sunday, especially by selling a two day ticket at a discount for attendance versus two one day tickets. Again, this is what I heard. and then there are advantages of not having a full staff on Friday because the mission series doesn’t start until Saturday. Just some information that may fit into the overall scheme of things.

Last edited:
I think the track had significant input into this as well. From what I hear, Virginia motorsports Park was not in favor of having a national event again, because the crowds were weak on Fridays, and the financial incentive was not there for such an enormous amount of effort. NHRA then decided that one way to make it more palatable was to have a two day event where they could potentially book the place full on Saturday and Sunday, especially by selling a two day ticket at a discount for attendance versus two one day tickets. Again, this is what I heard. and then there are advantages of not having a full staff on Friday because the mission series doesn’t start until Saturday. Just some information that may fit into the overall scheme of things.
you didn't hear wrong. The track did not want the national, hence why it left in the first place. I'm sure NHRA had to give up a lot to get the track back for this race.

Maybe NHRA becoming more agreeable on financial terms after losing Topeka?
I’m sure you’re right in that had something to do with it, but this is something we should not hope for, as in NHRA being in the position to where they have to seriously compromise. Although the reality is what it is. Hopefully NHRA is sound, although maybe not terrific, and we should never hope they are otherwise.

was the 3 session day a test in bradenton? to see how it went, with potential hope to trim expense at one, two, or maybe more events on the tour?
as others have already mentioned, whatever expenses are incurred by having the pros on track, less one day. even if rain is in forecast, you hopefully have
a 1 out of 2 chance for a dry day........one day you get 3 sessions of everyone, plus the tasty deal......the other day you get eliminations......with a good forecast,
that's one hell of a two day ticket.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back