NHRA revamping 2007 racing schedule? (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Supposedly they'll be starting the season later and ending it sooner with more back to back races and that will give them a better TV package with less conflict with football and basketball.

I heard also that Atlanta & St. Louis will swap dates.

Think it will happen?

It will probably prevent racers from running both NHRA and IHRA circuits at the very least.

Guess we'll have to wait and see? I wonder how the teams feel about it though, especially the less funded ones?
More back to backs, hmmm?
Longer off season, hmmm?
Better TV package, hmmm???
Not able to run much IHRA, hmmm?

Scheduling more back-to-back-to-backs will hurt the smaller low budget teams for sure.

I think that's what set Bruton Smith off trying to buy them out cause they kept changing Ennis date on top of his Texas Nascar Race !
He must have said WTF is going on over there!
Eddie Gossage his manager at Texas Motor Speedway said something similar to the press.
I wish they knew how hard it is to change my schedule so's as to be home for Ennis !
Like a row of domino's falling one person changing scedule causes that domino effect and Larry has to hide and disappear till everybody gets used to it or risk walking the plank!
Accually now that I think of it there's a certain ADRL Worlds Finals 15 min. from my house in october ! Hey Jackee tell them to change Ennis back to October for me and I'll be set up!
Larry00 in another life
!

Last edited:
Aside from a little tweaking (like perhaps moving the Reading race dates), I like the schedule the way it is. Personally, I'd rather see the NHRA add a couple of race dates. Twenty-five race dates per year sounds good to me.

i dont understand what the big deal is....it's not like the bigger names who are running the IHRA events (Gilby, Densham, etc) are ditching NHRA events to do so, but then again, it's the NHRA....they usually don't operate under the premise of making any logical sense :rolleyes:

I can't understand why they would want to move the Maple Grove date, that's one of only a few places that draws well after Labor Day. If they do move Reading I hope they switch it to October. Some of the best races I remember going to were Maple Grove 03 and 04, when rain forced the event to be run in October. They had huge crowds at those races and the cars ran great. The only problem with this could be the race in Richmond, but being as though Maple Grove has had their event for 22 years I would think they would have first choice over what date they wanted over Richmond.

Scheduling more back-to-back-to-backs will hurt the smaller low budget teams for sure.
Well they have created a situation where as, why would a lesser funded team even show up?

They've got the 16-18 (Top Fuel/Funny Car) cars they want, so they won't be worried.

I'd imagine they'd like to whittle down that pro stock deal to 18-20 cars too.

Unless the NHRA is planning to run on 23 consecutive weekends, IHRA would still be able to schedule most of their events on off-weekends. Even if they went to all three-in-a-row, there would still be six open weekends, and that would shorten the season way beyond what I've heard they were shooting for. My understanding is that they want to start two weeks later (Late February/early March) and end two weeks earlier (end of October). That's still a 35 week season, which means there just have to be 12 open weekends in there somewhere.

The theory that they are doing this to interfere with the IHRA is a pretty flimsy theory - this type of schedule change has been discussed for at least two years, well before the IHRA got smart and started scheduling off-weekends instead of head-to-head. And yeah, I know where folks read that theory, but my personal opinion is that it's not supported by the facts. NHRA isn't concerned about IHRA, they are more concerned with competition from football and "the chase" (you know, the NASCAR second-season after they have a bunch of practice races to determine who gets thrown off the island?)

Unless the NHRA is planning to run on 23 consecutive weekends, IHRA would still be able to schedule most of their events on off-weekends. Even if they went to all three-in-a-row, there would still be six open weekends, and that would shorten the season way beyond what I've heard they were shooting for. My understanding is that they want to start two weeks later (Late February/early March) and end two weeks earlier (end of October). That's still a 35 week season, which means there just have to be 12 open weekends in there somewhere.

The theory that they are doing this to interfere with the IHRA is a pretty flimsy theory - this type of schedule change has been discussed for at least two years, well before the IHRA got smart and started scheduling off-weekends instead of head-to-head. And yeah, I know where folks read that theory, but my personal opinion is that it's not supported by the facts. NHRA isn't concerned about IHRA, they are more concerned with competition from football and "the chase" (you know, the NASCAR second-season after they have a bunch of practice races to determine who gets thrown off the island?)
There's a man who makes sense

If you don't think interfering with IHRA is a big part of this we need to talk about some swamp land in Florida.

I can't understand why they would want to move the Maple Grove date, that's one of only a few places that draws well after Labor Day. If they do move Reading I hope they switch it to October. Some of the best races I remember going to were Maple Grove 03 and 04, when rain forced the event to be run in October. They had huge crowds at those races and the cars ran great. The only problem with this could be the race in Richmond, but being as though Maple Grove has had their event for 22 years I would think they would have first choice over what date they wanted over Richmond.
In the process of moving a few weeks ago, I found a pair of unused tickets for each day of the '04 race that rained out. I couldn't go to due to the fact that I had to be in a wedding the rescheduled weekend. They're only good for bookmarks now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back