NHRA Announces Changes To Oildown And In-Season Testing Policies (1 Viewer)

I didn't see Lucas, Al-anabi, Bernstein, Tasca, or Vandergriff match racing in the last few years either, and I'm not 100% sure about Kalitta. I'm pretty sure there was more then just one owner wanting a testing rule. But I hope with this new change that we do get to see some more match racing though. But I'm not going to get to excited until I see it with my own eyes. Time will tell.

Bob Vandergrif doesn't match race neither does Johnson, or Conrad .

It would be great to see a market for funny car match racing , that might open the door for more racers to build funny cars.

Last edited:
It would be absurd for a track to pay big show cars if they are trying to turn a profit.

Last summer, Bakersfield hael what they called "Saturday Night Nitro" The place was full of Nostalgia funnys, Newstalgia TF, nitro Harleys, Fuel altereds etc. Not a single big show car.

Great turnout. Great racing. Lots of noise and header flames. Crowd couldn't have cared less that John Force was not there.

They did three or four of them last year. They were a success and will happen again this year.

There are plenty of nitro cars around for tracks to copy this deal.

You are dead wrong the match racing we do funds our car for the 10 to 12 races we do.

Bobby and Dom Lagana also do match races

Wow. How many match races do you guys do per year? Where are they done? I sure don't hear about them (besides Norwalk and Cordova). I am close to a lot of tracks, if somebody is going to burn some nitro, I will come watch!

With such a hectic schedule as it is, I can't see the teams doing too much testing at tracks that aren't on the schedule. Track prep for the big show cars will be a costly affair, and only so many tracks can afford it, being easiest for those that have all the equipment there already (Monday MONDAY Monday!)

I would love to see big funny car shows again, but like someone said, the nostalgia guys have a good thing, it just needs to be promoted far and wide. Start filling up the stands in those smaller tracks. A nitro fix can be injected by bikes, floppers, or rails. Grassroots this sport back to the top!

Yeah there are a handful of times when you'll see big-show cars do a booked in event, they've pretty much been mentioned already. The Pedregon Bros. used to do a deal at Lancaster, or Dunn Tire raceway, near Buffalo for a few years, but I don't think they are any more. Like Jay and others have mentioned, there are PLENTY of fuel burning machines out there. I would love to see one of those Saturday nite shows that they're doing in Bakersfield. To me, that's the future of booked in nitro. Rather than spend a fortune for 2-4 big show cars, put together a great show of nostalgia FCs, dragsters and fuel altereds. And maybe a couple jets. And I think that would be WAY more entertainment bang for the buck.

Rather than spend a fortune for 2-4 big show cars, put together a great show of nostalgia FCs, dragsters and fuel altereds. And maybe a couple jets. And I think that would be WAY more entertainment bang for the buck.

For the last few years, I have gone to the Night of Fire in Cedar Falls, IA and it is a great time. The DRO Nostalgia FC series is there, plus jets, wheelstanders, front engine dragsters, the Duncan Pro Mod series, plus thier regular race program. It's a very fun weekend. Plenty of nitro to go around. :D

Last edited:
131 in Martin, MI has an event each September.

They bring in several nastalgia cars and a wide variety. They usually book in two big show cars as well

Haddock and Creasy have races there past. I'm drawing a blank on who else has been there.

With the lifting of the ban, tracks would be smart to try to get something.
Bader makes a killing on his event at Norwalk and he books in a ton of Nitro.

Keep it simple, Just book two Nitro cars, fill in with some nastalgia cars, maybe a jet or wheelstander as well as the normal track cars and they could put together a good show.

The Forces and Schumachers might be too pricey but I would think the Cruz and Tony would jump at the chance. Head, Wilk and several others too.

Granted with the growing schedule you only have a few limited dates to get these in but why not.

Ideally you put these races where the NHRA doesn't reach, sort of a bring the Nitro to the people deal. We all know there is a difference between watching it on TV and seeing it live. Get the people hooked in person, then they will have a fan who will watch it on TV and maybe travel further to see more.

Wow. How many match races do you guys do per year? Where are they done? I sure don't hear about them (besides Norwalk and Cordova). I am close to a lot of tracks, if somebody is going to burn some nitro, I will come watch!

New England Dragway in Epping runs annual match races for Funny Cars and Top Fuel.

Epping now has an NHRA National Event, so I would assume it can be considered more of a "major" track than Red River Raceway, etc...

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back