NFL Lightning Delays (since when? And am I the only one who thinks this is nuts??) (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
I'm no football historian, but I can't recall an NFL game being delayed due to lightning before this year. Is this something new? And here's what really gets me.... OK, so say they take a weather delay, get the players off the field for thier own safety...... BUT LEAVE THE 40,000 FANS TO FEND FOR THEMSELVES!! Makes perfect sense..... protect the millionares, forget the admission payers.

Granted I've never been in this situation as a fan; but at some stadiums it's difficult if not impossible to cram everyone into the covered councourses. I guess it's another aspect to think about when building any open stadium. Then, consider our sport.... absolutley no viable protection whatsoever for large groups of people.

Re: NFL Lightning Delays (since when? And am I the only one who thinks this is nuts??

I'm no football historian, but I can't recall an NFL game being delayed due to lightning before this year. Is this something new? And here's what really gets me.... OK, so say they take a weather delay, get the players off the field for thier own safety...... BUT LEAVE THE 40,000 FANS TO FEND FOR THEMSELVES!! Makes perfect sense..... protect the millionares, forget the admission payers.

Granted I've never been in this situation as a fan; but at some stadiums it's difficult if not impossible to cram everyone into the covered councourses. I guess it's another aspect to think about when building any open stadium. Then, consider our sport.... absolutley no viable protection whatsoever for large groups of people.

Are you referring to last week's Broncos' game at Invesco?

Re: NFL Lightning Delays (since when? And am I the only one who thinks this is nuts??

Last year we had a lightning delay at a Texas Longhorns game here in Austin and they took the upper deck seating out first (its REALLY up there at DKR Stadium!!!) and then the good seats afterwards and it got pretty crowded!!! The good thing for us was a BUNCH of people left and we sat damn near the 50 yard line a few rows off the sideline for the rest of the game.
It rained on us yesterday at the game, but no lightning and the game continued on.

Are you referring to last week's Broncos' game at Invesco?

Yeah, and I think Tampa took one today. My buddy was at that game last week, he said they did not officially "evacuate" the stands; many people stayed in thier seats and watched the jumbotron. You have to remember, I'm from Detroit Rock City (Kalittatown).... I grew up going to Lions' games in the wonderful climate-controlled 72 degree Pontiac Silverdome!! I went to one Bronco's game (my only outdoor game ever), it was windy & about 27 degrees on a Sunday night last year. Not an empty seat in the place. Just like any other city in the north, Those are some damn hearty fans to do that every week.

Yeah, and I think Tampa took one today. My buddy was at that game last week, he said they did not officially "evacuate" the stands; many people stayed in thier seats and watched the jumbotron. You have to remember, I'm from Detroit Rock City (Kalittatown).... I grew up going to Lions' games in the wonderful climate-controlled 72 degree Pontiac Silverdome!! I went to one Bronco's game (my only outdoor game ever), it was windy & about 27 degrees on a Sunday night last year. Not an empty seat in the place. Just like any other city in the north, Those are some damn hearty fans to do that every week.
Invesco's not even a convertible stadium, is it? I'm watching the Bronc's get stomped on by the Colts. GRRRR. Come on Broncos! Didja come to play or just for the buffet?

I know a lot of people that agree with you Chris however I couldn't stand the Silverdome. I'm a firm believer that football should be played outside on grass. I've been to many Michigan football games where I have sat through frigid temps or driving rain storms. To me that's football and I love it! I admit that it's nice to sit in the sun and watch a game but I used to be proud of the fact that the Lions were one of the "tough" northern teams that played outside. Football weather! Not anymore ...

I think it was 2 years ago that a Michigan game was halted temporarily due to lightnig. You mentioned 40,000 fans to fend for themselves ... How about 111,000!:eek:

Indoor football just isnt the same. Its all part of the experience when its cold, rainy and in the 20's or when it sunny, nice breeze and in the 70s...all outdoors in the elements!!!:cool:

I never got that....until I spent a semester at High School in Midwest City, Okla. THAT was one cold freakin' football season! But I thoroughly enjoyed it.....not something I ever got in Pasadena, TX. Oh, sure....I experienced some games in the 50's, but nothing I ever needed a flask for. ;)

I never got that....until I spent a semester at High School in Midwest City, Okla. THAT was one cold freakin' football season! But I thoroughly enjoyed it.....not something I ever got in Pasadena, TX. Oh, sure....I experienced some games in the 50's, but nothing I ever needed a flask for. ;)

Lmao, never judge how the game went by the contents left in the flask :)

I never had one when I played but my boys all played in weather games and I can remember at least three games that were postponed due to lightening. The fans nearly always just migrated under the stands (and the smart ones didn't keep a hold of the metal supports.)
It's better to be safe than sorry.

God bless the Green Bay Packers!!! They LOOOOOVE to play in all sorts of bad weather! Those are some die-hard fans too! I guess the cheese does keep you head warm!

God bless the Green Bay Packers!!! They LOOOOOVE to play in all sorts of bad weather! Those are some die-hard fans too! I guess the cheese does keep you head warm!

bite your tongue!!! GO BEARS!!!:D

bite your tongue!!! GO BEARS!!!:D
In the name of all that is good and decent, please let these bears win some games after what has happened to Mike's Golden Domers. Not only have the wheels fallen off, but they rolled into an unfathomable canyon.

.......the wonderful climate-controlled 72 degree Pontiac Silverdome!!.......

much the same as being a viking's fan, a dome provides enough
comfort so you continually buy overpriced cold beer all the way
thru the 4th quarter while watching your team lose the majority
of their games:D

In the name of all that is good and decent, please let these bears win some games after what has happened to Mike's Golden Domers. Not only have the wheels fallen off, but they rolled into an unfathomable canyon.

Bobby, you make a good point :eek:

What he said, Mike buddy!

I'm no football historian, but I can't recall an NFL game being delayed due to lightning before this year. Is this something new? And here's what really gets me....

I seem to remember watching a NFL Hall of Fame Game on tv from Canton, Ohio back in the late 70's or 80's that was called on account of lightning. Pretty sure they called it quits rather than just delay the game, though.

I guess it's just what you're used to or where you grew up. (No matter what happens to it), the Silverdome will always be special to me & my family. My parents had a suite there, I met Erik "Ponch" Estrada at a car show there, we did Super Bowl 16, Wrestlemania I, countless concerts, tractor pulls, Supercross, Lions, Pistons, USFL, Soccer, Rodeo. I practically grew up there. But y'all can have your outdoor football !!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back