New Win Light Format beginning at Winternationals (1 Viewer)

at all tracks, there are 2 win lights per lane, one on the scoreboard and one on the guard rail, for the drivers sake. for qualifying the scoreboard can indicate quickest time and the guardrail light can indicate first to the stripe or vise versa. everybody's happy !!

I want to see this in action before I comment either way on it. I like the concept on paper, but want to see it play out in real life.

Just turn off the win light and let the numbers on the scoreboard tell the story. If a spectator can't tell which number is lower, hence a better qualifying run, than a course in remedial math is required.

A lot of people just go one day. They don't go on Sunday to see eliminations. They aren't educated fans in terms of drag racing and who qualifies where. They just came to see fast cars go down the track and see someone get beat because they won't see that on actual race day. They talk between runs about the weather, girlfriends, fishing, then two cars leave the starting line and they look back at the track. They say things like "Watch Force kick Capps' @$$, haha." With the change Force does, but the win light comes on in Capps' lane. In a sense this IS race day for them. And I think it's race day for a huge percentage of people in the stands. I've talked to them.

That's exactly what my experience has been sitting in the stands at Englishtown. People like Alan and just about everyone on this board are in it for the long haul (meant as a compliment). Things like qualifying position, oildown points, and all that stuff matters to the people who are in it till the final race of the year. To the average joe in the stands, every race is, well a race. On a side by side race, decided by inches I quite frankly don't care who bumped up a spot or two. To your example, I'm in the excitement of that moment, the side by side race. I want that instant gratification that Force drove around Capps on that last inch because from my vantage point Capps looked like he was ahead.

As a random side note, and is not something people on this thread are going to change...why do the scoreboards still look like a 1980's alarm clock in this day and age? The local college summer baseball team has a high def scoreboard in the outfield. You could keep the size of the current scoreboards and put so much info up there if these tracks and/or NHRA invest money.

Which 4 Wide are you going to? There are 2 this year.

I saw the drag strip on Sunday, and I am very grateful that we have good weather in Vegas. If we were back East ... let's just say there is still a lot of work to do.

I forgot about Vegas...I'm going to Charlotte. I live about 2.5 hours from there, so it will be a nice day trip.

i thought i was the only one who stop going after they short'n the track ! looks like the two of us holding out, wasn't enuff for the NHRA to fold to the pressure and go back to the 1/4 mile:p

Haha! It is what it is. I don't lose sleep over it, if the fans still like it, then great they made the right decision! It's just not for me, I've taken the money and traveled around the country to different baseball parks with the family.

My money says both of you guys were about to move on from that stage of your life anyway. All things involve turnover, the challenge is to keep the new ones coming in and the old ones hanging on, but safety had to rule the day for the 1000ft decision .... I wonder how many people we are still getting to talk about, that we wouldn't be otherwise.

My money says both of you guys were about to move on from that stage of your life anyway. All things involve turnover, the challenge is to keep the new ones coming in and the old ones hanging on, but safety had to rule the day for the 1000ft decision .... I wonder how many people we are still getting to talk about, that we wouldn't be otherwise.

your absolutely right, the 1000ft was a small reason i stop going. the real reason is a combination of my laziness and all the people i used to go with are too old or no longer interested!

[/QUOTE]As a random side note, and is not something people on this thread are going to change...why do the scoreboards still look like a 1980's alarm clock in this day and age? The local college summer baseball team has a high def scoreboard in the outfield. You could keep the size of the current scoreboards and put so much info up there if these tracks and/or NHRA invest money.[/QUOTE]

Ive wondered the same thing. So many businesses have installed big led signs that even play video. There is a lot of cool things I think they could do with it. Imagine if they installed led screens every so often on the outside wall going down the track. I know, I know that’s a lot of money,lol.

I guess my point is if you go to the Indy 500 the week before the race you know it is qualifying for the race. You want to see the race then you go the day of the race. If you go to the drags on Friday or Saturday you are there to see Pro qualifying and sportsman eliminations. It is marketed this way so to the occasional fan how could they not know the pros are not racing? You want to see the pros eliminate each other then go on Sunday. The atmosphere at the track on Sunday morning is like no other. The excitement and nervousness is so thick in the air you can cut it with a knife. I still vote for no win lights in qualifying but ladder boards on the big screen.

i feel fortunate nhra continues to invest in the mobile video screen we all see at the races......i've alway thought
that on friday and saturday they should show 1 thru 16 over and over again as each pair goes down the track. let's say
i'm watching ron capps and dale creasy. a quick glance at the screen while they are burning out tells me capps is currently 5th
and creasy is 17th. i can see not only where they are on the ladder, but can also see their posted time from Q1, 2 or 3.
then they run and i'll know immediately if capps moved up or creasy bumped into field......if you sit in first half of track and
don't have headphones tuned into PA feed, chances are you can not hear. all you have is a bump spot number on the far
end scoreboards. and unless you are really following the cars in each class, how do you even know exactly where capps is
qualified, much less creasy, or anyone else on the outside looking in?.....in a nut shell, IMO the large video screen could be utilized
better during qualifying.
not saying the screen isn't used to show Q lists at all; it is, but sometimes not until the end
of the session. if a Q list were shown and updated continually during each session as each pair runs, i think the fans in the stands could quickly follow each run and where that driver ends up
on the list. some dedicated fans sit with their program and fill in each time in each round per
driver. IMO that group is a small minority, not to mention, they do not need teaching.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I would love to see a scoreboard with driver's numbers, qualifying positions/times and the qualifying pairings! This would've been helpful in the Top 12 era.

Whew! I'm glad that's over. On the minus side, I'm going to miss taking taking the drunk guy in the 32nd row's money every day.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back