World Series of Pro Mod - $100k Winner Take All (1 Viewer)

Frank

Nitro Member
I just found out about this event so I thought I would share it. Living in Denver, I'm for sure going to attend. $100k is a biiiiig chunk of change. The format is unique, and though I might not like everything about the format, I commend them for trying something new and I'm sure Bandimere will promote the hell out of it to ensure a great turnout.

https://dragillustrated.com/drag-illustrated-to-hold-100000-to-win-world-series-of-pro-mod/

http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/interview-wes-buck-talks-world-series-of-pro-mod

Bandimere is a gorgeous place to have a race like this. Of the national event tracks I've been to, that is my favorite.

this will be an awesome race.....wes buck has vision. mite be the most talked about race of the year.

I will be there as well. I hope they pack Bandimere speedway. It will be interesting to see who gets the invites. I would think most of the normal NHRA runners will be invited but I'm hoping to see some other guys as well. The only two that I know of that got invites were Mike Janis and Mike Knowles. Michael Bowman expressed interest in running but not sure if he was invited.

The NHRA has been running full fields in Pro Mods, 28+ cars per event. Only 16 cars in the WSPOM. 14 invitees, 1 fan vote and the winner of the shootout on Friday night. So many good cars and drivers. Some tough choices for Wes. Should be a great race!

From what I understand, it costs $1000 to enter the Friday shootout. Not sure how many teams will pay that entry for a chance at the Saturday prize.

With the money the Pro Mod teams have invested in their programs, I can't picture any one of them worrying about a $1000 entry fee for a shot at $100K. Remember, these guys pay NHRA to play in their sandbox.

pre- decided 1st round pairings.....4 rnds for $100k.....lots of time to think about first round apponent....
- we're always faster than him, but sometimes he pulls one out of the bag, do we run our normal deal? or step on it?
- he always beats us, but sometimes we can surprise, how should we tune? how should we stage?
are you kidding me!? for that big paycheck? with no timers?.....the first round of this race will be unlike any other.
they are totally removing the et/mph 'wow' factor......bob vs. jack.....cousin vs. cousin....mopar vs. chevy.
IMO this format is great.

If the Whiteley's are invited my money is on them. They have a lot of experience at the track with their blown Alky cars. Not sure what type of combo will work best in the thin air but it will be great to watch.

Man there are so many cars that could win, pretty much anybody that is in the line-up. Tons of cars that fly, plus the unpredictability of these animals. That would be a race worth flying out for.

Chris, the entry fee for Pro Mod at a regular NHRA event is $500, so when factoring in the $100k prize, I think there will be plenty of racers who will be willing to pony up the grand to take a shot at the big money.

James - Yes it will be the full quarter mile.

Nunzio - If you have two weeks vacation, you could catch the Mile High Nationals July 21-23, hang out for two weeks going to Rockies games, concerts at Red Rocks, plethora of brewery tours, etc., then catch the Pro Mod race August 4th and 5th. :D

Chris again - I agree the Whiteley family would be tough to beat. At last year's night of fire and thunder they had four pro mods. Steve Matusek, Danny Rowe, Mike Knowles, and Clint Satterfield. So three supercharged cars and one turbo. It was either Matusek or Rowe who had low ET, I want to say low 6.0's and Satterfield had top speed in the mid to upper 240's. Satterfield wasn't too far off on the E.T. so those two combos should do fine, but we'll see when it comes to nitrous. These times were run in May and the World Series is in August so they might be a bit slower with the extra heat, but who cares, it should be great racing.
Here is an excerpt from an article last year where they were talking to Rowe and Matusek about the future of Pro Mod:
Matusek recalls RPM’s appearance at Bandimere’s Night of Fire and Thunder race this May and the positive response of the crowd.

“We signed more autographs at that one race in Denver than we have the whole season. Fans had a great time, and the Pro Mods ran fast. That’s what racing should be,” he says. “We have track operators calling us to come out, and that’s a good feeling. To have NHRA-legal Pro Mod cars headline a major event at a track like Bandimere—I have to believe we’re doing something right.”

I'm curious about the Friday night shootout as well. I'm assuming the 14 invites and 1 fan vote won't be racing since they're already in the field. So how many other cars will be invited or allowed to race for the one remaining spot? 4, 8, 12, 16, as many that show up and pay the fee??? Could there really end up being 30 or so Pro Mods on the property? Hey, a guy can dream, cant' he?! :D

From what I have heard it is open to anyone who wants to pay the entry. In my wildest dreams we would see 20+ cars show up for the Friday race but I doubt that will happen. More realistically we will probably get 8-12 but that would be a good turnout. There aren't many promods out west. Now if this race was down south I couldn't imagine the number of cars they could get.

It wouldn't be right to just wipe out PS. I still like them, and after reading the article in Hot Rod I found a new appreciation for them again. However, having almost 16 Camaros is no fun, 16 Chevy cars period is no fun. Not sure what the answer is. And again, as has been discussed, the Pro Mod guys are happy with a 10-12 race schedule, double that and it will just screw that class up, IMO.

Eleven names have been announced as invited entries:
Mike Knowles
Jim Whitely
Steven Whitely
Stevie Jackson
Troy Coughlin
Danny Rowe
Steve Matusek
Eric Latino
Clint Satterfield
Mike Janis
Pete Farber

Also Aeromotive is sponsoring the $10000 Friday race so anyone with a NHRA legal pro mod can run with no entry fee. Winner also gets the entry to the Saturday race.

Guessing these drivers would be the leading candidates for the remaining 5 spots (3 invitations, plus 1 spot open for the fan vote and 1 spot open for the Friday night shootout winner). Current 2017 & Final 2016 stats included. Food for thought.

Mike Castellana 2017-1st / 2016-9th
Jonathan Gray/Ricky Smith 2017-6th / 2016-1st
Michael Biehle 2017-9th / 2016-4th
Khalid al-Balooshi 2017-11th / 2016-7th
Shane Molinari 2017-7th / 2016-22nd
Sidney Frigo 2017-8th / 2016-19th
Bob Rahaim 2017-19th / 2016-3rd

Other considerations not on the list, Shannon Jenkins, Todd Tutterow, Kevin Rivenbark and Chip King. I'm sure there are others as well

Even if not invited I would expect some of them listed. I know Shannon Jenkins and Michael Bowman inquired about an invite so they are possibilities as well. Larry Morgan is another guy that came to mind. The Friday race is rumored to at least be four rounds which would mean 16 or more cars for the shootout.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back