New Nevada DOT Law (1 Viewer)

This is the oldest trick in the book like motel and car rental tax and that is to tax those that don't live there. Usually the local citizens that don't pay it don't care so there's no political opposition.

The best way to get around this is to put "Bill's Antique Cars" on the side of your trailer. For people worried about the commercial aspects just put a giant picture of your car on the side of your trailer.

I was checking on this permit and the place I called told me that I'd also need to pay for a IFTA permit of $40, per way. Bringing my total to $79.00. Anybody else know about that IFTA?

what is that? If I was a track op in Vegas or Fallon I'd be calling my legislator. Common sense can get these unintended effects of these bills remedied.

I was checking on this permit and the place I called told me that I'd also need to pay for a IFTA permit of $40, per way. Bringing my total to $79.00. Anybody else know about that IFTA?
Jenn, IFTA stands for [international fuel tax agreement]
I know that on all the semi race transporters we have to have an IFTA sticker on the door and then we have to report how many miles we drive and how many gallons of fuel we buy in each state. You can check with the dot of the state your truck is licensed out of or the federal dot to learn more about it.

Jenn, IFTA stands for [international fuel tax agreement]
I know that on all the semi race transporters we have to have an IFTA sticker on the door and then we have to report how many miles we drive and how many gallons of fuel we buy in each state. You can check with the dot of the state your truck is licensed out of or the federal dot to learn more about it.

Thank you. I'll look that up now.

what is that? If I was a track op in Vegas or Fallon I'd be calling my legislator. Common sense can get these unintended effects of these bills remedied.

Problem is, Rich- this IS the intended effect. It's just another income-generating device used by the legislature to do some things that are worth it for the state, as well as some things that have us all saying "WTF?"

I wonder if your point about the track managers will cause some action, although there is no proof of Loss of Revenue by the tracks to report on yet. Give it a year, and if the lack of CA/AZ/UT/etc. teams is substancial enough, maybe we have a fight. Until then, break out a Benjamin for your travel race day...:(

I truly hope I am wrong about this tho...

Probably would be an uphill battle to get any tax (fee, permit, etc--they are all taxes) repealed, especially in light of the fact that out of state folks are paying. I had a good friend who was a state legislator and he told me the big problem with auto related things in the legislature is that most legislators dont have a clue about things automotive. He and a colleague tried to get the title procedure simplified for old cars and met a lot of oppostion because the others just did not understand, and would not take time to try to understand. With the scramble for bucks going on now in government, I am afraid we are going to see all kinds of revenue generation.:(

The part that bothers me the most about this deal is the 24 hour time frame. You break down in Baker, get it fixed hours later, and roll into Nevada an hour after your permit expires? Are they gonna write us up?

Or is this ruling all smoke and mirrors? Just trying to garner additional revenues from those of us that are law abiding citizens fearful of the penalties?

If they're not going to write you up for being outside the time window, then why have it at all? Just make it a per trip deal within a 30 day period.

And common sense would dictate that they issue a sticker you could place on the back door of the trailer showing your compliance instead of pulling you over to find out. But I'm sure that makes too much sense.

The part that bothers me the most about this deal is the 24 hour time frame. You break down in Baker, get it fixed hours later, and roll into Nevada an hour after your permit expires? Are they gonna write us up?

Or is this ruling all smoke and mirrors? Just trying to garner additional revenues from those of us that are law abiding citizens fearful of the penalties?

If they're not going to write you up for being outside the time window, then why have it at all? Just make it a per trip deal within a 30 day period.

And common sense would dictate that they issue a sticker you could place on the back door of the trailer showing your compliance instead of pulling you over to find out. But I'm sure that makes too much sense.

Seems like any other bullchit rule- all the rules will come out of the woodwork as they need them to. You can abide by the letter of the law, and yet, as you mentioned, a highway incident could occur and you could get boned for time. And since there is no way to get the permit at the border... what- does that mean your trip is cancelled??

Example was in September when we were towing up for the Divisional- we planned to be on the way out of Tucson at noon. Picked up the RV and ran into an electrical problem hooking up the trailer. Got on the road 3 hours late, which in this case put us REALLY close on time. We then hit one of the biggest desert thunderstorms I've ever seen in my 48 years, just outside of Blyth. Road speed came down to 30 from 55, and tacked on about another 2 hours on the trip. We hit the border at about 1 AM and LVMS at 2... With this rule, we would have been screwed just because of, what- the weather?!?!

I see a future of lots of out-of-state folks banging their heads against the wall on this one....:mad:

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back