New Nevada DOT Law (1 Viewer)

foamy

Nitro Member
For anyone towing to Las Vegas be advised that the Nevada DOT has changed the permit requirements.

To confirm this go to the Nevada DOT web site.

Any truck/motor home / trailer combination weighing more than 10,001 pounds must purchase a travel permit IN ADVANCE of entering the State of Nevada. The old 25,001 weight limit NO LONGER APPLIES.

In July of 2009 AB 372 passed changing the permit requirements. The new Law is in effect right NOW!

The cost of a permit from the California / Nevada border to the Las Vegas Race Track is about $39.00 (one way and only good for one day). The return permit is ANOTHER $39.00. These permits MUST be obtained in advance, you can not get them once you have entered the State. You must contact the Nevada DOT to pay for these permits.

The violation Fines are:

1st Offense - $500
2nd Offense - $1000
3rd Offense - $1500

Permits are required for any trailer combination that weights more than 10,001 pounds and is hauling a vehicle that has the "Potential" to earn income, whether you actually win money or not. Classic car transporters are exempt, furnature hauling is exempt, horse trailers are exempt but NOT Race Cars.

To confirm this go to the Nevada DOT web site:
http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/mc-ab372-may09.pdf

I copied this from another message board and thought I would pass it along.
Apparently this happened to somebody this weekend.
If this has been posted before, or belongs in a different forum, then the Mods can have their way with it.

So thats means a pick up truck and a 24ft trailer would have to pay that..A$$ holes..that not right

For F*$% sakes. So do you now have to have your CDL and all that stuff too? And you have to get your permits in advance? Where does it end with these people?

it says right there a pick up hauling a stock car for income. Wait till every state catches on to this. what if you live in Nevada and race in Nevada? do you need a permit every time you go out to the track to race your car? You people in nevada need to get that law changed otherwise it's going to cost you 80.00 bucks just to transport your car to the race track.

MAY I SEE YOUR PAPERS OLD MON?

Last edited:
Man, my little ol' pick-em-up and flat trailer are lookin' better every day....:D

it says right there a pick up hauling a stock car for income. Wait till every state catches on to this. what if you live in Nevada and race in Nevada? do you need a permit every time you go out to the track to race your car? You people in nevada need to get that law changed otherwise it's going to cost you 80.00 bucks just to transport your car to the race track.

MAY I SEE YOUR PAPERS OLD MON?

Be careful Rich. Your state of Oregon has far worse penalties that YOU are currently breaking by dragging your billboard trailer up and down the interstate. You must pay by the mile while traveling throughout the state, although you won't go broke traveling to Woodburn. Most states have the same law that Nevada has unless you subscribe to the IRP system of reporting road taxes. And all those toter homes with "recreational vehicle, etc," are also illegal under federal law and it's Federal Law that dictates your use of the highway system.

I have talked and talked to the weight master people in person and on the phone and was honest about everything. I was told that 26,000 lbs is the magic number. if you are under that no problem. I have drove past the weight stations more times than I can count and never had a problem.

As I have said many times before until I see pickups at weight stations I aint gunna stop. And in California it says 'No Pickups"

For that reason, when I was hauling my 36 foot goosneck back and forth across the country I chose a dually pickup instead of a top kick, etc. I drove past all weigh stations in every state I went thru coast to coast, and was never stopped.

I have talked and talked to the weight master people in person and on the phone and was honest about everything. I was told that 26,000 lbs is the magic number. if you are under that no problem. I have drove past the weight stations more times than I can count and never had a problem.

And they never asked you if you were a commercial venture and received money? The 26K only has to do with having a CDL and logging ability so they are looking out for $$$$.

As I have said many times before until I see pickups at weight stations I aint gunna stop. And in California it says 'No Pickups"

And you've been pretty lucky in California. The no "pickups" only has to do with ma and pa going down the road. California law, in compliance with federal law, says if you receive any prize money you are a commercial venture and subject to commercial laws, regardless of GVW. Good for you as you've gotten away with it as I have, but it's always in the back of my mind.

And now with the number being 10,001, if you are a pickup with an enclosed trailer, don't doubt that they will LET you slip by the weigh station, then bang you 20 miles down the road and give your rig a once over with a portable scale and a list of all the races taking place in the area- bigger bucks for them :mad:

Last edited:
And they never asked you if you were a commercial venture and received money? The 26K only has to do with having a CDL and logging ability so they are looking out for $$$$.

And you've been pretty lucky in California. The no "pickups" only has to do with ma and pa going down the road. California law, in compliance with federal law, says if you receive any prize money you are a commercial venture and subject to commercial laws, regardless of GVW. Good for you as you've gotten away with it as I have, but it's always in the back of my mind.

Greg Oliver was pulled over in Sante Fe Springs, CA, in a dually and 39 foot two axle Chaparrell trailer and written up for no CDL.

Wow! it's always in the back of my mind especially when I have gone into California. the only thing I was told up here is that I should get a truck plate. But I was also told they don't go out of their way to go after racers. I guess I'll get that cdl if I ever go to California again. At this point I'll be lucky just to race in Woodburn 20 miles down the road.

The way it was explained to me by the Highway Police (Arkansas's DOT), was if you are driving a commercial vehicle with a GVW of 10,001 lbs or more, you are under the Federal guidelines which requires a DOT # and as he told me you basically follow all the guidelines as any tractor trailer rig running up and down the interstate--log book, DOT #, health card, etc. 26000 lbs requires a CDL. We used a crew cab dually with a 30 ft trailer and were issued a DOT #. I was told since the dually was only used commercially when towing the trailer, that a magnetic sign with the company name and DOT # would work. I asked the officer about stopping at the scales and he told me in all honesty that they would probably never give a second look to a rig like mine. He did say however if you had a lettered up trailer with "Billy Bob's Racing Team sponsored by Pennzoil" you probably would be looked at. Technically, he said you were required to go through the scales. I usually just drive on by, and fortunately have not been stopped. I have however, had friends who have been chased down and stopped and told some real horror stories. Danny Nelson at Racecraft Chassis told me that he stopped at the scales leaving Bowling Green once, was pulled around for a DOT inspection, and fined over $900. He said he stood there and watched racer after racer go by and not stop. When he asked the DOT guy about them, he replied "Well, you were dumb enough to stop". Apparently some states are tougher than others. I have heard a few horror stories about Missouri and Tennessee. I was also told by the DOT guy that racers were considered commercial since you had the POTENTIAL to win money, and that the days of tractor trailer motorhomes with LICENSED AS MOTORHOME AND NOT COMMERCIAL were going to come to a close. I also heard from a racer buddy a few years ago that the DOT in Texas sat up outside the Motorplex and wrote a bunch of tickets including improperly stored fuel and no paperwork on the fuel. I know he paid a pretty good fine. Enforcement will probably get tougher as states scramble for more revenue. That HD2500 and open trailer is looking a lot better to me now.

Greg Oliver was pulled over in Sante Fe Springs, CA, in a dually and 39 foot two axle Chaparrell trailer and written up for no CDL.

And now with the number being 10,001, if you are a pickup with an enclosed trailer, don't doubt that they will LET you slip by the weigh station, then bang you 20 miles down the road and give your rig a once over with a portable scale and a list of all the races taking place in the area- bigger bucks for them :mad:

Both Randy's post along with yours reminded me that any advertising or descriptive sign-age on either your tow vehicle or towed vehicle also make you a commercial enterprise.
A lot of these laws are not new but just have been kinda ignored, except for California always being an aggressive state for enforcement.
And don't forget also that states are under pressure from the Feds to comply or face losing dollars in addition to scrounging for dollars to help out empty state coffers.

I think it is time the NHRA got involved in this on behalf of it's members. They should work with the DOT to get some sort of agreement in place for the sportsmen racers. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to get some type of permit at the same time as your annual competition number? I would be willing to pay for it just for the peace of mind knowing I can tow to a track past the 100 mile radius from my home without needing the help of a lawyer.

I called the 775-684-4711 number listed on the PDF that was posted and confirmed that in fact you do have to purchase the permit. You have to purchase it from independent vendors. Here are the numbers of the vendors. They will fax you the permit.

800-749-6058
800-257-4568
800-331-0418
800-669-5014

I spoke with a very nice lady that seemed to agree that this is crazy. But she said this was passed by the legislature. The only way is seems to get relief is to start a letter writing campaign. If anyone is intrested, I will get a list of the Nevada legislators and post them.

Earl Helm

Nevada legislators are voted in (and out) by Nevada residents. This law affects those of us that don't live there. I think the answer is going to be obvious- they are going to make the state's nut from those that can't affect them politically, and look like heroes to those in the state that won't have their taxes go up because of the additional income generated by non-residents.

And I would bet we are a pretty small percentage of the Nevada tourist industry (micro, at best), and it will take a lot more than a couple hundred race teams trying to save a couple of hundred bucks a year to make them even consider repealing this legislation.

Sucks to have to say this, but build it into your race budget next year and pay for the permit (and save yourself the big bucks fines if you don't).

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back