New National Dragster (1 Viewer)

Paul

Staff member
Nitro Member
I just received my first issue of the year and I am quite impressed with the quality of the magazine. The cover is thicker and each page is glossy vs. last year was like a newspaper. I know how everyone likes to crap on the NHRA, but they really have done a good job improving the quality of the magazine.

National Dragster has bin copying Drag illustrated a little bit at time for the last 6 or so years
now they are just like Drag illustrated. ND was weekly and then twice a month and now MONTHLY
They better reduce the subscription from $69.00 a year to something like $30.00 to $35.00 a year.
Oh I know you become a member, big deal you get a card, sticker and a hat pin and insurance LMAO
read the fine print! Bin getting Drag illustrated since day 1 (2005) it was free for the first couple of years.
It has bin heavy stock and glossy paper for 10 years, it is $35.99 a year. But wait for the last 3 years they
send me a renewal notice just before Christmas for $10.00 a year. What a great deal!!! Plus they cover
everything from portable nitro burning shit house races to the NHRA and everything in between.
And they tell it like it is. National Dragster thinks everything is lollipops and candy caines it isn't in the real
world of drag racing. I know they are the house paper, but if I read one more time that Erica Enders started
in Jr dragster I'm going to puke, yes I know they do that for new fans (what new fans) There is other stuff
that bugs me about ND like running the same pictures year after year when they do storys on old funny cars,
dragsters ect. I know I'm a whining little bitch but hay. I asked my mom and dad for ND for Christmas 1970
got my first issue January 1971 bin getting it ever since and will get it till the day I kick the bucket.

Last edited:
I just received my first issue of the year and I am quite impressed with the quality of the magazine. The cover is thicker and each page is glossy vs. last year was like a newspaper. I know how everyone likes to crap on the NHRA, but they really have done a good job improving the quality of the magazine.

I have been a member/ subscriber since June 1970 and will be until the "end". I also subscribed to Drag Racing USA, Super Stock and some other short-lived drag racing magazines. National Dragster is the only survivor, thanks to Phil Burgess.

Been a subscriber since the 1st issue of 1970, still like it a lot. How do u get Drag Illustrated?

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

Been a subscriber since the 1st issue of 1970, still like it a lot. How do u get Drag Illustrated?

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer
There is a number and email in the link. They run a great deal on Black Friday every year. $10 for one year. They allow renewals during that time as well.

I was super impressed with this current issue. Though the staff is small, Phil has pulled the rabbit again and may have produced the best issue in the history of the publication. The writing has more character and breadth, He is really playing to his strength with the awesome photography used large and printed on good magazine stock. (I loved the staging lanes shot) I enjoyed the focus on sportsman and stories that might, in the past, have been difficult to cover.

Great Job Phil.

Personally, I would rather have the weekly "rag" that it was in the '70's. It WAS drag racing. Almost an underground newspaper at the time. All the glitz and flash distracts you from realizing it will only come once a month now. If the idea is that you can get all the info on line then why even have it? Not looking forward to it when things get back to "normal" and there are back to back to back races that will all get crammed into one issue. It waters down the importance and excitement of a particular race when there are several national events covered in one issue. If there is a national event near your hometown it makes it special that "your" event is the only one in that issue that is covered. Plus, bring back Veney and Fletcher! They both did a great job writing! Very entertaining.

Personally, I would rather have the weekly "rag" that it was in the '70's. It WAS drag racing. Almost an underground newspaper at the time. All the glitz and flash distracts you from realizing it will only come once a month now. If the idea is that you can get all the info on line then why even have it? Not looking forward to it when things get back to "normal" and there are back to back to back races that will all get crammed into one issue. It waters down the importance and excitement of a particular race when there are several national events covered in one issue. If there is a national event near your hometown it makes it special that "your" event is the only one in that issue that is covered. Plus, bring back Veney and Fletcher! They both did a great job writing! Very entertaining.
Speaking as someone who publishes a magazine, this is the direction magazines are taking now. Weekly blow-by-blows are old news by the time they arrive in mailboxes. The 'glitz and flash' of large images and so on helps separate it from internet news, which we consume so fast we often barely remember it. Magazines are a premium format. I still remember the photos I saw in magazine features when I was younger, but I couldn't tell you what drag racing images I saw while scrolling Facebook yesterday.

IF I wanted magazine type of dragster I would buy mags. Not to hurt feelings but I too would take N.D. The way it was done 25 years ago- Don't like photo album format-just my one cent worth -inflation?

white poplar trees, the logging industry, and high end paper finishing mills. glad to see them going to this format.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back