New Cobra Jet Mustangs (1 Viewer)

Vince

Nitro Member
John Calvert just won the AA/S class at the Winternationals driving one of the new FR500CJ Mustangs. Congrats to the team for this victory. In the writeup of the event on another web site, someone is still referring to these vehicles as "race-ready vehicles that can be driven right off a truck and win in competion".

I'm having a problem with that statement, knowing very well all the safety modifications that must be performed on one of these cars before it can go down the track.

Does anyone know if this is really a true statement or not? Can you really buy one of these vehicles and take it right to the track to race in Stock Eliminator without making any changes to it? Does it come from the factory with a roll bar and stuff like that? Hard to believe.

Yup, pretty much ready to go. They're NOT street legal, don't think they even have a VIN number. The guy that owns them bought 10... :eek:

John Force at B-J auctions said you could drive one down the street to the grocery store.

OF COURSE HE WAS QUICKLY CORRECTED BY A FORD OFFICIAL:D

The cars are legal as delivered down to 10.00.
Quicker than that and a visit to your favorite chassis shopn is in order.

I hung out with CJ #17 recently.

These things make the hair on your neck stand up straight. They ooze the kind of cool the old Mopar factory cars do.

Brian

The Super Snake is a street legal car Just like the GT 500KR, but with 20" wheels, a different hood and more power. The 500CJ is a purpose built drag race car and it IS race ready, although John Calvert used a McLeod clutch and his suspension goodies. There was one at Phoenix that was dialed in at 9.84! AA/S, I think.

I watched a couple of them run at Fontucky and they are REAL quiet until the hit, then they are REAL LOUD. They don't sound like anything else in stock or super stock. Calvert and Co. had their hands full taming the power of the thing.

Hats off to Ford for bringing back the factory race car concept. One problem....the price. If they REALLY were serious about taking over stock and super stock racing, they would have produced a $30k car, ready to race. If GM could pull their head out long enough, a $30k race ready Camaro would be an enormous gift to drag racing and themselves.

Mark

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back