NASCAR Modifies The Chase (1 Viewer)

Sully

Nitro Member
Food for thought - NASCAR is modifying their "Chase" by awarding more points for wins and opening it up to a larger number of competitors. Details are still being "modeled."

The biggest problem with their original points system was that it rewarded participation as much as it did winning, so it was possible to win the title without winning any races. Instead of fixing that by rewarding winning more than mere participation, they created an artificial "Chase" that turned most of the season into qualifying races and excluded many of the popular drivers from the championship well before the end of the season. Instead of making the end of the season more exciting, as was intended, they succeeded in turning off sponsors and fans alike, as evidenced by the falloff in NASCAR TV rating after the first year of the "Chase".

Just stirrin' the pot...:cool: :cool: :eek:

this season all you had to do was average a 10th place finish in those last 10 races and you'd be the champ so very unexciting. It's a good thing nhra is smart enough to not go to a system like this.....oh wait a minute:mad:

How Ironic...

I agree with most of the article, but...

He opens by saying: "The cry to unite should be loudest now as NHRA is a month away from instituting its new points system, which is intended to fix something that isn’t broken." Then he spends the better part of the article outlining yet another points system.

Though I, too, proposed a slightly modified version of the "Clown-Down" to borrow a phrase from Jeff, on this message board a while back, I still believe in my heart that he was right the first time - it isn't broken, therefore there isn't a need to change it at all.

Leave it alone Glendora! Please!

NHRA Chase for the Cup?

I doubt you'll see Glendora make any adjustments to their 'Chase'...there'd be waaaay too much egg in their face if they fell to the pressure of the racing community.

One of the major flaws in NHRA's Chase is that it's focused on the needs of TV (ESPN) to generate viewership, and that just isn't happening, and won't happen. Until the races are LIVE, and concluded (start to finish) in three hours (like every other sporting event), the only people watching will be those of us who already are. Tape delayed racing is just that...tape delayed. Viewers aren't dumb...they realize if the network (ESPN) won't prioritize it to LIVE status, it's just secondary programming. Because of that, there's little or no growth potential in the TV audience of future NHRA races. Sorry...

If they are going to have a "chase" system, format it in some way so that as the season goes on the later races are worth more points so that teams lower in the standings still have a shot at winning the title.

Hey! There's still one month to save themselves from themselves.
Do you suppose the Glendoran Empire even cares? It's all about Pomona ticket sales in case you haven't noticed the reason for the change?

Wolf is dead on!
Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - DO WE HAVE A VOICE? by Jeff Wolf

Winner of a National Event should get an ADDITIONAL 20 pts. That should be included in the new system. Again, Wolf is dead-on!

Hey! There's still one month to save themselves from themselves.
Do you suppose the Glendoran Empire even cares? It's all about Pomona ticket sales in case you haven't noticed the reason for the change?

Wolf is dead on!

Well . . . my friend who was slammed (not by you, Doc) for being too critical of the Glendora Suits now appears to be leading the charge! Sadly, NHRA management clearly doesn't give a S$$$ about those of us who continue to pay dues.

I doubt you'll see Glendora make any adjustments to their 'Chase'...there'd be waaaay too much egg in their face if they fell to the pressure of the racing community.
Unfortunately, that's exactly what I've thought all along - even when I signed the petition. I would glady take egg on my face if they proved us all wrong though!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back