Mr. Norm's (1 Viewer)

Gone Dead Train

Nitro Member
Did anyone else notice the really cool Mr. Norm's decal on Hagan's nitro flopper this weekend.
Just brings back great memories from days gone bye. But then again I'm stuck in the 60s, 70s
be it drag racing, rock & roll music ect.

DSC_8072_10.JPG

1461951_554774697936485_202.jpg

S/FX 1965 Gary Dyer in the seat
Challenger-Niight.jpg

AA/FC 1971 Gary Dyer in the seat
29495ed7875d2ef.jpg

AA/FC Once again it's 1971 with Gary in the seat
1975-06-IHRA-muncie-(1).jpg

AA/FC 1975 Gary Dyer in the seat

Did anyone else notice the really cool Mr. Norm's decal on Hagan's nitro flopper this weekend.
Just brings back great memories from days gone bye. But then again I'm stuck in the 60s, 70s
be it drag racing, rock & roll music ect.

DSC_8072_10.JPG

1461951_554774697936485_202.jpg

S/FX 1965 Gary Dyer in the seat
Challenger-Niight.jpg

AA/FC 1971 Gary Dyer in the seat
29495ed7875d2ef.jpg

AA/FC Once again it's 1971 with Gary in the seat
1975-06-IHRA-muncie-(1).jpg

AA/FC 1975 Gary Dyer in the seat
Thank you for the great pics! Being from Chi Town I can safely tell you Mr Norms was in the league of the Chi Town Hustler and the Don’s Stardust cars!
Chicago Drag Racing forever!

Yeah, I noticed it but I don't understand the connection. I do recall the early days of Mr. Norm's funny cars; watched them race many, many times.

Yeah, I noticed it but I don't understand the connection. I do recall the early days of Mr. Norm's funny cars; watched them race many, many times.
My guess would be both being from Chicago. Don Schumacher and "Mr. Norm" Kraus were friends.
"Mr. Norm" passed away Feb 26, 2021 at the age of 87. Don wanted to do a tribute to his friend, makes
sense, since Don has Dodge bodys on his AA/FC. Just guessing here. I do want one of those decals. Cool
MRNORM-1.jpg

2509119963252b62d8fad74eed464968.jpg

grand1967spaulding.jpg

359001.jpg

I know Don chimes in on Nitromater once in a while. He could give us the (why) of the decal.
If he does chime in. For years I wanted to ask Don about his AA/FC that got borrowed out of
a hotel parking lot one evening. Finally talked to Don in the staging lanes at Norwalk 2018 after
Matt won funny car that day. And he set the story straight. After almost 50 years hearing different
versions. Thanks again Don!
1605542480227-png.6391

Don had a real nice AA/FC until it was barrowed one night, and showed up at the drags 2 weeks
later looking like this.
1605541213559-png.6390

Fredrick DeNome aka "Broadway Freddy DeName"
The late Freddy was a fun loving guy. A drag racer for fun.
A car theif and murderer by trade. Freddy was found in a Texas garage
a long way from New York City with a rope around his neck. I guess that's
what you get for ratting on the mob. He worked for the notorious Gambino
crime family
2e165b4aeb2a1481dbd159e353ee745b.jpg

Looking for a good book to read this winter.
Check this one out.
dename06.jpg

AA/FC "Broadway Freddy" doing a burnout on the street
New York's Coney Island beach and boardwalk.
A number of people have told me over the years, that Freddy
was a real piece of work and not in a nice way.

Last edited:
I was wondering who would be the 1st to point out that decal, nice post Jim, I am with you brother of where we are "stuck."

I would reckon there are just a very few who were at Lions when Dyer popped off that run in 65. Seeing Mr. Norm wearing that white shirt and tie brooming in the gold dust at Lions. This is the stuff that made Lions so awesome. If you don't understand why the "don" put that on Hagen's car, brush up on your dang history of the flopper class. Even Mrs. TopFuel@Lions mentioned the decal, saying, "isn't that the guy that you always talk about from Lions?" yep, sure is.

TopFuel@Lions
Where each Saturday night was the Olympics of Drag Racing......period!

Hay Tony, just wondering if you found out anything about the decal?
I might of answered my own question with my post above #5

Thanks
Jim
I have not. My source didn't get a chance to ask about it.

As far as DeName. Don has talked about it, just Google it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. As for DeName I talked to Don in person at Norwalk 2018
and got the story, and a couple of other tidbits on what happen. It was nice to
finally get the story from Don himself after close to 50 years hearing other versions.
I posted above about talking to Don at Norwalk in 2018
Can't believe what you read on the internet half the time.

Not sure if I saw "Broadway Freddy" at Seattle 64 funny cars in the 70s. Went to everyone.
It would have to bin between 1971 and 1974. I think after 1974 Freddy was done racing funnies

Hay Allan Kean did you see "Broadway Freddy" at Seattle if you did. I'm pretty sure I did.
Unless I missed it, what is the real story?

Unless I missed it, what is the real story?
Nothing really. It was just what I read back in late 1970 or early 1971 in Drag Racing USA magazine
and over the years I had people tell me something different. And I new oneday I wanted to ask Don
about the deal. Saw Don a number of time's over the years, but never got the chance to ask him until
Norwalk 2018. Don even said the story got blown up over the years. It just caught my attention as a
11 year old kid back in 1970.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back