Motorhome spaces at races (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
We have paid $500 to get a NASCAR motorhome space in the infield at PIR for many years. We were able to bring in customers and employees, but you really couldn't see much of the race.
We got the opportunity to secure a motorhome space on the fence outside of turn three for $3000 per race and had to commit to this race and both races next year to secure the space. Yes, thats $9000 - but stay with me!
One of our guys took the motorhome out today and called to say that we have power and Cox Cable connections. We'll have a big screen TV, a bunch of BBQ and a lot of very happy customers and employees.
NHRA might want to take a look at providing a better experience for corporate customers in the motorhome area.

When you consider the tax consequences of corporate entertainment it's not a bad deal at all. Provided it fits into your advertizement/entertainment budget and your accountant gives you the thumbs-up it's way more fun than renting a swank hotel's banquet hall and serving one boring dinner to everyone.

Hey..that sounds awesome but my better half (CPA) says that to deduct that in your ad/marketing budget would not fall under 'ordinary and necessary' expenses so it would throw up a red flag.
I am not a NASCAR fan but they know how to throw an awesome party.

My accountant said that if I put logos on a vehicle, any vehicle, and used it for sales purposes, and took pictures to see it in public places, the entire thing could be written off as an advertising expense... I hope I'm not in trouble now... :D

Ted....hope your accountant is a CPA. They powers that be are trying to make it that unless you are a CPA, you cannot put accountant anywhere on your business signage.
A person who does tax returns or book records is not a CPA...so be careful.

"Motorhome Hill" along the back straightaway here at LVMS has all of those amenities with a view of the whole track (except pit road). Last I heard, which was about Y2K, those spaces were $1500 for the weekend, and I am sure they have went up since then just based on how much LVMS is gouging the dry campers at the drag races these days ...

Hey..that sounds awesome but my better half (CPA) says that to deduct that in your ad/marketing budget would not fall under 'ordinary and necessary' expenses so it would throw up a red flag.
I am not a NASCAR fan but they know how to throw an awesome party.

Terry - be assured that we have a CPA do our taxes! We have been deducting race track signage and car sponsorship for 18 years as advertising and have never been questioned.
However, Skip (OK, his real name is Jerrell) advised us that this is classified as Entertainment and is therefore only 50% deductible. I did forget to mention that NASCAR extracts $95 per person for an armband. This also allows our guests access to the infield, including pit access until the race goes "Red". Pit and garage access during a NASCAR race has become almost impossible, but they are getting a close look.
So . . . we get to spend a weekend at the race with some incedibly excited customers and employees and half of the cost is tax deductible. I think we can live with that! :D

Got home from NASCAR just in time to see NHRA finals! All of our guests who have been to drag races with us agreed that today's experience was ALMOST as good as being on the starting line at an NHRA event!
For those of you who are also NASCAR fans, we found out today that DW's Vortex Effect is real! We served lunch just before the start of the race and everyone was standing at the fence with their plates. When the double line of cars came past us, plates and food were sucked out of our hands! A great time - everyone thanked us and begged to be invited back.
It would be great if we could also provide all of our guests with an opportunity to be this close at an NHRA race.
Could NHRA Marketing department WAKE UP and realize that local companies might be willing to pay a high price at each race to have their guests in an exclusive area at the starting line? Probably not.
Space rental, restricted area armbands, parking passes and food and drinks cost us about $6000 this weekend. I have absolutely no doubt that we will get that back tenfold in orders.
There are only 26 of these spaces at PIR, 10 of which are much more expensive than ours. So . . . NASCAR grosses an estimated $200,000 for providing 26 customers with a parking place, power and cable TV. Is this too hard for NHRA to understand?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back