Most awsome thing I saw in Florida... (2 Viewers)

Greggo

Nitro Member
It was great seeing:
Bob Tasca win his first
Frank Manzo showing his greatness
2 nitrous cars in the pro mod final

But... the most awsome thing I saw all weekend - the space shuttle discovery taking off in the distance as Joe and I drove to Orlando last night. It was very surreal and it took a few seconds to realize what I/we were witnessing but it was very cool!

And - Joe will have some pics.

I lived in Tampa for 4 years, and never got a chance to go over and watch it, but you can still see it from the Tampa area really well which is pretty crazy. You used to be able to get tickets to it pretty easily which allow you to get as close as spectators are allowed, which is much closer than the general viewing area. I don't know if they still offer that or not.

I lived in Tampa for 4 years, and never got a chance to go over and watch it, but you can still see it from the Tampa area really well which is pretty crazy. You used to be able to get tickets to it pretty easily which allow you to get as close as spectators are allowed, which is much closer than the general viewing area. I don't know if they still offer that or not.

they stopped that after 9/11 I think

It's an experience you never forget. I saw the 3rd ever launch from the NASA causway back when you didn't need tickets. I saw the 4th launch from Canaveral Airforce Station from about 4 miles away (my step mother worked there on the Titans). Hard to believe that was almost 25 years ago! I'm hoping to see the launch in May.

Awesome scene isn't it. I was in Orlando working several years ago at a conference. It was night and we were walking back from eating and there are people everywhere standing outside looking at the sky. We finally ask someone what is everyone looking at and they say the shuttle will lunch soon.

Now Orlando to nasa is 45-60 minute drive at least, I'm thinking these people are nuts, there is no way we'd see it from there. next thing you know this giant ball of fire goes racing across the sky. Very impressive. I would love to get much closer and watch a launch some day

i was fortunate enough to see two launches last year from the balcony of my apartment in Lake Buena Vista (one during the day and one at night)....definately an awesome sight that you dont forget

I went on a cruise once that left out of Port Canaveral, and as we were pulling out of port at dusk a Titan V rocket launched out of the Cape ... it was a fantastic sight to see from the top deck of a cruise ship.

..... what's even more awesome is when you consider that Larry Dixon's car launched harder and accelerated faster than the space shuttle yesterday.... 4times mind you!!!

I've never seen it in person. I was watching all day on nasa tv though; I'm an aerospace geek, so it's fascinating to watch them get that thing ready to roll.

My sister in law and her kids are down there right now and they got to see it and they were just awed by it they said.

Seeing a Shuttle launch is on my bucket list. My wife and I are going to be at Disney World next January and I am hoping they will have a launch scheduled while we are there.

..... what's even more awesome is when you consider that Larry Dixon's car launched harder and accelerated faster than the space shuttle yesterday.... 4times mind you!!!

I've never seen it in person. I was watching all day on nasa tv though; I'm an aerospace geek, so it's fascinating to watch them get that thing ready to roll.

One difference with the shuttle launch is that you see it going up then about 25-30 seconds later you FEEL it through the ground then several seconds later you finally hear it. By that time Larry is doing his top end interview! :D

My family and I are going to be there in August during the timeframe for the launch while we are at Universal. A good family friend is the head of the Tx Space Assoc. (I think thats what its called) and he told us to go to the Banana Creek viewing area near the Apollo museum for the best experience.

Seeing a Shuttle launch is on my bucket list. My wife and I are going to be at Disney World next January and I am hoping they will have a launch scheduled while we are there.

Don't know if you guys on the Left Coast are aware of this but the Space Shuttle program is only about 3 or 4 launches away from being over forever, or at least until a set of replacement space crafts are built. There will be a pretty serious gap between when these ancient 1970's designed shuttles are grounded permanently and when something new is lifting off. The Space Coast workers on the shuttle program are gonna be looking for work after 2010. So, if watching the current shuttle lift-off is on your bucket list, better make it sooner than later. :(

But... the most awsome thing I saw all weekend - the space shuttle discovery taking off in the distance as Joe and I drove to Orlando last night. It was very surreal and it took a few seconds to realize what I/we were witnessing but it was very cool!

And - Joe will have some pics.

Greg and Joe, I too was amazed at the sight of the shuttle lifting off and I was about 5 miles from home when it came into view. You guys were probably on the turnpike facing that way (as was I) or would have missed it. I pulled out my camera phone and snapped a pic or two, but I bet Joe got some real good ones if he wasn't driving. :D

Great hanging with you guys at the track for 2 days!

Seeing it come back down is just as exciting for me; how they can pinpoint the landing on something that big, free-falling, under no power, from outerspace... and yet they project & get it down to knowing the exact second it touches down... in Calif or Florida.... while it's still up there orbiting... is amazing.

Don't know if you guys on the Left Coast are aware of this but the Space Shuttle program is only about 3 or 4 launches away from being over forever, or at least until a set of replacement space crafts are built.....So, if watching the current shuttle lift-off is on your bucket list, better make it sooner than later. :(

Just as I was reading this NBC news was talking about the Shuttle and said there are actually 9 launches left, but still not many left.

Go to Kennedy Space Center for info and ticket info.

I saw the Endeavor launch right before last years Gators. We watched it right across the Indian River in Titusville which is free. To get an idea of the view check out my pics Space Shuttle Endeavor 3-11-08

If any one is still in Fla, tomorrow night (3-17), there will be a launch of an Atlas 5 rocket at 10pm. Not the Shuttle but still worth it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back