More Percolation Problems At Norwalk? (1 Viewer)

Triple Nickel II

Nitro Member
The following was posted on another message board.

=======================================

Norwalk Track: Water Still a Problem?

Posted June 16, 2009 10:00 PM

We raced at the Super Chevy event at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio this past weekend and on Sunday, water was making its way up to the track surface again.

It had rained quite a bit in Norwalk last week and they even had a little rain on Saturday afternoon.

Bader and his crew tried for over an hour to prevent the water from getting onto the track, but to no avail. Bader then said that due to safety of the racers, the bracket races would be run in 1/8 mile because the water was well down track.

With the NHRA national event coming to Norwalk next week, I sure hope that the Bader's figure how to stop the water from coming onto the track surface because they can't afford to have another disaster like they did last year at the NHRA event and running the national event in the 1/8 mile will not be an option.

The following was posted on another message board.

=======================================

Norwalk Track: Water Still a Problem?

Posted June 16, 2009 10:00 PM

We raced at the Super Chevy event at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio this past weekend and on Sunday, water was making its way up to the track surface again.

It had rained quite a bit in Norwalk last week and they even had a little rain on Saturday afternoon.

Bader and his crew tried for over an hour to prevent the water from getting onto the track, but to no avail. Bader then said that due to safety of the racers, the bracket races would be run in 1/8 mile because the water was well down track.

With the NHRA national event coming to Norwalk next week, I sure hope that the Bader's figure how to stop the water from coming onto the track surface because they can't afford to have another disaster like they did last year at the NHRA event and running the national event in the 1/8 mile will not be an option.

I will be royally pissed, just like I was last year! This should have been fixed long ago!

This was the last thread I wanted to see just 2 weeks before the event! I also sat through the debacle last year.

Like so many others I have my tickets, my campsite and my vacation all set up. I couldn't make it to Chicago this year so this Norwalk is "it" for me for this summer.

This was the last thread I wanted to see just 2 weeks before the event! I also sat through the debacle last year.

Like so many others I have my tickets, my campsite and my vacation all set up. I couldn't make it to Chicago this year so this Norwalk is "it" for me for this summer.

They did make it somewhat right by giving us credit toward ticks for this year(I'll bet an NHRA owned track wouldn't have!)

I'm with you Dave, with the economy in the dumpster this year this is the only event I can afford to go to. It costs way more than the price of a ticket to go!

Who designed the racing surface? All public roads have aggregate underneath the bituminous. Water cannot rise through aggregate. They must have used a fine sand or something?

Ohio is live seattle. i think we get as much rain. In fact it is raining right now
that race needs moved to sometime in august like right before indy.
it is always dry then and hotter than hell

The Rob and Randy Adler A-Team Speed Shop GTO pro mod out of Tinley Park, IL waited for the track to dry. They were given the all clear.
Not sure yet, haven't heard, whether the car is a total or not.
So much for seepage.

Lee

Water cannot rise through aggregate.
That's not completely correct , we won a lawsuit in the '80s about a gym floor that failed due to moisture. There was two feet of aggregate under the concrete slab.
The moisture can rise by "capillary action" if the aggregate can not drain completely, or if the ground water pressure isn't relieved by a site drainage systems.

That's not completely correct , we won a lawsuit in the '80s about a gym floor that failed due to moisture. There was two feet of aggregate under the concrete slab.
The moisture can rise by "capillary action" if the aggregate can not drain completely, or if the ground water pressure isn't relieved by a site drainage systems.

Capillary rise only occurrs through fines, like sands. But your point on ground water pressure makes sence, if theres aggregate in a bathtub or a poorly drained subgrade, the agg would be soaked.

Hmmm...

I wonder why they decided to wait 51-1/2 weeks to try to deal with the situation?

The following was posted on Norwalk's website around 1:30 PM today.

=========================
Friday Night Chaos & Saturday Point's Race Weekend Update

Summit Motorsports Park will be closed this weekend (June 19-20) in order to effect track repairs. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
=========================

Friday Night Chaos & Saturday Point's Race Weekend Update —

From the Nowalk website. I applaud their efforts.But in 5 days? Can it be done?

TRACK SURFACE TO BE REBUILT
In true Norwalk tradition a decision was made this afternoon to rebuild our racing surface. As always our concern for excellence and safety led us to this conclusion. The track will be repaved from the 1/8th mile to the 1/4 mile. At the same time drainage will be installed down the center of the track as well as on the sides to ensure the track will drain effectively. We made this choice after several days of intensely researching many alternatives. In the end, the right thing to do is to replace the asphalt; this will both fix the problem and ensure a safe and competitive racing surface.

From the Nowalk website. I applaud their efforts.But in 5 days? Can it be done?

TRACK SURFACE TO BE REBUILT
In true Norwalk tradition a decision was made this afternoon to rebuild our racing surface. As always our concern for excellence and safety led us to this conclusion. The track will be repaved from the 1/8th mile to the 1/4 mile. At the same time drainage will be installed down the center of the track as well as on the sides to ensure the track will drain effectively. We made this choice after several days of intensely researching many alternatives. In the end, the right thing to do is to replace the asphalt; this will both fix the problem and ensure a safe and competitive racing surface.

Is less then a week enough time for the asphalt to set in place and not peel up? This gives a whole new meaning to a "green" track.

Is less then a week enough time for the asphalt to set in place and not peel up? This gives a whole new meaning to a "green" track.

You can bet there will be a lot of crossed fingers this week from the Baders, the construction crew, the competitors, and the fans.

Don't forget what happened the last time the track tried to fix a paving issue (at that time, between the end of the pad and the start of the asphalt).

The Baders had some work done over the off season (07-08), but it didn't fix the problem. In April 08 the Baders dug out 6' down to fix problem, but when the Oberhoffers came down to check track in May 08 they reported (from driving their Tundra down track) feeling bump at the repair transition. Bader fixed it again.

Here's a thread from last spring about the situation.
http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/14691-norwalk-track.html

As wet as it is around here right now, who knows how quickly they can start. Any delays will really put the pressure on to get it right the first time.

I wonder if running this new drainage piping down the center of the track will effect the sandtrap/net/end of track containment system?

Last edited:
I live 40 minutes from the track and as I type this there is no real chance of rain till Thurs. at earliest. So, at least weather won't be a problem.

I live 40 minutes from the track and as I type this there is no real chance of rain till Thurs. at earliest. So, at least weather won't be a problem.

The waiting game will be from the rain that has already fallen.

I don't know what the totals are since midnight today (it was a significant amount), but nearly 2" of rain fell in the previous 3 days according to Weather.com

Friday: 0.71
Thursday: 0.04
Wednesday: 1.09

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back