Mopar Super Stock Hemi Challenge (1 Viewer)

merc49

Nitro Member
Does anyone know the date/time for the first round of the SS/AH Challenge runs at Indy? I wish the NHRA in all it's wisdom would treat this event, and the fans who are interested in it, with the respect they deserve.

Bob, according to ND, it's Friday. What time, I haven't seen yet.

I asked the same question and Julie Jordan sent me this message

"The Mopar Hemi Shootout will be contested Friday, August 31 during SS eliminations. First round is usually around 8:30-9AM. "

Can wait to hear those big Elephants roar!

I asked the same question and Julie Jordan sent me this message

"The Mopar Hemi Shootout will be contested Friday, August 31 during SS eliminations. First round is usually around 8:30-9AM. "

Can wait to hear those big Elephants roar!

Well shoot, tell them to wait til noon. I should be down there by then. I looked through the SS entries, didn't see Jeggie listed as anyone's driver. I believe Pancake and Hess would be the drivers to beat. We'll check as soon as we arrive to see when next round is. Thanks for all the help everyone.

How about Charlie Westcott Jr? He and his engine customers are running pretty good.
The best part of Indy I liked when I went to the 50th was watching the Hemi Shootout. Seeing all those Hemis coming down the return road for 1st round of the class eliminations is one of the coolest thing I ever saw. Just the sound of those hemis was amazing to hear. I could have left after the Shootout and Superstock / Stock class eliminations and would have not complain. (well watching Manzo win 50 on 50th birthday was cool also)
I don't know if Jeggie will be driving because the West Coast Hemis will not be there. Maybe Julie can correct me if I am wrong. I know it sure was strange not seeing them at the Cajun Sportnationals. They are class act.
Hopefully I can make it back to Indy next year. :)

Last edited:
Jim Pancake. He's one of the front running ones now but if I had to bet, I'd take the Warfish. Maybe if PJ reads this, we can have a SSAA Vbookie, Who Will Win the Hemi Shootout.

get me a list of the entrants and I can do that

Who the Hell is Pancake? And Yes Westcott will be tough to beat!;)

Jim Pancake is the current record holder in SS/AH. But Westcott, Fred Hanson, Bucky, and others have run faster.
And yes Westcott has won Indy the last 2 years.

Last edited:
get me a list of the entrants and I can do that

Well PJ, I dont know of an official list of entries but I believe the race is open to all SS/AH cars so I went thru the Super Stock entries for Indy and pulled all of the names of SS/AH. Here they are:

David Barton
Joe Teuton
Wendell Howes
John Gifford
Gary Jacob
James Keyes
Jim Pancake
Charlie Wescott
Charlie Wescott Jr
Geoffrey Turk
Darrell Marvel
Larry Woo
Fred Henson
Randy Hopkins
Joe Faherty
John Raines
Rick Houser
Mark Howes
Melvin Daniels
Bucky Hess
Gary Wolkwitz
Bob Wolkwitz
Al Smyth
Chuck Comela
Bill Brooks
Matt Hensley
Randall Warford

If I missed someone or misspelled the name then I apologize. With that many PJ and since I dont know but about 1/3rd of them the best way to do it would probably offer odds on the top 5 or so and then have a rest of field. I dont know if you follow the class or not but if you need help putting odds on it I'll help.

Well PJ, I dont know of an official list of entries but I believe the race is open to all SS/AH cars so I went thru the Super Stock entries for Indy and pulled all of the names of SS/AH. Here they are:

David Barton
Joe Teuton
Wendell Howes
John Gifford
Gary Jacob
James Keyes
Jim Pancake
Charlie Wescott
Charlie Wescott Jr
Geoffrey Turk
Darrell Marvel
Larry Woo
Fred Henson
Randy Hopkins
Joe Faherty
John Raines
Rick Houser
Mark Howes
Melvin Daniels
Bucky Hess
Gary Wolkwitz
Bob Wolkwitz
Al Smyth
Chuck Comela
Bill Brooks
Matt Hensley
Randall Warford

If I missed someone or misspelled the name then I apologize. With that many PJ and since I dont know but about 1/3rd of them the best way to do it would probably offer odds on the top 5 or so and then have a rest of field. I dont know if you follow the class or not but if you need help putting odds on it I'll help.

I do but not very closely I would set odds for Pancake, Westcott, Fred Hanson and Bucky. Anyone else would be betting the field unless there is some other player I missed?

I do but not very closely I would set odds for Pancake, Westcott, Fred Hanson and Bucky. Anyone else would be betting the field unless there is some other player I missed?

Just remember there's Charlie Sr and Charlie Jr. Either both of them or Jr. As for any others, maybe Barton or Teuton since there popular and run decent. I dont know the others.

On a side note, why arent the West Coast Hemi's coming? Those are some beautiful cars.

Jim Pancake is the current record holder in SS/AH. But Westcott, Fred Hanson, Bucky, and others have run faster.
And yes Westcott has won Indy the last 2 years.

Sorry, I had no idea Pancake was his real name! Sounded like a nickname to me. I think I'm gonna ditch the Schumacher deal this year and stick around for the shootout

On a side note, why arent the West Coast Hemi's coming? Those are some beautiful cars.

Thank you for the compliment. We aren't coming out this year for a few reasons, mostly health-related. My Dad (Harry Holton) has been sick since last fall and is just now getting back to the shop to work on a regular basis. In addition, Bob Jenkins (Jerry's dad) was involved in a bad auto accident the day after Christmas and is still recuperating. His other son, and Jerry's business partner, is recuperating from kidney cancer so Jerry is running the family business. Our personal lives have taken over our racing lives this year.

For what it's worth, my money is on Bucky this year.

Thank you for the compliment. We aren't coming out this year for a few reasons, mostly health-related. My Dad (Harry Holton) has been sick since last fall and is just now getting back to the shop to work on a regular basis. In addition, Bob Jenkins (Jerry's dad) was involved in a bad auto accident the day after Christmas and is still recuperating. His other son, and Jerry's business partner, is recuperating from kidney cancer so Jerry is running the family business. Our personal lives have taken over our racing lives this year.

Sorry to hear about all that Julie, I hope everyone gets better. I really enjoy watching you guys run. I love listening to those Hemi's scream.

Sorry to here about your family. Hope everyone is get well soon. Had heard about you dad being sick, just didn't want to post anything about it because I didn't hear about it first hand. It would be nice if y'all could attend the 2008 Cajun Sportsnational since West Coast Hemis were the stars of the show in 2006.
I would be nice if Bucky could win it this year since he got screwed (no pun intended) at the 2006 Cajun Sportsnationals.

Driver...Charlie Wescott Jr.

Class...SS/AH

Index...9.80

E.T. ...8.765

Over/Under...-1.035

Qualified 16th in SS Eliminator, after 2 rounds of qualifying. Got em covered so far! Hope I get there early enough tomorrow to see some rounds!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back