Mopar-Powered Nobile Makes History at Houston, Becomes Youngest Winner in P/S (1 Viewer)

Mopar® HEMI®-powered Dodge Avenger NHRA Pro Stock driver Vincent Nobile will forever have a special place in his heart for Royal Purple Raceway near Houston, Texas. The 19-year-old rookie captured his first career win at the venue on Sunday, May 1, defeating Rodger Brogdon in the final round of the O’Reilly NHRA Spring Nationals to become the youngest winner in the 41-year history of the Pro Stock class.

Nobile, competing with Mopar HEMI engines supplied by Allen Johnson’s J&J Racing team, used a "James Bond" reaction time of .007 to earn his first Pro Stock victory. The New York native and Mountain View Dodge driver scored a holeshot win with a 6.625-second pass at 209.72 mph to beat Brogdon’s 6.624/208.78 run in a photo finish. Nobile’s margin of victory was approximately six inches.

"It was close, I didn’t even know who won at the stripe," said Nobile, who also defeated Kurt Johnson, Jason Line and Greg Stanfield in his third career final round appearance. "Then everyone was screaming in my ear that we won. It was incredible. It’s crazy how competitive Pro Stock is. Every driver is great out here. There are no easy rounds. I race with a bunch of great people. We are definitely living on a high right now."

Mopar Dodge Avenger driver Allen Johnson bowed out in the opening round, falling to Erica Enders despite leaving the starting line first, with a .015 reaction time to Enders’ .031 mark. Johnson posted a 6.650/209.49 run to Enders’ quicker 6.629/208.97 effort. Dodge Avenger driver V. Gaines also exited in the opening stanza, losing to Mike Edwards.

Nobile is now fourth in the point standings, with Johnson ninth. Next up for the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series is the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Southern Nationals, May 13–15 at Atlanta Dragway. For more information on the NHRA, visit NHRA.com.

Attachments

• nobile_wins_houston.jpg
    nobile_wins_houston.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 14
  • nobile_group_winners.jpg
    nobile_group_winners.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 21
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back