Johnson Advances to Quarters; Nobile Uses Mopar Power to Score Second Career Win (1 Viewer)

Team Mopar® NHRA Pro Stock driver Allen Johnson advanced as far as the quarterfinals on Sunday, June 26 at the 5th Annual Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio, while his Mopar-powered teammate Vincent Nobile continued to wow the Pro Stock class, capturing his second career win in the fourth final-round appearance thus far of his rookie season.

Johnson, the Mopar Dodge Avenger pilot and No. 8 qualifier, opened eliminations against Greg Anderson, winner of the K&N Horsepower Challenge on Saturday. The Greeneville, Tenn. native gutted out a holeshot win with a 6.629-second pass at 208.59 mph coupled with a .026 reaction time, preventing Anderson (who posted a 6.604/208.52 run with a slower .070 mark off the starting line) from capturing the $25,000 bonus for doubling up at Norwalk. Johnson lacked lane choice in the quarterfinals against Greg Stanfield and was unable to overcome the disadvantage, posting a losing 6.635/208.88 effort to Stanfield’s winning 6.622/208.42 pass.

"We have to be happy with doing what we did with our Mopar Dodge in the first round, and beating the fastest car on the property," said Johnson of defeating Anderson. "We just never quite got a handle on things. We didn’t kill our momentum. We still have a little left, and we’ll try to pick up where we left off with our win at Englishtown and semis run at Bristol, and get on track at Joliet (site of the next NHRA event)."

No. 4 qualifier Nobile, running with Mopar HEMI engines supplied by Allen Johnson’s J&J Racing team in his Dodge Avenger, knocked off Pro Stock legend Warren Johnson with a 6.600/208.33 pass in their opening round fight, then sent home Ronnie Humphrey with a 6.616/208.14 run. Nobile defeated Stanfield with a 6.616/208.26 effort to earn lane choice against Larry Morgan in the final round, where he completed his domination at Summit Motorsports Park with a 6.615/208.26 mark to earn the win.

"My team supplied me with a car that was top-notch this weekend," said the 19-year-old Nobile, who became the youngest winner in the history of the Pro Stock class with his victory at the O’Reilly NHRA Spring Nationals in May. "I couldn’t have asked for anything more from my team. It’s like a non-stop dream. Roy and Allen Johnson supply me with the best engines out there, Mopar HEMI engines. They work their butts off to give us the best engines each race."

"It’s a testament to how good the Mopar HEMI engine is and to the work we are doing with it," said Roy Johnson of Nobile’s victory.

Mopar-driven Pro Stocker and No. 10 starter V. Gaines exited on a red-light foul after leaving the starting line too soon in his first-round match with Larry Morgan. Nobile moved to third in the point standings following his win, with Johnson seventh in points.

Next up is the 14th Annual O’Reilly Auto Parts Route 66 NHRA Nationals, July 7–10 at Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, Ill.For more information on the NHRA, log on to NHRA.com.

Attachments

• nobile_norwalk_win_trophy.jpg
    nobile_norwalk_win_trophy.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 6
  • nobile_norwalk_win.jpg
    nobile_norwalk_win.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 3
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back