Mopar-powered Capps Wins in Funny Car at Sonoma (1 Viewer)

Ron Capps was victorious for the second consecutive year in his Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car for Don Schumacher Racing (DSR) at Infineon Raceway in the 24th Annual Fram Autolite NHRA Nationals in his home state of California, where he has three career triumphs.

Capps, the No. 3 qualifier, downed Bob Tasca III in the opening round, teammate Johnny Gray in the quarterfinals and Cruz Pedregon in the semifinals to advance to the final round. In the final, Capps used a pass of 4.145/303.57 with a reaction time of 0.098 to defeat Tim Wilkerson, who ran a 4.175/300.93 with a reaction time of 0.093. The victory was Capps’ first win of the season.

"It was great winning here at Infineon, which I consider my home track," Capps said. "It’s harder to win at your home track, in front of so many family and friends. You have to constantly remind them that while they’re there to have fun, you have a job to do. Everything is clicking right now. I am so excited about getting to Seattle for our next race."

Gray, piloting his Mopar-powered Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car for DSR, was victorious in the opening round over teammate Jack Beckman with a pass of 4.148/304.74, before falling to Capps in the quarterfinals. Fellow DSR driver Matt Hagan bowed out in the first round.

Beckman is currently third in the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series Funny Car standings, with fellow Mopar-powered DSR drivers Hagan fifth, Capps sixth and Gray 11th. Next up for the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series is the 24th Annual O’Reilly Auto Parts NHRA Northwest Nationals at Pacific Raceways in Kent, Wash., Aug. 5–7. For more information on the NHRA visit NHRA.com.

Attachments

• capps_win_sonoma11.jpg
    capps_win_sonoma11.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 24
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back