Model rocketry (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
Off topic for a drag racing forum, but...

Any one here with experience in mid to high powered model rockets (F motors and above)? I am looking for advice on what weight to motor power ratio will get me a decent altitude flight, but not so high that the rocket just sails off once the 'chute deploys. I don't want to lose a $70 rocket with $40 worth of re-loadable motor hardware on my first flight.

Thanks in advance...

No help here, but I will say that even the less expensive rockets are a lot of fun. I bought my son one for x-mas a few years ago and even though it was a lesser rocket with a small motor (B or C ??) it was advertised to hit 1300 feet. I don't know if it did it, but it sure as heck seemed like it did! That was the fastest, most reliable fun you can have for about $3 a flight. Of course, I wanted to lay the thing down, put wheels on it and make it a mini-Bonneville car, but my wife veto'd that idea...

No help here, but I will say that even the less expensive rockets are a lot of fun. I bought my son one for x-mas a few years ago and even though it was a lesser rocket with a small motor (B or C ??) it was advertised to hit 1300 feet. I don't know if it did it, but it sure as heck seemed like it did! That was the fastest, most reliable fun you can have for about $3 a flight. Of course, I wanted to lay the thing down, put wheels on it and make it a mini-Bonneville car, but my wife veto'd that idea...

Oh yeah, for sure the smaller rockets are fun. Friends of mine used to shoot rockets at each other. :eek: I introduced my nephews to rocketry, and one of them just got done building a custom rocket for a physics class -- they are going to have a competition.

But, I've seen the larger rockets shoot off now (6 foot tall, 8 or more inches in diameter) and now I want to play with the bigger toys... Working my way up through the mid-range powered rockets is the way to go...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back