Minnesota Vikings did what??? (1 Viewer)

I think the title of the Fox Sports article is misleading.

"Vikings fine WR for attending funeral".

It should read.... "Vikings dock pay of WR for attending funeral"

Maybe it's because I've spent most of my life as a blue collar worker but it seems normal to get docked pay of you don't show up for work.

I don't want to sound insensitive but I didn't get paid for the last funeral that I attended.

If you don't work, you don't get paid. Simple.

Maybe it's because I've spent most of my life as a blue collar worker but it seems normal to get docked pay of you don't show up for work.

I don't want to sound insensitive but I didn't get paid for the last funeral that I attended.

My thoughts exactly!!! Lets baby the overpaid athletes

I didn't even think to look at the way the article was written....good point!

It was his Grandmother for cripes sake!

Even with our horrible benefits here, we get 3 days bereavement for immediate family members PAID! They usually give leniency for Grandparents even though they are not considered 'immediate family'. They even gave me leniency for my cousin this past February.

Whereas I agree that our professional athletes are incredibly overpaid and often times spolied... I also feel this country has lost touch with it's priorities. Sure, simply put the "don't show up for work, and you don't get paid" mantra makes sense from a business stand point, but what happened to compassion in this country? Is a silly football game really more important thna family? Not likely.

I give the guy credit for putting his family first, regardless of the monetary consequences. And I respect the Vikings decision not to pay him... though I'd respect them more if they showed a little compassion and didn't dock his pay after all.

Just my $.02.

the media has made a way bigger deal out of this than Williamson has (how unusual right? :rolleyes:)....he is on record as saying, "you can dock me whatever you want, take my whole year's salary....i'm goin home"

Just like any business, when someone isn't at work, good reason or not, they have to keep score.

As far as overpaid athletes, when the market can warrant what they make, then more power to them.

Even with our horrible benefits here, we get 3 days bereavement for immediate family members PAID! They usually give leniency for Grandparents even though they are not considered 'immediate family'. They even gave me leniency for my cousin this past February.

I'm fortunate enough to work for a company that believes in bereavement leave for immediate family, grandparents, in-laws, brothers/sisters and domestic partners....

I was able to take 5 days off (with pay) in February with the passing of my Mother. Trust me, I needed the time to get everything in order for the services, burial, etc. I would've taken vacation time if needed but fortunately for me, it wasn't needed.

"I think the important thing is everybody grieves differently. That's the thing that I learned, or we learned, in this," Childress said. "In the end, it's not important to be right, but to get it right."

Good for them, it's nice to see someone with this attitude.

First of all, they wouldn't be getting paid this money if the owners weren't making a killing. In football especially, where there are no guaranteed contracts, they should get all they can when they can. Football players are always one play away from possibly being Darryl Stingly. Most also have health problems the rest of their lives after retirement. Allowing a player to miss a game because of a grandmother's funeral is not exactly what I call "babying". A sports reporter said this morning, "So what the Vikes are saying is, a Sunday is worth more than a lifetime".

Wasn't fined for the funeral, but for vanishing for 9 days and nobody could find him.:confused:

Wasn't fined for the funeral, but for vanishing for 9 days and nobody could find him.:confused:

"Coach Brad Childress told Twin Cities-area media following Thursday's practice that the decision was on a "business principle" of the Vikings organization.

"He had a family obligation that he had to see to," Childress said. "We sat down and talked on it before he left. ... He had to do what he had to do. Everybody handles that differently. [Williamson] had to do what his family situation called for."

Looks to me like they knew where he was if they talked to him about it before he left.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back