Mike Green background? (1 Viewer)

Sandman

Nitro Member
I know someone here must know this, but what's Mike Green's history prior to DSR? He seems like a very smart guy that is also quite polite and well-spoken, but prior to working with Cory Mac at DSR I don't know much about him. Any help here?

.....Don't know Mike's exact background, but wasn't he kind of Lee Beards right hand man going all the way back to Gary Ormsby's time (???).....Have to admit I'd have to do some more digging to remember just where all he's been..................................e

I never heard about the McDonalds car thing. I saw that car in person in the '90's and it was tuned by Bob Brandt then, not Mike Green. Anyway, thanks for the info, just trying learn about one of my heroes.

cory & fram
tj/snake & skoal
cory/gibbs & mbna
i think gwynn racing?
with schifsky & beard on ormsby's tf'r?

is that close?

Wow, he really has been around. Thanks for the list, those are lots of my favorite drivers and teams.

Mid 97 out of college I started working for Pi Research, a motorsports data acq company big in F-1 and Indy car as their drag guy.

One of our first customers was the Gibbs/McD car that Green tuned. I had a great time working around that guy. He is about as straight of a shooter you will find in TF crew chiefs. I had a drag racing background but it was from running my Comp Elim car. I will never forget one of the first things he wanted me to fix at the track was his flow meter needing a new connector after a blower back fire. My Comp car didn't have a flow meter so I had no idea what in the hell to even look for on his car. I was straight up with him and told him pretty much the same thing. He said it was no problem, took me out to the car and explained it to me.

For the rest of that season every friday night I would sit next to the guy looking at data and he would explain things happening on the car and answering pretty much any question I had.

To sum it up, Mike is a class act.

I did eventually get Aj to run one in 99 on the dragster. Whit had one on the FC too. AJ kept running the PI until the FC deal went south...E-moola=No-Moola. ACtually we ran it on the WhiteCap FC too.

Pi was bought by Ford in 2000 . Ford wanted an in house data acq system for their F-1 team. I left Pi at that time and went to work for AJ as his Pi guy. I also worked with GM with their Pi teams. A couple years later Ford got out of F-1 and Pi has changed its focus to more of an OEM provoder of electronics from what I remember.

The Pi system was way ahead of its time for drag racing. At the time there was a limited amount of crew chiefs that could appreciate its potential.

Toby, does Pi still have units out there in NHRA ? I thought Alan Johnson ran one for a awhile ?

Last edited:
I remember Pi Research!!!

What a hot mess the Jaguar (Ford) F1 team was. Yet, a healthy percentage of that team/staff still exist and have won back-to-back championships with the team they became after Ford sold them ... Red Bull F1.

Yea the Red Bull team turned out to be fairly respectable :)

I remember Pi Research!!!

What a hot mess the Jaguar (Ford) F1 team was. Yet, a healthy percentage of that team/staff still exist and have won back-to-back championships with the team they became after Ford sold them ... Red Bull F1.

Yea the Red Bull team turned out to be fairly respectable :)

See: Newey, Adrian for path to instant respectability.

Ironically, when Bobby Rahal was running Jaguar F1 he got Adrain Newey to sign with Jaguar and leave McLaren. McLaren threatened lawsuits to Ford and basically offered to open the coffers to get Adrian to stay at McLaren. Not long after, Rahal was out at Jaguar and Ford was out of F1. Now Newey is at the remnants of that team winning championships. Weird.

JaguarF1 will always hold a special place in my heart though, at the first USGP in Indy 2000, the first car on the track for the first Friday practice session was Eddie Irvine. It was the first F1 car I saw tear onto a track in anger in person.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back