michigan nitro (1 Viewer)

wilbur

Nitro Member
Because of the lack of the almighty buck, our gang won`t be attending any out of state races this year. I was hoping my fellow michiganders, or fellow mid-westerners, might be able to tell me about any pro nitro, or alky events, that are worth attending in michigan. I know there are events at milan, and 131. Can anyone tell me what events might rate up there with a full-throttle event. I know that is asking alot. But you folks here,usually are up on these matters (maters). Any help would be welcomed. Would also be interested in any nostalgia nitro events in mich.

Last edited:
Funny Car Nationals
US 131 Motorsports Park
Sept 12th

Nostalgia FCs (nitro and alky), Front Engine Dragsters and usually a couple big show cars

If you're anywhere say south of maybe Grand Rapids or Clare....Norwalk isn't that far -or even Chicago. I'd seriously reconsider making those drives. We used to drive to and from Bears' games from Oxford/Lake Orion in a day. In light of recent events I would hope that Milan would be bringing in some match races still this season. I've preached since the 1970's that it's a dirtydam shame that Michigan doesn't host a premiere NHRA FTDRS event. Trust me - I was born & raised in Detroit Rock City....I know first hand about the lack of nitro there... and it sucks!

Milan does not have a national event this year so no nitro. 131 will have an ihra event but they don't have Funny car any more.

Like Mike said 131 does have the funny car nationals in sept. Its a good time and lower price but not a full national event type of show

Like Chris said though Norwalk is a short drive. heck for me its closer than 131. They have a points meet with jets and a good show, they of course the nhra rolls into town for a national event

Michael,(4 what it's worth) I would highly recommend the IHRA Natls. at 131.
Don't know where you are in Mich. but Norwalk may not be far, if you want the "FULL THROTTLE" deal.

Also Rt 66 is not a bad ride, (again depending on your location) for a possible nhra natl. fix.

Closer to home, like Mike and John said 131 has several nice shows besides the natls.

Milan (I've heard) just became NHRA Sanctioned, so, that may help you out if you want to research that further.

These guys are right, the IHRA National event at 131 is about as good as it gets in MI. Also, remember that there is an ADRL race this year at 131 in June. I've heard the Thunder Nats and FC Nats are also pretty good. Joliet isn't that much further, depending on your location. We usually go to the IHRA and ADRL races there.

Also, if you want to try something different this year, check out the sand drags at West Michigan Sand Dragway (Silver Lake, MI) or Ionia Sand Drags (Ionia, MI). Plenty of bang for the buck at these races. The biggest races of the year are on back to back weekends July 17-18 (Ionia) and July 24-26 (WMSD). Should be plenty of out of state cars and huge turnouts. The Top Alcohol Dragster class is the headline of the show and there should be a great turnout at Ionia ... who knows, you might even get a wiff or two of nitro off of the 4 cylinder turbo dragsters. West Michigan Sand Dragway - Sand Drag Racing at it's Finest and Ionia Sand Drags v2.0

Grand Bend Ontario, Mopar Nationals July 17-19. Just about an hour from Port Huron over the Blue Water Bridge.

Just make sure you have a passport. As of right now after June 1st you will need a passport to get back into the States. There is talk of delaying this a year,hopefully for the sake of tourism on both sides of the border they will come up with a better solution. if you can make it to the Bend,it's a great little resort town with an awesome beach on Lake Huron,lots of stuff to do for families.

A week before Great Bend, just announced, KISS will be playing at Bayfest in Sarnia, ON !! Speaking of Sarnia...GO JAMIE!! He's my kinfolk, #11 for your Sarnia Sting!!!! I hope they kick Plymouth's butt in this round of the OHL playoffs!!! :)

A week before Great Bend, just announced, KISS will be playing at Bayfest in Sarnia, ON !! Speaking of Sarnia...GO JAMIE!! He's my kinfolk, #11 for your Sarnia Sting!!!! I hope they kick Plymouth's butt in this round of the OHL playoffs!!! :)

Hey Chris,a buddy of mine's son plays for the Sting,Mitch Dunning. Don't want to burst your bubble but if the Sting were to advance,they'd have to play our Spitfires, the no. 1 ranked junior team in Canada. GO SPITS!

Last edited:
I just knew you guy`s and gal`s would come through for me. Your like my nitro wikipedia.Great info. I`d never thought of great bend, what a great idea. I`ll have to check into the passport thing, what a drag. The sand drags also sound like a hoot. Is it quarter, or eighth mile. Norwalk used to be our stop, not this year. Thanks again friends. Your awesome. Mike.

I just knew you guy`s and gal`s would come through for me. Your like my nitro wikipedia.Great info. I`d never thought of great bend, what a great idea. I`ll have to check into the passport thing, what a drag. The sand drags also sound like a hoot. Is it quarter, or eighth mile. Norwalk used to be our stop, not this year. Thanks again friends. Your awesome. Mike.

Just so you know Michael,it's "Grand Bend". The track is about the same caliber as Milan.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back