Mcclenathan bumped out in opening round in joliet (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]JOLIET, Ill. (June 7, 2009) - Driving the Valvoline Engine Guarantee Top Fuel Dragster in this weekend's NHRA Route 66 Nationals, Cory McClenathan found himself on the sidelines following his opening-round match-up against Rod Fuller, who was making his first season appearance in the 2009 NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series.

Fuller edged out McClenathan with a .059 reaction time to McClenathan's .091 (.000 is perfect), and held the margin for 1000 feet to take the victory with a slower 3.885-second elapsed time at 310.84 mph to McClenathan's quicker but losing 3.861/313.37, his quickest and fastest run of the weekend. He holds on to No. 5 in the point standings.

"A holeshot loss is a holeshot loss, that's the way it is," said a disappointed McClenathan, who will return to running the FRAM Tough Guard car at the next event. "No matter how you stage them up or anything else, the numbers are what they are.

"As a driver, it's the worst thing. You want to slit your wrists when that happens. Hide the sharp objects and let's go on to Englishtown and do better.

"We have a good race car. (Crew chiefs) Todd (Okuhara), Phil (Shuler) and the FRAM guys have done a great job. Obviously, we would have liked to have qualified better, but at the same time these guys did what they were supposed to do today and their driver didn't.

"Luckily I have only a couple more days and I'm right back in a race car. So, I won't be able to think about it too much."

Next up is the NHRA Supernationals in Englishtown, N.J., June 12-14.

UNOFFICIAL TOP FUEL POINT STANDINGS, after 10 events:
1. Antron Brown, 770 (runner-up today)
2. Tony Schumacher, 752
3. Brandon Bernstein, 701
4. Larry Dixon, 650
5. Cory McClenathan, 595
6. Morgan Lucas, 576
7. Shawn Langdon, 556
8. Spencer Massey, 560 (winner today)
9. Doug Kalitta, 475
10. Clay Millican, 397

Cory Mac Facebook Fan Page: