Matt Smith Wins at Denver (1 Viewer)

Matt Smith Wins at Denver

Never winning a round before at Denver’s Mile-high track, Matt Smith and his Torco Race Fuels Buell were determined to make things go their way this time around.

Qualifying with an incredible 7.347 et at 180.24 mph, Smith qualified in the No. 1 position for the fourth time this year.

“We ran pretty well in qualifying,” said Smith. “It’s kind of funny, because I have never actually tuned a bike up on this mountain until this year. No one wanted to help me out, except dad, so it was pretty cool when we ran low elapse time . We ended up breaking a crank trigger in the fourth qualifying session, so that slowed us up a bit, but we should be good for raceday.”

Facing off against Mike Berry first round, Smith knew anything could happen on Sunday so he was on his A-game. With Mike Berry red-lighting, Smith got a gift when he broke a piston as soon as he left the line.

Swapping motors before the second round, Smith would have to once again guess at the tune-up since it was the first time this motor had been down the Mile-High track. Running against the always fast Harley Davidson of Eddie Krawic, Smith once again cut a great light and got the win light into the semi’s.

Adjusting the tune-up somewhat for the semi’s, Smith knew his former teammate would be a tough one as he was the fastest bike in both the first and the second round. Leaving the line together, Smith would post a stellar time and fly by Chip Ellis to advance to the finals.

Running in his sixth final out of the possible eight races ran so far this year by the Pro Stock Motorcycle’s, Smith wanted this one bad. With Angelle Sampey in the other lane, Smith knew it would be tough. As the two best bikes in the class staged, Smith would turn his light green as Sampey’s would turn hers red.

Getting his second win this year and the fourth of his career, Smith extended his point’s lead to 103 points over Sampey.

“Holy smokes,” said Smith. “I am so excited right now. We have worked so hard to get where we are right now and it is paying off. My dad and Evan Knoll, what can I say, I wouldn’t be here without them. I owe it all to them.”

Smith’s Torco Race Fuels teammate, Chris Rivas didn’t have quite the luck. Running well in qualifying, Rivas ended up in tenth position but had to face off against the ever-quick Sampey.

Cutting a good light and running a great time, Rivas’s bike was just no match for Sampey’s as she strolled though for the win light in the opening round.

“We definitely didn’t run as well as we would have liked,” said Rivas. “There is a few things we are going to change so that my bike is more like Matt’s, so maybe we can run a little closer together. Running up here is always difficult, but we will get it figured out soon enough. I have to thank Evan Knoll for giving me this opportunity once again.”

Evan Knoll, founder of Knoll Gas-Torco Racing Fuels and a major sponsor of motorsports, has dedicated himself to bringing high quality racing fuel to every aspect of motorsports. When Evan is not spending time with his daughters you will find him following one of his many-sponsored race teams. Evan is a loyal family man and an avid drag racing fan.

The company also offers commercial and racing oils and lubes; SKULL Shine, a
complete line of car care products; SKULL Gear, a complete line of apparel, traction compound, and racing-related accessories.

For more information on Torco Racing Fuels, SKULL Shine Car Care Products and SKULL Gear apparel, please visit: Torco Racing Fuels or Torco Racing Fuels.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back