Mark Thomas in '09?????? (1 Viewer)

scsp390

Nitro Member
ANOTHER IHRA REGULAR GONE?
Written by CompetitionPlus
Monday, 10 November 2008
Multiple sources have confirmed that multi-time IHRA Top Alcohol Funny Car champion Mark Thomas has parked his operation for at least the 2009 season. The rumor mill is running rampant with suggestions the reason focuses on the uncertainty for 2009 to personal reasons. Time will tell on this one.

WOW.. Here we go again!!!:eek: Of all racers Mark Thomas was the one I thought Would never ever park his racing operation. Mark is by far one of the nicest friendliest racers on either side of the sport-IHRA/NHRA!!!:D I hope that the rumors are not true.:eek:

Wow,that really is a shock,and definitely one that will really hurt the IHRA. Mark thomas is one of the nicest racers I have ever met and a real champion. I really hope this is not true as this could be a lethal blow to a/fc and IHRA.If it's for personal reasons I hope he's able to work them out.

Is a shame for Mark to park his ride for the year to come..but do any of you realy think the heads at the IHRA care?.... i personaly don't believe they do... well maybe one or two ..but notthe ones i am thinking of...lol

Billy

I was watching an ihra race from 1997 and said mark Thomas and I recalled back to the time I bought a t shirt from his trailer. I was about 15 or so and I remember how when I bought it, he is the guy who took the money and got me the shirt. Then he signed it, looked me in he eyes and gave me the most genuine thank you ever. He did this all with his hands and arms covered in clutch dust as he actually stopped working on the car to make the sale. This guy at the time was the john force of ihra alcohol cars too. I read the comp plus article on how he left racing to see what it would be like, leaving with plenty of sponsors and support waiting to see if he would return.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if he has any inkling of coming back, or if he's loving life as a farmer?

On another note, what happened to the ihra? Back then it was totally awesome, now its kind of a joke....

Yes indeed I had a very similar experience in 2007 (I think), getting a T-shirt from him and him offering to sign it. A very humble, super-nice guy who oozed drag racing from his pores.

Totally agree about the I - every year since they changed their format I go to the Edmonton race and keep pining for the "good old days". Even with the announcer shilling saying it's the biggest and best turnout I disagree. Having 4 TF cars (and we were lucky to have that!), NO A/FC's, NO PM, NO PS, leaves a big hole in a once-great series.

Brought my son, then 8 years old, to their trailer for a t shirt. Mark was in the camper section having lunch. Next thing we know we're sitting down and having a bite with them. Very nice down to earth racer. Hope he is enjoying life.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if he has any inkling of coming back, or if he's loving life as a farmer?

I see Mark on occasion as I have family that farms down the road from him and family that live in the same town.

Mark is truly one of the great sportsman of drag racing.

Last time we spoke he seemed happy tractor pulling with his kids and building street rods to play with. We joked about putting him in a Top Fuel ride. He didn't say NO - but you could tell he was content at home. Perhaps when the kids grow up... who knows - we all can hope.

Mark can usually be found roaming the pits in Norwalk at the NHRA National events. Terry and I commented that we didn't see him this year - and how we missed that. I guess I'll have to plan a trip to Louisville, OH and stop by the farm on Georgetown.... but make it late - he's probably on a tractor somewhere.

I see Mark on occasion as I have family that farms down the road from him and family that live in the same town.

Mark is truly one of the great sportsman of drag racing.

Last time we spoke he seemed happy tractor pulling with his kids and building street rods to play with. We joked about putting him in a Top Fuel ride. He didn't say NO - but you could tell he was content at home. Perhaps when the kids grow up... who knows - we all can hope.

Mark can usually be found roaming the pits in Norwalk at the NHRA National events. Terry and I commented that we didn't see him this year - and how we missed that. I guess I'll have to plan a trip to Louisville, OH and stop by the farm on Georgetown.... but make it late - he's probably on a tractor somewhere.

Awesome, let him know he still has fans that miss him at the track!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back