Manufacturers and 64 Funny Car meets (1 Viewer)

Al

Nitro Member
Hey guys. I am just curious. I have been really enjoying Mark and others posting memories of the big OCIR (and other tracks) big Manufacturers Funny Car meets and the 64 Funny Car meets. Since my first drag race in 1968, I had only attended National Open and National Events (in the Northwest). Keep in mind that I live 12 hours north of Seattle. When Seattle lost it's national event for 7 years, I went to other venues such as Fremont, OCIR, Indy, then later in life (with my son) to other venues such as Vegas, Gainesville,Charlotte, etc. For the most part, the crowds have always been very well behaved at all of these venues. HOWEVER, in 1978 I went to the 64 Funny Car meet in Seattle. I really enjoyed the racing and liked having my only opportunity to see a couple of rocket cars, but the crowd was out of control the entire event ! Several times they climbed the fences and guardrails and SIR management had to stop the racing until they got away from the track surface, Security was overwhelmed. They tried shutting off all of the lights at the facility until they complied. The announcer even had the (minority of behaved) fans chant "Get Back, Get Back". I have always enjoyed watching people have a good time, but this was ridiculous ! They finally did get the event mostly completed but the curfew prevented completing the BB/FC portion of the show. So my question is : At other big Funny Car events (like OCIR's Manufacturers race) did they have the same issue with crowds at these races, or was this just a Seattle thing in the 70's ??
And Merry Christmas to you all !!

OCIR had some fights. One guy got stabbed from what I remember (was not there). Sometimes the crowds got rowdy at all the tracks for the big races, but I don't remember too many incidents. The Last Race at Lions was out of control cuz of so many drunks & druggies, altho they did get the race run.

Oh my, 64 Funny Cars at Seattle went to every one. Bill Doner started 64 FC in 1971 at Seattle. Did the crowds get
out of controll. LOL. The fans would take over the place every first Sat in Aug for about 8 years. It was either 73 or 74
after the races my buddy John and I was walking out into the parking lot, really dark no lights just lights from cars
trying to leave. We think we here a gun shot, we walk another 100 yards and yes one dead guy in his van. He got
caught with another mans lady end of story. Spokane that is a story for another day, that place was rowdy into the
mid 80s. And speaking of Mr. Doner, 1972 Northwest National Open in May he brings in X-Rated movie star Linda Lovelace
to be race queen and help her promote her new movie Deep Thoat. I have a picture some place of her and
Ed "The Ace" McCulloch in the winners circle. Ed won Funny Car that day. And yes the fans went nuts!

Last edited:
Oh my 64 Funny Cars at Seattle went to every one. Bill Doner started 64 FC in 1971 at Seattle. Did the crowds get
out of controll. LOL. The fans would take over the place every first Sat in Aug for about 8 years. It was either 73 or 74
after the races my buddy John and I was walking out into the parking lot, really dark no lights just lights from cars
trying to leave. We think we here a gun shot, we walk another 100 yards and yes one dead guy in his van. He got
caught with another mans lady end of story. Spokane that is a story for another day, that place was rowdy into the
mid 80s. And speaking of Mr. Doner, 1972 Northwest National Open in May he brings in X-Rated movie star Linda Lovelace
to be race queen and help her promote her new movie Deep Thoat. I have a picture some place of her and
Ed "The Ace" McCulloch in the winners circle. Ed won Funny Car that day. And yes the fans went nuts!

Yes. I remember the Lovelace deal. Doner said later that he regretted that bc he got the gears from sponsors . So the next year he got a little boy to sing the anthem and be the VIP. I went to several National Opens there (in 71 I took the Prudhomme fire photo) and most of the National events, but it seemed to be a different crowd at 64 Funny Cars. At least the behavior was different.

Yes. I remember the Lovelace deal. Doner said later that he regretted that bc he got the gears from sponsors . So the next year he got a little boy to sing the anthem and be the VIP. I went to several National Opens there (in 71 I took the Prudhomme fire photo) and most of the National events, but it seemed to be a different crowd at 64 Funny Cars. At least the behavior was different.

Allan the fire photo. My sister and I we're standing in the same area at the finish line. What a crazy run by the snake
My sister was freaking out. first time I ever heard her say the F word LOL. You say you are 12 hours north of Seattle you
must be from the Edmonton area? Have made a ton of friends from Canada over the years, great drag racing fans! If you
are going to party with Canadian drag fans you better bring your A-GAME with you YIKES

Last edited:
Allan the fire photo. My sister and I we're standing in the same area at the finish line. What a crazy run by the snake
My sister was freaking out. first time I ever heard her say the F word LOL. You say you are 12 hours north of Seattle you
must be from the Edmonton area? Have made a ton of friends from Canada over the years, great drag racing fans! If you
are going to party with Canadian drag fans you better bring your A-GAME with you YIKES

Hi Jim. I'm actually in the middle of B.C. (Pr.Geo.) Interesting that you were also at the top end at Seattle that fateful day. Was only 14 at the time (my older brother took me). But I can remember it like yesterday. Taking that photo gave me opportunities that I could never have imagined.
BTW. At my age now, hard partying is a thing of the past !

Hi Jim. I'm actually in the middle of B.C. (Pr.Geo.) Interesting that you were also at the top end at Seattle that fateful day. Was only 14 at the time (my older brother took me). But I can remember it like yesterday. Taking that photo gave me opportunities that I could never have imagined.
BTW. At my age now, hard partying is a thing of the past !

Allan. I was 11 at the time, my older sister took me. She is going on 72 now. She took me to my first
drag race at Pacific Raceway in 1968. I live 15 minutes east of the track. No more hard partying for
me either, maybe a couple of beers at the races. I fryed to many brain cells from 1975 to the mid 90s
But hay had a blast, no regrets. Plus I can still remember 90% of the races I was at back then LOL

FB_IMG_1608681673000.jpg

Allen
I went to every single 64-car meets at Irwindale, O.C.I.R. and 2 at SIR.

This is just my viewpoint on the Doner promotions. They were good with major hype but at a couple at Orange County and 1 at SIR, the crowd got some what rowdy. I think the rowdy behavior came from the non-hardcore fans who got tore-up with beer, booze and bud. My view is that Doner did not have enough security at the 1 race at Orange County and nearly not enough up in Kent.

The Orange County race seemed to have issues behind the grandstands, the parking lot and the rest rooms. It was annoying watch these dipwads behave like idiots.

I was personally glad when Doner stopped promoting at O.C.I.R. The Fox Hunts got a bit testy a few times as well.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Announcer

The program is really interesting.

Attachments

• ocir_funny_car-3.gif
    ocir_funny_car-3.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 41
  • ocir_funny_car-5.gif
    ocir_funny_car-5.gif
    6.4 MB · Views: 37
  • ocir_funny_car-8.gif
    ocir_funny_car-8.gif