Mandatory Blue Box In Fuel Cars (1 Viewer)

I've never been a Ford fan but I have to give them props for stepping up and helping to make the sport safer by offering these boxes, and for free. Hopefully they can gather some good data to help protect the drivers.

This is great news and a hell of a nice gesture by the people at Ford. When all we've been hearing about folks getting out of our sport, this shows that Drag Racing has a worth and the drivers, teams, and families do still matter.

THANKS FORD!!!

I applaud this gesture from the good folks at Ford. It's especially important that it be across the board for all cars but I can imagine there is still some Force bashers out there believing this is just another way for JFR to stay ahead by getting readings from his competitors that could contribute to his advantage.

I'm all for safety but this is especially nice to have it not burden others with added expenses like so many other changes have over the years.

This is really hard for this BowTie loyalist but here is a huge THANK YOU to Ford, Dan Davis, NHRA, and JFR!!!

:):):)

I hope the installation is very simple. This avionics stuff can get out of hand. Also, who is going to perform testing on the system to insure that the quality of the download is the same on all the cars?

A magnanamus gesture on the part of Ford- As many may know, the research on the HANS device was -correct me if I'm wrong, partly funded by GM and (former) Daimler-Chrysler.

Let's all hope a crash analysys will NEVER have to be undertaken because of another failure of a grossly overstressed chassis. Or from a tire blown apart because of questionable manufacture.

A magnanamus gesture on the part of Ford- As many may know, the research on the HANS device was -correct me if I'm wrong, partly funded by GM and (former) Daimler-Chrysler.

Let's all hope a crash analysys will NEVER have to be undertaken because of another failure of a grossly overstressed chassis. Or from a tire blown apart because of questionable manufacture.

Not only did GM have a part in the development of the HANS device but the also covered the cost of them for any driver that was part of their program. The also had their in house racing safety guy evaluate the whole package re driver containment, seat belt installation, cage design etc. We took the Pro FWD Cavalier up to Detroit for a "dog and pony" show at one time and spent quite a bit of time with the engineer looking for ways to make the car safer.

Roo

Now this surprised me!

Data collection through the Ford Blue Boxes and accelerometers in the drivers’ ears

Now this surprised me!

Data collection through the Ford Blue Boxes and accelerometers in the drivers’ ears

Yeah. Remember when Ashley banged her Mustang into the wall this season, she was talking about that "earbud" device that kind of looked like a bluetooth earpiece? She mentioned that it was an accelerometer.

Yeah. Remember when Ashley banged her Mustang into the wall this season, she was talking about that "earbud" device that kind of looked like a bluetooth earpiece? She mentioned that it was an accelerometer.

Ashley took a 58 G hit (if I remember right) in her crash recorded by those earplug accelerometers.

Did a little research.
For all the "Bow Tie Loyalists" out there, GM pioneered the devices at the Indy 500 in 1993 with product from a company called IST in Okemos, Mich.

In "96 GM equipped all the IRL cars and Ford, in a kind of cooperative thing, the ChampCar series in '97.

The highest survivable crash was 214 Gs to the CAR- not the driver's ear like Miss Force.

When you sneeze you sustain 3.5 Gs!

It is pretty impressive what the body can handle. Its all about instantaneous G's that are sustainable. I have seen some in car camera footage of a circle track car slapping a wall. It was around a 100G spike. The drivers hands flew across the passenger seat. Its kinda like jumping off a building...its not the fall that hurts...its the sudden stop. The passenger side of the car was destroyed, it took out the higher loads from reaching the driver for longer amounts of time.

Did a little research.
For all the "Bow Tie Loyalists" out there, GM pioneered the devices at the Indy 500 in 1993 with product from a company called IST in Okemos, Mich.

In "96 GM equipped all the IRL cars and Ford, in a kind of cooperative thing, the ChampCar series in '97.

The highest survivable crash was 214 Gs to the CAR- not the driver's ear like Miss Force.

Did a little research.

Where is GM now? if they have one now as sophisticated as the Ford unit is today with the ear pieces, they would probably charge you for it if you weren't on their team like they did with the hans device.

Where is GM now? if they have one now as sophisticated as the Ford unit is today with the ear pieces, they would probably charge you for it if you weren't on their team like they did with the hans device.
Kenneth, your true colors are showing. Were you once run over by a GM product gone wild?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back