Lucas seizes provisional No. 2 position (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1]Pomona, Thursday: Morgan Lucas, driving his Lucas Oil Stabilizer Top Fuel dragster seized the No. 2 provisional qualifying position after the first day of qualifying was concluded with his run of 3.855 seconds, 306.46 mph at the 44th annual Auto Club NHRA Finals at the Auto Club Raceway at Pomona. His Lucas Oil Racing teammate, J.R. Todd, just outdistanced Lucas in taking the top spot in the qualifying order with the quickest pass of the day of 3.851 seconds, 308.14 mph.

“Jimmy (Walsh, crew chief) spent the last couple weeks doing some problem solving and checking some things out,” said a smiling Lucas. “I think he found some things out that could have contributed to what he was having some struggles with before. It goes to show he’s a quality person and for us to start like that could be a really good lead off for more to come next year. I really am excited about it, looked up at the scoreboard after I shut the car off, saw that number pop up, and wow! That was the best we’ve made since Sonoma.

With the heat and temperature rising into the 90-degree range for the next couple of days, Lucas and crew are pretty excited about their chances of battling the hot and slick conditions.

“I haven’t looked at the computer, yet, but I have no doubt in my mind that it’s plenty safe,” said Lucas. “I’ve been thinking that we’ve been behind the power curve a little bit. What Jimmy found this last week basically said exactly that we were a little on the soft side and I think things are going to come around now. I’m not 100 per cent sure, but what I do know is to run that good in the conditions we had today; you have to have yourself together right to a certain point. I think we’re definitely close.”

Attachments

• Morgan_Lucas.jpg
    Morgan_Lucas.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 297
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back