Live TV (1 Viewer)

Bobby

Nitro Member
Well after Marty giving us a huge hint about what was going to happen during the last broadcast, something that could never be done with a live broadcast - unless of course you have a crystal ball, I 'm thinking why can't it be live.
The NHRA has done a fantastic job with compacting the show the last few years. Oildowns are nowhere near the problem they once were.

Why not show the first 3 rounds on tape delay, and time it so that the final at the end of the show is live? I've seen this happen when there have been rain delays, and it's been awesome.

They are fairly consistent about getting the finals run by a certain time aren't they?

Then if we run over - we ruin it for the LPGA fans :D

Atlanta's final was 2 hours late -- almost live by the time it got to ESPN. Vegas was a nightmare of oildowns -- Jeggy's alone took more than 1/2 hour to clean up (I was there). I just don't see live ever happening...

BTW, Marty's comment (see other thread) was made before the final round ran. Live wouldn't have changed that.

They used to do the broadcasts like that. There were a few other variations on the live deal but none seemed to measure up to the professionalism of the Diamond P predecessors. Plus it costs MUCH more to produce such a live show that will live up to the industry standards.

Until NHRA (or IHRA, ADRL, ect.) can land on a network deal where they don't have to pay-to-air drag racing won't be able to go live. When you have to buy your airtime you can't be flexible with your broadcast window.

Drag racing needs some outside-of-the-box options for live broadcasts to work and grow. A dedicated network (like the NFL Network) is one option, but cost vs. return is an issue. On-Demand...it would still be tape-delayed in some form. SPEED and FUEL are natural choices, but they would have to commit to giving drag racing top priority on race days.

Right now a live internet feed is a good option IF one had access to the technology to make it work without failures (bigger, badder servers, hosts, feeds, etc.). The technology is out there and the costs would be less than buying aritime. The downside to that is advertisement and exposure. It would further narrow the audience and offer sponsors/advertisers LESS return on their investments.

They used to do the broadcasts like that. There were a few other variations on the live deal but none seemed to measure up to the professionalism of the Diamond P predecessors. Plus it costs MUCH more to produce such a live show that will live up to the industry standards.

Right now a live internet feed is a good option .

Not meaning to jump on you Wes, but, folks seem to remember Diamond P as being a LOT better than it actually was. Best we had at the time (limited $$ and airtime) but (IMHO) the production was pretty basic and not a LOT of variety.
-------------
I'm pretty happy with the Audiocast but, a (passive) streaming of video with the tower chatter would be GREAT!

Re: Live TV? Or not?

I always record the racing, and watch it late Sunday evening after the household has settled down for the day. That way, there are fewer inturruptions as I watch the program. Plus, as the weather gets better and warmer, I simply refuse to waste a nice Sunday afternoon/evening sitting inside the house watching the stupid TV when I can be outside doing something else. That's why I record and watch the shows after the sun has set.

Therefore, live TV just isn't the holy grail to me that it seems to be to other people here. I would still do my time shifting, so I don't care.

I always record the racing, and watch it late Sunday evening after the household has settled down for the day. That way, there are fewer inturruptions as I watch the program. Plus, as the weather gets better and warmer, I simply refuse to waste a nice Sunday afternoon/evening sitting inside the house watching the stupid TV when I can be outside doing something else. That's why I record and watch the shows after the sun has set.

Therefore, live TV just isn't the holy grail to me that it seems to be to other people here. I would still do my time shifting, so I don't care.
I hear ya, David--I always record and watch later--which gives us another plus--the ability to fast forward through the commercials!

I bet a live broadcast would do wonders for the Ratings, but weather and just oildown would kill it IMO!

I hear ya, David--I always record and watch later--which gives us another plus--the ability to fast forward through the commercials!
AMEN! I will actually try to wait about an hour into it...that way if it starts late, I still very rarely 'catch up' to it. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back