Line Reaches Sonoma Semifinals, Secures Playoff Berth (1 Viewer)

Summit Racing Pro Stock driver Jason Line came into Sunday’s final eliminations of the Fram/Autolite NHRA Nationals in Sonoma, Calif. with a certain degree of uncertainty. After battling to match their race car for the Infineon Raceway surface throughout qualifying, they entered race day having only made one good run, a 6.577-second, 210.05 mph effort that secured the Minnesota native the ninth starting position. Therefore, there was some question as to how well he would run.

Fortunately, the 2006 champion quickly addressed any concerns in the opening round, bettering his qualifying performance with a 6.573-second, 210.37 mph pass to eliminate veteran Larry Morgan. It was a similar situation in the second round, as he once again ran quicker, using a 6.564-second, 210.34 mph lap to narrowly defeat No. 1 qualifier Allen Johnson, who recorded a 6.569-second, 210.73 mph effort in defeat.

The last obstacle between Line and his 52nd career final round and a meeting with teammate Greg Anderson was Mike Edwards, who had won the Denver race one week ago. Although Line responded with a strong 6.577-second, 210.28 mph pass, it fell six thousandths of a second shy of overcoming his opponent’s slight starting line advantage and 6.588-second, 209.72 mph run. Although naturally disappointed to have his day end prematurely, Line took some consolation in how well his car ran, as well as having clinched his spot in the Countdown to the Championship playoffs.

“After struggling mightily on Friday, this Summit Racing team bounced back strong, making my car faster with every run,” said Line. “Although it was a little disheartening not to have both Summit cars in the final, my teammate Greg Anderson ended up winning the race, which is really all that matters. We were also able to lock ourselves into the Countdown with three races to go, so it turned out to be a fairly decent weekend.

“Still, with three races to go before the playoffs, I’d like to take advantage of this great hot rod and get myself back in the winner’s circle so we can have some momentum going in. Fortunately, we’ll have another opportunity next weekend in Seattle, and hopefully we can get the job done there.”

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back