Let The Turbo Wars Commence! (1 Viewer)

Buns

Nitro Member
From DRO..

On the heels of the leak to NHRA Pro Mod racers of new performance restrictions for the NHRA Roots supercharged and turbocharged Pro Mods, the Agent started getting notes in the old mayo jar regarding racers that may be changing to turbo power for the 2011 Get Screened America Pro Mod series.

Our spies say that nitrous Mopar stalwart Dennis Radford is building a twin-turbo car to race instead of his nitrous car.

We know for sure that supercharger racer Roger Burgess is in the process of going back to a turbo car with the help of Brad Personett. Burgess’s first Pro Mods were turbocharged.

A reliable source told Agent 1320 that Troy Coughlin, who has had every kind of powerplant available in his Pro Mods, is having a Jerry Bickel car built specifically for a Ken Dutweiler turbocharged Chevy engine. Our source says Jake Hairston is going to be the crew chief and also says that if Bickel doesn’t have the car finished in time for Gainesville then Troy will probably drive the Hairston’s PSCA championship-winning car until Bickel gets the new car finished.

2011 will be a very interesting year for the GSA series.

Last edited:
Pro mod will become Boring as He'll if Turbos take over the class! Personett has been fun to watch, but a whole class of Hair dryers will get boring fast!

You could be right, would be just like watching T/F and Floppers, every car the same with different paint:rolleyes:

d'kid

How's it any different than when all the Pro Mod racers switched to supercharged engines? or when everybody had a '63 Corvette? I'm not going to call it a fad, but eventually it'll all balance out.

Pro mod will become Boring as He'll if Turbos take over the class! Personett has been fun to watch, but a whole class of Hair dryers will get boring fast!

Not sure if everyone will have one. There's a big learning curve to running a competitive turbo car and there are only so many people that know how to do it.

If you look at the numbers, there are still way more supercharged and nitrous cars than turbo. This just evens it out to the point that it's fun.

Not sure if everyone will have one. There's a big learning curve to running a competitive turbo car and there are only so many people that know how to do it.

If you look at the numbers, there are still way more supercharged and nitrous cars than turbo. This just evens it out to the point that it's fun.

well maybe roger will refer to Eric Dillard whom actually borrowed his trailer for the Shakedown this year and using that 53 corvette turbo entry, I actually thought Burgess was in the house that weekend, but he wasn't.

well maybe roger will refer to Eric Dillard whom actually borrowed his trailer for the Shakedown this year and using that 53 corvette turbo entry, I actually thought Burgess was in the house that weekend, but he wasn't.

This is where it's a little confusing and we'll have to wait for news but that '53 Vette had a wedge in it. Roger said in his press release that Brad will be tuning all of their hemi cars. So I'm not sure if the Pro Line wedge engine will be gone now or what? Or maybe Roger will have an in-house engine program? I think it's one of those wait and see deals.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Corvette, though. It's pretty slick.

This is where it's a little confusing and we'll have to wait for news but that '53 Vette had a wedge in it. Roger said in his press release that Brad will be tuning all of their hemi cars. So I'm not sure if the Pro Line wedge engine will be gone now or what? Or maybe Roger will have an in-house engine program? I think it's one of those wait and see deals.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Corvette, though. It's pretty slick.

here it is at the shakedown courtesy of dave milcarek and steve bell;

10-2-10 3D 211

10-2-10 3D 210

The coolest part for me is waatching Personnet's car drive by everybody else in a very graphic fashion as viewewd in the overhead blimp shot.... You can really see the horsepower come alive about half track, and the amazing way he just drives around those other cars in top gear...

If he ever gets that "leave" figured out, it will be hard to beat.

The year 2011 will be interesting for Pro Mods, for sure.

and the loudest thing is when they stage up and the turbo spools up sounding like gunshots.

Oh well, to each his own. I like Racecars that SOUND like Racecars! I've heard people say they think the NOS cars are too quiet! Despite what anybody says, the Noise is the adrenaline Rush that creates the atmosphere when it comes to Drag racing.

Let's look at the bright side of this. If we had all turbo engines, when it got late we wouldn't need a curfew, we could just turn the lights down low, and the announcer could whisper:) "TURBO'S TO THE STAGING LANES PLEASE.":)

Last edited:
Oh well, to each his own. I like Racecars that SOUND like Racecars! I've heard people say they think the NOS cars are too quiet! Despite what anybody says, the Noise is the adrenaline Rush that creates the atmosphere when it comes to Drag racing.

Well, Joe, what you think is just that; what YOU think. That's your opinion, and as such, you're surely entitled to it. But, you don't speak for everyone.

A more enlightened opinion might consider the specific output of the engine in question, and in that case, pretty is, as pretty does...

Turbocharged engines have their own sounds, and though not as loud, they definitely have their own unique appeal.

Get used to it.

Well, Joe, what you think is just that; what YOU think. That's your opinion, and as such, you're surely entitled to it. But, you don't speak for everyone.

A more enlightened opinion might consider the specific output of the engine in question, and in that case, pretty is, as pretty does...

Turbocharged engines have their own sounds, and though not as loud, they definitely have their own unique appeal.

Get used to it.

You got it there Dedman!!

Get used to it.

+1!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back