Larry Morgan (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
I noticed Larry Morgan from Newark, Ohio, in Comp Elim, driving a Neon B/A. This is the same Larry Morgan from Pro Stock & Pro Mod fame, right? Did notice Larry was absent from Pro Mod. Hmmmmm.....

RATS! Larry got to the final, but bulbed aganist Bruno Massel. Well, he did get to the final, so that's good. I think he ran Comp years ago, in a 4 cyl Pontiac Fiero. OK, Larry, Comp and Pro Mod at the same race. Go for the double.....

I was surprised to see him in a B/A car, hey it does have a HEMI in it, 453CI i believe

and if I heard correctly he had a weight handicap because of the Mighty HEMI

Was watching the show on TV & they said Larry last ran Comp around 1986. He did win some Comp races.

I'm no relation to Larry Morgan, but he could be my 199th cousin, twice removed, on my dad's side. :rolleyes:

RATS! Larry got to the final, but bulbed aganist Bruno Massel. Well, he did get to the final, so that's good. I think he ran Comp years ago, in a 4 cyl Pontiac Fiero. OK, Larry, Comp and Pro Mod at the same race. Go for the double.....
Yes indeed, Larry once ran a 4-cyl. Comp car, but that was "Long ago and Fiero away!" :confused:

I'm no relation to Larry Morgan, but he could be my 199th cousin, twice removed, on my dad's side. :rolleyes:

You should try this:

upload_2017-6-25_21-52-11.png

Hmmmm. I might be surprised at what lurks in my genes, according to ads I've seen. I know I'm Cajun on my mom's side (she was a Guidry from Louisiana). My dad.... that would be interesting to me.Scottish, Irish, English or a combination. heh

Larry Morgan also put a shorter stroke Hemi in one of his Pro Stockers when he was running Pro Stock and was first in the 6s in B/ Altered.

if memory serves correctly....larry drove PS in late 80's for bob panella.....he doubled up at indy in 1989; not sure if these were
his first wins in PS or not......then before that i think was his comp days....driving for the 'castrol team'?, which included nickens
for sure i think, and i'm thinking butch leal too?.....think there was more....can remember the 'nationwise/castrol' livery on cars.
those were the days.....everyone still changed their own motor oil, and engines could be worked on in the garage....the oil companies,
the parts companies, so many sponsors so eager to be part of nhra back then.....the national events were huge. car counts were huge.

if memory serves correctly....larry drove PS in late 80's for bob panella.....he doubled up at indy in 1989; not sure if these were
his first wins in PS or not......then before that i think was his comp days....driving for the 'castrol team'?, which included nickens
for sure i think, and i'm thinking butch leal too?.....think there was more....can remember the 'nationwise/castrol' livery on cars.
those were the days.....everyone still changed their own motor oil, and engines could be worked on in the garage....the oil companies,
the parts companies, so many sponsors so eager to be part of nhra back then.....the national events were huge. car counts were huge.

Bud and Castrol both had super teams
Castrol had Leal, Pat Austin, Gary Orsmby, Morgan, Nickens, some guy named Force, Boertman.....I'm going blank on the others now.

Larry Morgan also put a shorter stroke Hemi in one of his Pro Stockers when he was running Pro Stock and was first in the 6s in B/ Altered.
I remember that. It was at National Trails and the window had his son Nick Morgan's name I believe. Did they lower the index after that?

Last edited:
Boy that was a great team....heavy hitters, all of 'em. I did like the Olds F/C body for that year.

Boy, does that picture bring back memories. Olds was pretty heavily involved with NHRA racing, and stage rally racing as well at that time.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back