King (?) of the re-posters (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member

Here are some wild finish line photos from Phil Burgess.

That pic of Oswalds 1990 blowup is something else. Worst destruction I've ever seen.
I was sitting in the stands even with the starting line at Ennis when Oswald's boomer happened. The fireball reached above the scoreboards. Plus, the concussion from that explosion was unreal. I could feel it from where I was sitting. I cannot imagine what it felt like to Oswald sitting two feet behind it.

Wasn't this when NHRA found out Kenny had a goofy wheelbase chassis or something up with the body? Billy Meyer blew the body off his Chief Auto Parts funny car so Kenny loaned him his spare Bud King body so he could continue probably to Armstrong's chagrin. Notice how the body doesn't fit Billy Meyer's chassis (front wheels deep into the wheel openings toward the front). I'm sure Dale was doing a facepalm when this happened. After that NHRA tech incorporated body templates, measured wheelbases on both sides of the car looking for long wheel base cars and front end offsets, and measured the nose of the body to center line of the front axle to verify front overhang if I recall correctly.

1621814067259.png

Wasn't this when NHRA found out Kenny had a goofy wheelbase chassis or something up with the body? Billy Meyer blew the body off his Chief Auto Parts funny car so Kenny loaned him his spare Bud King body so he could continue probably to Armstrong's chagrin. Notice how the body doesn't fit Billy Meyer's chassis (front wheels deep into the wheel openings toward the front). I'm sure Dale was doing a facepalm when this happened. After that NHRA tech incorporated body templates, measured wheelbases on both sides of the car looking for long wheel base cars and front end offsets, and measured the nose of the body to center line of the front axle to verify front overhang if I recall correctly.

View attachment 7809
Wow I never heard that story, wonder what the outcome was, Armstrong was a crafty dude. Not sure if the wheelbase was longer though, the rear wheels are pushed into the wheel wells just as much as the front, so it kind of looks like the body is moved back several inches on the chassis.

Garlits was the one who came up with the offset wheelbase. I think the front end was staggered by 6" or like that & no one caught on. That was the car that ran 6.21 at Indy & stunned everyone. NHRA did change the rules after that, I think the same for T/F and F/C.

The story about the body brings back a memory of my buddy Dale Armstrong. At Bakersfield he was running the Alcoholic TA/D it had a major off set front end, I mean "MAJOR" NHRA saw it in the lanes and told him to change it, he did they left then came back later and he had but it back to major off set. NHRA officials said put it in the trailer you are done😁. in my opinion Dale was the smartest racer and crew chief ever in drag racing.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter

The story about the body brings back a memory of my buddy Dale Armstrong. At Bakersfield he was running the Alcoholic TA/D it had a major off set front end, I mean "MAJOR" NHRA saw it in the lanes and told him to change it, he did they left then came back later and he had but it back to major off set. NHRA officials said put it in the trailer you are done😁. in my opinion Dale was the smartest racer and crew chief ever in drag racing.
Larry Sutton---Lions Starter

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back