Kalitta's New Car (1 Viewer)

Watch the show tonight, you will see what happened to the Kalitta car and also what happened to Tony in the last session,

Alan

Alan, I just got home from Pomona and caught the end of the telecast...the show doesn't tell them what happened to Tony in the last run. Mike and Marty were talking through the whole thing and then Marty said something about Rick Stewart was waving Tony in the get him to hurry up and stage.

Out there at Pomona tonight, Rick Stewart initially gave the sign to Tony's team to shut the car off because the Army machine was apparently leaking when Tony was backing up from the burnout. The crew was frantically wiping up the surface and checking the car out, which is part of the reason why it took so long for Tony to stage (and, probably part of the reason Tony lit the hides right at the hit too).

In any case, Tony has got his work cut out for him now. The conditions were pretty much perfect tonight and he probably could have beat that 4.437 and set a new record...but now not only does he not get the points for setting the record (at least not yet, we'll see tomorrow), but he also doesn't get any additional points for #1 qualifier since Dougie took it away by 6 thousandths of a second. And, since they're 1 and 2, the only time they can possibly meet up tomorrow is if the both make it to the final. Should be exciting.

EDIT: Comp Plus is reporting on the shutoff situation here.

Last edited:
EDIT: Comp Plus is reporting on the shutoff situation here.

Thanks for the link.

I just read that article and something sounds fishy to me. Since when does the driver not shut off when the chief starter tells him to shut off??? Sure, AJ didn’t tell him to shut off but then again how would AJ know if there was another problem at the other end of the track (for example) Since when does a crew chief have the final call if a car is safe to run when it‘s at the starting line?? In my opinion, Tony should be ashamed of himself for not doing as he was told by the guy who was in charge of this particular situation. Everybody knows the Ice Man has the final decision when it comes to situations like this!!! Including Tony Schumacher.

""I don't want anyone to think I didn't see him," the U.S. Army Dragster driver said afterward. "I clearly saw him. It's not my job as a driver to shut the car off. "
WTF????????

I am a big Shoe fan, but if someone of knowledge is flagging me to shut it off, I have been more than once reminded to LISTEN TO THAT PERSON. Strapped in obviously does not allow complete knowledge of what's going on around/behind you, as I have banged into my kid's head constantly. How am I to explain this action to him as being alright? :(

Thanks for the link.

I just read that article and something sounds fishy to me. Since when does the driver not shut off when the chief starter tells him to shut off??? Sure, AJ didn’t tell him to shut off but then again how would AJ know if there was another problem at the other end of the track (for example) Since when does a crew chief have the final call if a car is safe to run when it‘s at the starting line?? In my opinion, Tony should be ashamed of himself for not doing as he was told by the guy who was in charge of this particular situation. Everybody knows the Ice Man has the final decision when it comes to situations like this!!! Including Tony Schumacher.
i agree 100 percent! they should not be alowed to run. tony is spoiled period! if he didnt smoke the tires he jepordized both drivers safety! now i really want team kalitta to win it al tomorrow!

Gee, this reminds me of the Ron Capps incident when they used a rag to tie off a leak a few races back os something like that.... and our fabulous NHRA starting line tech officials "never saw it".

But really, what can they do to him - especially for a qualifying run? I'm sure it would be another story if it happened during eliminations. Oh well. Today's race day... time to shake what your momma gave ya~

What would Connie Do?

Gee, this reminds me of the Ron Capps incident when they used a rag to tie off a leak a few races back os something like that.... and our fabulous NHRA starting line tech officials "never saw it".

But really, what can they do to him - especially for a qualifying run? I'm sure it would be another story if it happened during eliminations. Oh well. Today's race day... time to shake what your momma gave ya~

How about Conrad getting shut off at Indy?, jumping out of the car and throwing his helmet, then going nose to nose with Buster...

Starter tells you to shut off, you shut off... it should cost them points and Bucks... one of those NASCAR type fines... and this is coming from an AJ fan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back