JUSTIN ASHLEY DOMINATES TEXAS NHRA FALL NATIONALS (1 Viewer)

Ashley logo.jpg

JUSTIN ASHLEY DOMINATES TEXAS NHRA FALL NATIONALS
ENNIS, TX (October 10, 2021) --- Countdown driver Justin Ashley won the Texas NHRA Fall Nationals today in dominant fashion. Ashley and the Smart Sanitizer Top Fuel dragster powered by Vita C Shot made a serious move up the Camping World Top Fuel point standings, moving from fifth to third in the process. The second-year driver won for the first time in 2021 in his third final round appearance defeating Keith Murt, Billy Torrence, Brittany Force and Steve Torrence to secure his second career Top Fuel victory.

Ashley 21.jpg

Justin Ashley, 2021 Texas NHRA Fall Nationals Top Fuel winner (photo credit Ron Lewis Photography)
“I think when you win a race like this the key to victory is the team effort and the fact that everybody did their job,” said Ashley, the 2020 NHRA Rookie of the Year. “Today was a complete team effort. I did my job behind the wheel. Crew Chief Mike Green did an awesome job tuning this race car all weekend. It felt like a bracket car. The key to the win was this group of guys and the leadership of (team owner) Dustin Davis and Mike. They work incredibly hard. They definitely deserve this win.”
Ashley, the No. 4 qualifier, started his race day with a win over No. 13 qualifier Keith Murt. The round win was never in jeopardy as he took the lead off the starting line and never trailed getting to the finish line first with a 3.748 second pass at 319.29 mph. This win set the tone for a long day of success behind the wheel.

Ashley 22.jpg

Justin Ashley and the Smart Sanitizer Top Fuel powered by Vita C Shot team (photo credit Ron Lewis Photography)

In the second round Ashley squared off with Billy Torrence in a rematch of the Reading Nationals final from two weeks ago that did not go Ashley’s way. Today Ashley got the jump off the starting line, .039 to .091 reaction time advantage which was enough to get the Smart Sanitizer Top Fuel dragster out front and to the finish line stripe in front of Torrence. His slower elapsed time of 3.755 seconds outpaced Torrence’s 3.749 seconds for a hole shot win.
“For me the thought was unfinished business,” said Ashley, who has two runner-up finishes in 2021. “We had unfinished business to take care of this weekend. I knew that we were long overdue. This just felt so good because we were so close a few times and we finally sealed the deal. I wanted to finish it off for my guys and our sponsors. That is how you get it done and put on a great show for the fans.”
In the semifinals racing the 2017 Top Fuel champion Brittany Force, Ashley once again proved his mettle on the starting line with another hole shot win. His .061 to Brittany’s .081 put him in position to take his 3.740 second run to the final round instead of Force’s 3.727 second run. The two round wins on the strength of Ashley’s reaction time combined with the consistency of Green’s tune-up set up a final round against the points leader Steve Torrence.
“These round wins were so rewarding,” said Ashley, the 2020 Summernationals winner. “The Countdown is about one thing and that is getting hot at the right time. Obviously, the regular season is huge and meaningful, and you want to set yourself up for success. Once you are in the Countdown all bets are off. That is when the best teams in the world step up. It is really satisfying to step up and get hot at the right time.”

Ashley 23.jpg

Final round Ashley versus S. Torrence (photo credit Ron Lewis Photography)
Both Top Fuel final round participants had two of the most consistent race cars on the property throughout the day. In a final for the ages Ashley and Torrence had identical reaction times and Ashley picked up his first win of the 2021 season with a winning 3.759 second run to Torrence’s 3.764.
“There is no intimidation factor for me when I race Steve,” said Ashley. “There is a respect factor. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Steve and Billy and that whole Capco team. They have developed a winning culture over there. They know how to win and that is not an easy thing to do especially at this level.”
The success of the Smart Sanitizer Top Fuel dragster that is also backed by KATO Fastening Systems and Auto Shocker jumped him from fifth to third place in the point standings and inserted him into the championship conversation with three playoff races remaining.
“It is satisfying to throw our name into the championship mix. We are happy that we did it. We can’t control what Steve or Brittany or any of the other Top Fuel teams are doing. They are all in the Top Ten for a reason. They are all great drivers. We are happy for us because it puts us right back in the middle of things. Next weekend is Bristol. That will be a huge race,” added Ashley.

Qualifying Results
Q1: 3.809 sec, 304.67 mph; Qual. 6
Q2: 3.687 sec., 329.58 mph; Qual. 4
Q3: 3.772 sec, 324.20 mph; Qual 4
Q4: 3.783 sec., 324.36 mph; Qual. 4
Bonus Points: +2 (2nd quickest in Q3

Race Results
First Round

Driver Qual R/T ET MPH
Justin Ashley 4 .061 3.748 319.29 (W)
Keith Murt 13 .091 3.862 311.85
Second Round
Driver Qual R/T ET MPH
Justin Ashley 4 .039 3.755 324.75 (W)
Billy Torrence 5 .091 3.749 328.86
Semifinal Round
Driver Qual R/T ET MPH
Justin Ashley 4 .061 3.740 325.30 (W)
Brittany Force 1 .081 3.727 332.84
Final Round
Driver Qual R/T ET MPH
Justin Ashley 4 .035 3.759 326.40 (W)
Steve Torrence 2 .035 3.764 321.81
Camping World Drag Racing Series Countdown Top Ten - Top Fuel
1. Steve Torrence 2473
2. Brittany Force 2421
3. Justin Ashley 2352
4. Mike Salinas 2305
5. Billy Torrence 2301
6. Leah Pruett 2255
7. Antron Brown 2221
8. Clay Millican 2212
9. Shawn Langdon 2196
10. Doug Kalitta 2148

About Justin Ashley Racing
Justin Ashley Racing in partnership with Davis Motorsports fields the Smart Sanitizer Top Fuel dragster powered by Strutmasters.com in the NHRA Camping World Drag Racing Series. During his Top Fuel rookie season in 2020 Justin won the NHRA Summernationals, finished in the Top Ten and was recognized as the 2020 NHRA Rookie of the Year. Prior to his professional debut Ashley has three wins in Top Alcohol Dragster on the Lucas Oil Series. He is the son of multi-time NHRA national event winner Mike Ashley. In 2017, he was named to the Drag Illustrated magazine’s 30 under 30 list, highlighting some of racing’s most promising young individuals on and off the racetrack. When he’s not racing, Ashley serves as President of Ashley Developers, a real estate investment organization dedicated to the rehabilitation of distressed properties. To learn more about Justin Ashley Racing, visit JustinAshley.com.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back