Just give it a little more speed, Mike... (2 Viewers)

Randy

Nitro Member
Hey Larry 🤠 , do you remember who this was?

1727059849694.png

This happened more than once. One time, the push truck for Warren-Coburn-Miller ran over the front of another T/F. WCM won the race, gave the $$ to the team. BTW, could that photo above be Dwight Salisbury? Blue & yellow car, kinda sorta looks like it.

No Randy not that one but it did happen many times in the early years. Push starting scared the hell out of a lot of new people in the push trucks. I liked push starting two for one rushes in one run.
Larry Sutton---🤠

BTW; Randy I hope to see you at the CHRR next month. It will be my last trip to Calif. and my last time going to a drag race. (68 years)

Last edited:
No Randy not that one but it did happen many times in the early years. Push starting scared the hell out of a lot of new people in the push trucks. I liked push starting two for one rushes in one run.
Larry Sutton---🤠

BTW; Randy I hope to see you at the CHRR next month. It will be my last trip to Calif. and my last time going to a drag race. (68 years)
In the mid ‘70s, at Carlisle Drag-O-Way in east-central Arkansas, (where Dave McClelland got his start announcing) Don Garlits and Tommy Ivo came in for a 2 of 3 match race.
Myself and a buddy were standing at Ivo’s transporter when Ivo came up to us and asked if we could help work on his car, because only Ivo’s wife was with him.
Naturally, we jumped at the opportunity.
Once it came time for the race my buddy and I stood up in the back of the pickup while Ivo’s wife drove the truck to push start the dragster, since that was the time before blower mounted starters.
Besides being a major adrenaline rush, as the truck started gathering speed, we had to duck down behind the cab because the slicks were picking up every little pebble and slinging them up and over the truck and pelting us.
All those little nicks were worth it though due to the very unique vantage point afforded us.

In the mid ‘70s, at Carlisle Drag-O-Way in east-central Arkansas, (where Dave McClelland got his start announcing) Don Garlits and Tommy Ivo came in for a 2 of 3 match race.
Myself and a buddy were standing at Ivo’s transporter when Ivo came up to us and asked if we could help work on his car, because only Ivo’s wife was with him.
Once it came time for the race my buddy and I stood up in the back of the pickup while Ivo’s wife drove the truck to push start the dragster, since that was the time before blower mounted starters.
Besides being a major adrenaline rush, as the truck started gathering speed, my buddy and I had to duck down behind the cab because the slicks were picking up every little pebble and slinging them up and over the truck and pelting us.
All those little nicks were worth it though due to the very unique vantage point afforded us.
I loved binging push started 😎

Besides being a major adrenaline rush, as the truck started gathering speed, we had to duck down behind the cab because the slicks were picking up every little pebble and slinging them up and over the truck and pelting us.
Ted, what a great time that had to be! Did you know that Ivo married his wife Inez twice.
Speaking of Ivo, he has a fantastic website. Check it out, if you want to kill a few minutes.

Ted, still looking for new info and pictures on Gary. Hope Gary is doing well.

Push starting AA/FD, was a big part of the show, when I was a kid.
I think Gerry "The Hunter" Glenn did the driving in the movie?
Probably wrong again, oh well, I'm a newbie.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back