JR Todd's front wing (1 Viewer)

lmhb oyf

Nitro Member
I know it was brought up 5 or 6 races ago but I still notice an excessive amount of oscillation with JR's front wing.

I vaguely remember someone on here stating that they were to install a new bracket to eliminate that back then but it still seems to be happening.

Obviously it's not a huge issue but what gives?

I know it was brought up 5 or 6 races ago but I still notice an excessive amount of oscillation with JR's front wing.

I vaguely remember someone on here stating that they were to install a new bracket to eliminate that back then but it still seems to be happening.

Obviously it's not a huge issue but what gives?

..... until is breaks.......

I noticed that both Dexter Tuttle cars were doing it.

Yeah I noticed it hadn't gone away yet too... but he (JR) keeps doin' well & apparently they're using the same set-up on Steve-O's car, so they must trust it.

Any further updates on this? The last race I saw super-slo-mo of JR's pass scared the bejezus out of me thinking about the potential disaster if that wing went away.. Does anyone know how his wing differs in its mounting/ structural composition than those of, say, Shoe or Doug K.? They seem to be the same style of layout (giant wing panel stuck on the nose piece; pipe sleeving into frame rails?)... Is it the size, endplates or composition material that causes the deflection?

Any further updates on this? The last race I saw super-slo-mo of JR's pass scared the bejezus out of me thinking about the potential disaster if that wing went away.. Does anyone know how his wing differs in its mounting/ structural composition than those of, say, Shoe or Doug K.? They seem to be the same style of layout (giant wing panel stuck on the nose piece; pipe sleeving into frame rails?)... Is it the size, endplates or composition material that causes the deflection?

SAY WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Martin - some very perceptive questions! Kalitta teams use Attac chassis - the last time I saw the cars, Hillary's had a one piece body with "slider" mounts. Doug and David's cars had conventional multi-piece bodies. Unfortunately, I don't remember if the front wings were also different.
Dexter's teams (J.R. and Steve) use Hadman chassis, which are also used by both DSR teams. Obviously, something is different on the Tuttle Motorsports cars. Fortunately, the sponsor of the Tuttle cars still posts here so . . . Evan if you see this, could you give us some info?
This is the type of thread that used to make the site interesting - until we stopped hearing from team members and owners about technical issues.

Martin - some very perceptive questions! Kalitta teams use Attac chassis - the last time I saw the cars, Hillary's had a one piece body with "slider" mounts. Doug and David's cars had conventional multi-piece bodies. Unfortunately, I don't remember if the front wings were also different.
Dexter's teams (J.R. and Steve) use Hadman chassis, which are also used by both DSR teams. Obviously, something is different on the Tuttle Motorsports cars. Fortunately, the sponsor of the Tuttle cars still posts here so . . . Evan if you see this, could you give us some info?
This is the type of thread that used to make the site interesting - until we stopped hearing from team members and owners about technical issues.

I have no idea but they must of found something down track with it and its working but i need to ask Dexter. I have seen it myself and said o lord that dont look to good i will try to find out. Thanks Evan.

Wouldn't you love to see a wind tunnel test with that?

It'd be interesting to see what the air does in relation to the front down force and then the subsequent outflow of dirty air along with the rest of the aerodynamic effect behind it.

Thanks for the hit Evan. That's what makes this place cool..:cool:

With all the fluxuation taking place, J.R. has got to feel like a pilot blasting thru a jet wash for the seconds that it occurs. What's his take on all that shakin goin on? Or is the rush of the pass so great that is unnoticed?

One difference is the Hadman cars use a 2" mounting center on the front wing and McKinney and I beleive Attac use 4" centers for more torsional rigidity. That being said, I haven't noticed it on any car except JR's. I hope they look into it, very scary especially now that the mounts are fatigued in that nose. bOb

One difference is the Hadman cars use a 2" mounting center on the front wing and McKinney and I beleive Attac use 4" centers for more torsional rigidity. That being said, I haven't noticed it on any car except JR's. I hope they look into it, very scary especially now that the mounts are fatigued in that nose. bOb

Well - if this isn't a problem (which is hard to believe), it's still going on!
Front wing on Steve's car was flopping like a fish on the final round.
VERY, VERY strange!

Well as a manufacturer I can tell everyone that getting a crew chief to change ANYTHING that is working for them is next to impossible.

If it is obviously safety then naturally they will change but unless a higher authority dictates a change it is probably not going to happen.

Didn't notice JR's pass, but Steve's was insane... Endplates smackin the track CAN NOT BE GOOD (unless they're catchin the beams at the top end- I hope that its not about that..).

Hate to point out one single manufacturer, but some folks should be making reservations on the jig come monday. Please.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back