John Force Question (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Did John Force ever drive for Joe Davis? Maybe at Lions? This is a story I just heard from an "unnamed source".

I think I saw the Colt 45 run. I think it had been an altered before they put the Mustang body on it. I have a friend in Oregon who crewed for Wild Willy Borsch at one time. He heard that John Force drove for Davis at Lions, maybe only once. Dunno if it was this car. I know that Force drove the Night Stalker back motor Mustang F/C, which was built by Jack Chrisman. Had a sidewinder SOHC Ford, but Chrisman never drove the car. Force got it and Larry Sutton banned him from Irwindale cuz the car broke all the time. I think Larry got whammed with a piece of broken chain from Force's car.

I think I saw the Colt 45 run. I think it had been an altered before they put the Mustang body on it. I have a friend in Oregon who crewed for Wild Willy Borsch at one time. He heard that John Force drove for Davis at Lions, maybe only once. Dunno if it was this car. I know that Force drove the Night Stalker back motor Mustang F/C, which was built by Jack Chrisman. Had a sidewinder SOHC Ford, but Chrisman never drove the car. Force got it and Larry Sutton banned him from Irwindale cuz the car broke all the time. I think Larry got whammed with a piece of broken chain from Force's car.
I vaguely remember that...Larry can fill us in....:D

I read where Force reportedly drove an ex-Steve Bovan funny car for a period of time (before the chain slinger) but I have no idea who the owner was or the brand of the car.

Number one force said he drove the Steve Bovan blown Nova. I never saw him drive that car, even though I started it many times and only Steve was driving it. Number two Yes john threw the chains at me a few times, but is was that Johns driving in general that I band my now good friend John from all west cost tracks. He hit everything but the TOWER. I told him go some where and learn how to drive, he did and went to Australia and drove for his uncle Beaver. that is now the famous comment "I HAVE BEEN ON FIRE FROM HEAR TO AUSTRALIA"
Larry Sutton---Lions starter🤠

Larry, you should write a book about all you've done in drag racing. Maybe call it "Almos' got kilt on the startin' line" or something like that. I was looking at a photo of you as starter at Irwindale. Garlits was there, maybe a match race? Anyhoo, the right lane was bad and you told Garlits to shut it off. Naw, he ain't gonna do it. So you put a fire extinguisher in front of the car and then he shut off. I was there and remember that. Garlits not too happy & neither were you. heh

I am sorry Cliff, I will never right a book of my years in drag racing. I did not start races to make money or drive for the same reason . some right books to make money, not my deal. I had many broken bones an steel plates in my body from starting. I did it for the love of the sport and the love of all racers in our sport. I am so proud that I was able to save some drivers an others so they could live a full life. the broke bones don't mean **** when I have so many great memories.
Larry Sutton---🤠

Larry, you should write a book about all you've done in drag racing. Maybe call it "Almos' got kilt on the startin' line" or something like that. I was looking at a photo of you as starter at Irwindale. Garlits was there, maybe a match race? Anyhoo, the right lane was bad and you told Garlits to shut it off. Naw, he ain't gonna do it. So you put a fire extinguisher in front of the car and then he shut off. I was there and remember that. Garlits not too happy & neither were you. heh
I saw Larry do a similar thing at OCIR when the Snake wouldn't shut his car off, so he thew a mop in front of the car. Decades later I heard on Competition Plus Story Tellers that after Prudhomme got out of the car he thanked Larry for doing that.

I am sorry Cliff, I will never right a book of my years in drag racing. I did not start races to make money or drive for the same reason . some right books to make money, not my deal. I had many broken bones an steel plates in my body from starting. I did it for the love of the sport and the love of all racers in our sport. I am so proud that I was able to save some drivers an others so they could live a full life. the broke bones don't mean **** when I have so many great memories.
Larry Sutton---🤠
Donate the money Larry (DRAW would be nice). I know there are many people that would love to hear your stories from back in the day. I know I would!!

Donate the money Larry (DRAW would be nice). I know there are many people that would love to hear your stories from back in the day. I know I would!!
Guys
Thank you for your thoughts about me writing a book. I think I have more stories then anyone else that I can think of, because of all of the years I have been in drag racing. working at Lions where so many of the racers in the early years raced there every weekend and became the legends of our sport there is a story about all most everyone of them. if I wrote a book there would be good stories, bad stories, funny stories and stories that would make everyone cry. I have cried at times thinking about some of them. so bottom line I think I will just take them with me to the BIG drag strip in the sky because many of the stories would bring back to many of the bad memories and I would just like to remember the good ones.
Thank You
Larry Sutton---🤠

Last edited:
Larry Sutton---🤠
Larry, I understand your reasoning, but having a record of your experiences would be a historical document for our sport and not a profit-making endeavor. No flattery intended, but there are few among us that have been a firsthand part of of so much drag racing history as yourself. I have grandparents (no longer with us) who fought in WW2 and escaped from the former East Germany. I was too dumb and self absorbed when I was younger to ever ask them about their experiences. As I matured (barely, lol) I became a student of history and now kick myself for never talking to them about it. What a missed opportunity, and think of the stories lost forever.

I don’t know Larry but have great respect for his position on writing a book and certainly his contribution to the sport. But add me to the list of those who wish we could hear more of his experiences. Maybe talk him into a blog with a weekly or monthly story. Easy to spread that to the masses. So, no pressure, just happy birthday!

I don’t know Larry but have great respect for his position on writing a book and certainly his contribution to the sport. But add me to the list of those who wish we could hear more of his experiences. Maybe talk him into a blog with a weekly or monthly story. Easy to spread that to the masses. So, no pressure, just happy birthday!
Start one here!!

langdon and JR should revamp the nomex effect just for a multi-part series w/larry ...... see larry, you don't have to write a book, just swap some great
stories with a couple drag racers who used to have a pretty entertaining side show.

I can at least say I saw Larry Sutton at Lions back in the late 60s when I was visiting my grandmother who lived in Simi Valley. I didn't recognize him for who he was back then...most of my younger racing days were spent at Green Valley in Ft. Worth....but I vividly recall the famous cars that before my trip I'd only read about in magazines. I'll never forget the experience.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back