John Andretti Passed (1 Viewer)

John Andretti, the versatile racer who waged a public battle with colon cancer, has died at age 56,
That's too F-ing young. I always liked John - He seemed to have his head on straight.
Didn't see it mentioned but didn't he win or runner-up at Memphis? One of his first (of few outings) with NHRA?

That's too F-ing young. I always liked John - He seemed to have his head on straight.
Didn't see it mentioned but didn't he win or runner-up at Memphis? One of his first (of few outings) with NHRA?

Jim, you're right. 56 is too young. Andretti was quoted saying he always forgot to get a colonoscopy.
I hope those of us who are over age 50 get their colonoscopies. My wife was a long time chemo nurse. She made sure I get mine when I need to. They're no fun but go a long way in helping avoid problems later down the road.

I used to watch a NASCAR show called ‘Inside Winston Cup’, a non-scripted, freewheeling, panel-discussion show featuring (usually) Ken Schrader, Michael Waltrip, and Johnny Benson. One week, the guest was John Andretti. Andretti had driven every imaginable type of race car, but the panel members just wanted to talk about the Top Fuel ride.

Rest in Peace, John Andretti

Andretti was quoted saying he always forgot to get a colonoscopy.
I hope those of us who are over age 50 get their colonoscopies.

Jesus!! I admit, the scope is no fun - Actually, it's the prep that sucks but, it's a small price to pay. Generally speaking, the stuff that's found with the scope are effectivily (and easily) treated

I did see him run at (then) Firebird. Thought it was so cool to see an Indy driver in a T/F car. Sigh

John drove for former MLB player Jack Clark in 1993. The Taco Bell Fuel Dragster
The Goo$e would drive for Jack in 1994. The Mobile One Top Fuel car.

Jim, you're right. 56 is too young. Andretti was quoted saying he always forgot to get a colonoscopy.
I hope those of us who are over age 50 get their colonoscopies. My wife was a long time chemo nurse. She made sure I get mine when I need to. They're no fun but go a long way in helping avoid problems later down the road.

My wife worked as a surgical nurse but for some reason she refused to get a colonoscopy. She was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer on May 11, 2015, with extensive liver mets. She died September 26, 2018.

As already noted, the actual colonoscopy is a piece of cake, but the prep the day before sucks big time, however it's a small price to pay. Early detection of cancer is key. Get a colonoscopy if you haven't already done so.

John drove for former MLB player Jack Clark in 1993. The Taco Bell Fuel Dragster
The Goo$e would drive for Jack in 1994. The Mobile One Top Fuel car.

The Mobil One car with Tom driving was 1991. The Ace and Clark would steer the Taco Bell car in 94/95.

Not to go off track but, what good is life when the body outlives the brain. I've lost my Dad, Mother-in-law, a close friend and
we have lost many racers, due to Alzheimer's. That's the reason for me to make the choice of NOT getting a Colonoscopy.
I believe in quality of life not quantity of yrs. When the end comes it comes, No Chemotherapy. I have a living will and a DNR.
My wife a retired RN who has the same belief as I.

John was one of the guys I really enjoyed watching race. He really seemed to love to drive cars, regardless of what it was. As for the do or don't on the colonoscopy, anyone who tells you how horrible it is must have a low tolerance for discomfort. Step one-drink stuff that makes you poop. Step 2 through 15, poop. Get something to read while you're on the throne and calm down, you're not required to do long division for Pete's sake, it's just waiting. The absolute worst part is them putting the IV in your arm. You think you got it bad, one of my high school friends and former drinking buddies was an OR nurse (yes male) when I had mine. You want one of your friends on camera duty during that? Seriously though, it's easy and can make the difference between living and dying young. They don't even do them after age 70 because the cancer grows so slow something else will get you after that.

I really liked John Andretti too. He won a Cup race in Petty's #43 STP car. He was the first guy to do the Indy 500/World 600 Double. On top of all that, he drove Top Fuel for a while! Away from the track, he was as nice as you could be. We need more John Andrettis in this World, it would be a better place.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back