Jim Head Racing / Maple Grove. (1 Viewer)

perhaps, in this wave of downsizing, NHRA can no longer support 2 'Headline acts IE. TF & FC. Dare i say, it is time to consider consolidation. Can the dragsters be slowed another 2 tenths for the sake of keeping both classes and maintaining equal performance
What would you eliminate ? Top Fuel or Funny Car? Either one being eliminated would kill spectator interest faster than going to 500 ft racing would

What would you eliminate ? Top Fuel or Funny Car? Either one being eliminated would kill spectator interest faster than going to 500 ft racing would
This is an interesting dilemma, I think that Funny Car may eliminate itself. The Challenger halts production next year, and rumor is that the Camaro is right behind it. Are the car companies going to put electric vehicle bodies on a FC, I don't see that happening. This is also going to be a problem for Pro Stock, Factory Stock and the new FX class.

I just skipped ahead to respond to this without reading all six pages of posts so I apologize in advance if anyone has already said these things.

I don't know Jim Head personally. I do enjoying seeing his private jet parked at Brackett Field from the fairways at Mountain Meadows when playing the Racer's For Christ Golf Tournaments the Wednesday before the Finals at Pomona. This year it's November 9th.

At any rate, I look at Head's operation like this, especially after the recent devastating loss he and his team experienced with the tragic death of a crewmember and loss of his entire rig in a highway accident.:

Jim has unbelievable stamina. He has been racing on his own dime for years. While many are passionate about camping or fishing or riding motorcycles, Jim likes his funny cars. It's likely his break from business. And in his "hobby", considering he's fresh off of the loss I mentioned above, he's come back with his team and made the countdown. I think that's pretty remarkable. And very impressive. I applaud him for that.

No one knows Jim's business but Jim, but I would venture a guess that people worried about Jim's crew not getting paid for the weekend probably shouldn't. I'm sure Jim takes care of his staff. Can't say for sure, sure. But loyalty goes both ways.

To basically say NHRA should demand 16 car fields is almost laughable. NHRA owns the lake but doesn't have any boats. They depend on the racers. To race at the professional level is mind numbingly expensive to the average "Jim." I applaud Jim for pulling in the pits year after year, especially considering what other options there are for a guy spending that kind of money on his "hobby". To be fully funded with sponsorship in this sport is extremely rare. And people who put an operation together in hopes of finding funding to actually be considered a pro (fielding a competitive operation and making a living from it ) know the odds are not in their favor. Jim is very fortunate. He gets to go play without reporting to a board of directors on Monday morning to explain how he did each and every weekend at the races. He's living the dream, not having to worry about some soccer team swiping his funding next year.

I think you would be surprised to find out exactly how many sponsored looking "Pro" teams are actually fully funded. In many cases it's only because they own a successful business or are funded by friends who own successful businesses who want to be involved that makes them fully funded. I'm thinking of guys who own or are friends of people who own air cargo businesses, cattle ranches, technology solutions companies, etc. While we are thankful they are there, don't marginalize the teams that (in John Lombardo Jr's words) are "pedaling as fast as they can" to look to fund these things. Missing races is the only way some can complete a season.

One person's post in this thread almost seems to say "part timers' have no business in a professional sport. I'm not going to name names (he knows who he is), but several of todays past and present "Pros" started out with a dream. They worked hard. People saw this in them and gave them a chance. They drove either their own cars or another's "part time" race car. Their talent was observed by people capable of offering them true pro potential (legends in the sport, in m any cases), and up the ladder they went. And now here they are. World Champions. They got their shot at the dream.

Jim Head, as a former driver himself, can tap into his own personal experience driving his cars when communicating with his current driver(s). He sees something in them, and has given drivers the opportunity to showcase their talents, giving them the potential for an impressive resume for the future if they desire it. How many people are there like Jim with enough resources, who can put a someone in a competitive funny car, that don't have to answer to anyone but himself, and provide an opportunity like this for someone?

Like I said, I don't know Jim personally. Having said that, I firmly believe one day Jim will decide he's done. But the things he's done for funny car, especially as an independent, will last well beyond his years. Fans should be thankful, Italy or not.

back in the 'RUMBLINGS' thread, i posted about blake getting into C and jim's italy trip. it was sept. 8th, 2022, post #96 on page 5 of the thread.
there were two responses, neither derogatory towards any one individual or team :rolleyes:

I believe Head realized he was single-handedly destroying the sport of drag racing and signed up before he did any more damage.
I believe Head realized he was single-handedly destroying the sport of drag racing and signed up before he did any more damage.
I would doubt that very much. Jim is going to race when and where he wants. Him single-handedly destroying drag racing gave me the biggest laugh I have had in years. I didn't realize he had that kind of power.

This is an interesting dilemma, I think that Funny Car may eliminate itself. The Challenger halts production next year, and rumor is that the Camaro is right behind it. Are the car companies going to put electric vehicle bodies on a FC, I don't see that happening. This is also going to be a problem for Pro Stock, Factory Stock and the new FX class.
The Challenger, per se, is not going away just yet. Mopar, er Stellantis, is bringing out an electric Challenger for 2024, along with an inline, twin turbo, 6 cylinder.

The Challenger, per se, is not going away just yet. Mopar, er Stellantis, is bringing out an electric Challenger for 2024, along with an inline, twin turbo, 6 cylinder.
That article is as clear as mud, one point it states the straight 6 engine, then last sentense, Q, - Are they going to stop making Challengers in 2023, A.- Dodge will discotinue Challenger and Charger products in 2023.

Terry, you missed the sarcasim. It was meant to be a joke.
Sorry Gino, I agree with you. Jim Head is a great person for the sport. There aren't many pro racers who can say what they really feel and not have repercussions. Another great one who let you know how he really felt was Warren Johnson. Always liked his interviews.

Professional sports teams. I referring to stick and ball teams. Professional? Like the players who "take a knee" to protest law enforcement? Like the players who have "black lives matter" on their shirts? Or the hoop ball players who support the chinese with their slave labor camps making sneakers? Those professionals?

suddenly i'm recalling an 80's t-shirt
LOL, if it is the t-shirt I'm recalling. I got it at the 1987 Winternationals. Got a new one at Seattle in
2018 when Jonnie Linberg was in the seat. Jim still has the shirts for sale. At Seattle this year they
had them. And thank you Jim and Blake for coming to Seattle this year!!!

1663784309171.png

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back