Jim Head....OUCH (1 Viewer)

Just Paul

Nitro Member
Jim did a little more then take out the cones.. That was quite a shot into the wall too. He said he lost the steering. If you look at the finish line cam, I could see sparks coming from under the car as he was hitting the blocks.

I'm glad Jim is OK and seems to be in pretty good spirits.

Please tell me that beautiful blue Toyota body was spared from the trash can!!!

It got whacked pretty good. Big hole punched in on the front right from the cones and then a pretty good smack into the wall with the right side as well.

Looked like when they tried to lift the body the whole front wanted to lift like a hood.

I would say the body is junk. Nose is screwed (not a big deal) but the entire right side of the car slammed the wall and pretty much totally flattend it out. They had to use a pry bar to get it off the crushed headers.

Paul,

You mentioned the finish line cam, is the race on ESPN2 today? :)

Edit: Never mind, I just noticed the "Race on ESPN2 Now!!!" thread.

Last edited:
I hate to say this because I've been a Fan of Jim Head since he started racing ( I even have 2 "original" Give Me HEAD Till I'm Dead" T shirts.. but in the TV interview.. he looks like he gained 40+ lb ... I guess we're all human and that comes with age :(
Except for Eddie Hill... :D

And he didn't have any kind words for Maple Grove either....

Scroll down: Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - NHRA TOYO TIRES NATIONALS - EVENT NOTEBOOK

Glad he's ok...

Not trying to start a pole cat pissing match because these are my opinions.I'm not taking up for the track even though I understand Jim Head's comments about Maple Grove, but I do disagree with him calling Maple Grove takers. I know there are much nicer facilities than MG, but having attending this event every year since the first in 1985, all I have seen is MG make what seems to be yearly upgrades to the place. The problem with pit parking is the multi-car teams with "technology centers", motorhomes, and hospitality rigs all parked in the pit area. The midway and fan activities in the pit area has grown. I've watched MG change the pro pit parking plan several times over the last 22 years. If it weren't for all the other stuff besides the race team rigs, the track would have room to park every top 10 pro team on the pavement. Now, the Pro Stock teams are parked where the END of where the alcohol and comp eliminator teams used to park at which is past the finish line. Plenty of alky teams were parked near the scales! The facility only has so much real estate at their disposal. Head was talking about his diver laying on the grass : I watched Bob Glidden take a shop broom in 1995 or 1996 sweep all the rocks out of the way so he could lay on dirt to work on his car.

The pit area there has always been crowded, and I think we've all seen our share of idiots in the pits like the one Head wanted to punch out. I only make the MG event, so are there worse tracks that Jim Head could compain about ? I expect MG to have more pavement in the pit area next year.

There have been a lot of threads on here about the "biz" side of drag racing, and budgets and so forth. I think Jim's interview is really a good represenation of what's going on out there. Many, many teams starving trying to stay in the game. I think that whoever has the power to add more events better focus first on having the series make more economic sense to the teams. And, not that I care, but it doesn't really look to me that Head has gained that kind of weight---but they say the camera adds weight!

its touchy when head and others talk about not wanting more events. nhra is thinking of it as expanding, and bringing in more fans and revenue now that there are new owners. i wonder how the new owners think when they hear racers saying they want less events. looking at both sides, it looks like those independent teams or teams that want less events should get better sponsors with more money. less events and NO new sponsors will get into our sports. lets face it nascar has 46 races and i dont hear them complaining of too many events. more events, means more fans, sponsors ect ect less means less its a viciuos cycle.

lets face it nascar has 46 races and i dont hear them complaining of too many events. more events, means more fans, sponsors ect ect less means less its a viciuos cycle.

NASCAR runs 36 races (26 reg + 10 Chase) and the drivers all complain the season is too long. Then again, they are ALL millionaires. Can't say that about the NHRA drivers, can you?
Kasey Kahne: "You get lucky or you don't get lucky, you never know. I don't care if it goes green and we get to lap 100 and it starts pouring again. Nobody wants to come back in November. Our season is long enough."

NASCAR.COM - Michigan rain underscores NASCAR's inflexibility - Aug 20, 2007

You should hear the plans in the future for the sportsman classes with the new owners oh my :(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back