Jim Dunn Racing - Special Paint for Indy! (1 Viewer)

Looks like an old Skoal body.

BINGO!

I'm assuming it is one of Snake's old TJ bodies.

special_skoal.jpg

SalmonCarIndy.jpg

tjohnson.jpg

No, no...Big Jim's wrap is completely different. There's no TORCO logo on the quarter panel. :)

I still think it looks cool, though. One of my favorite parts (of many) of Indy is the special wraps. Very cool!

........JD has been at this sport a long time, I wish him well at Indy.

me too - wasn't too many years ago he, frank and penthouse swept em'
in the shootout........kenji went far one year too if memory is correct?
(semi's or final?)
big jim can turn the right screws if he feels like gambling with inventory.

Wow, never thought I'd see the day when a special wrap was admired, or in this case a used body still sporting it's old colors. Skoal design was pretty cool, but looks weird with Lucas and Canidae logos emblazoned all over it. What's worse is they're trying to push this by calling it a "special scheme". Wraps have their place, but nothing replaces an awesome paint job. Good luck replicating a candy apple or pearlescent finish on vinyl.

Wow, never thought I'd see the day when a special wrap was admired, or in this case a used body still sporting it's old colors. Skoal design was pretty cool, but looks weird with Lucas and Canidae logos emblazoned all over it. What's worse is they're trying to push this by calling it a "special scheme". Wraps have their place, but nothing replaces an awesome paint job. Good luck replicating a candy apple or pearlescent finish on vinyl.

The problem with special paint jobs is:

Body prep is expensive and time consuming.

Paint quality due to the EPA is not like it used to be.

$12,000 to $15,000 for a one time use paint job is rediculous. With the schedule the teams run it would be impossible to keep a nice paint job on a funny car anyway. In the past when a buck was a buck we spent upwards of $10,000 for paint jobs on our TA/FC with candies and fades and all only to see all the hard work ruined on the first run when we banged the blower, shook hard enough to crack the body or ran over something on the track. Never again.

Super comp, super gas and comp cars have some of the prettiest paint jobs you'll ever see. For them it can be justified as the paint will last for several years.

RG

I understand the reasons why teams use wraps. They have their advantages over paint in a variety of ways. Also, I can empathize with seeing a $10k paint job go down the tube from an accident. I still remember watching Joe Pisano's Olds at Pomona going up in flames thinking that was a beautiful race car, after the driver was given the a okay. I guess my issue is with the term special wrap, it just sounds akward. Almost like it should be on the Taco Bell menu, should've been more clear about that in my earlier post.

Interesting how this "new" paint scheme was nowhere to be seen. The car was it's usual green and white all weekend.

After the Snake read this thread and knew their cover was blown, he declined to sell the body............:cool:

I didn't think big Jim Dunn would be the kind to go and not follow through with a "special paint scheme " once it has been announced ,seems like that would kinda be hard to explain to sponsors, my bet is it shows up in Charlotte

I gotta say, whoever does the designs and wraps for JDR has to be one of the most busiest guy/gal out there. I like this one.

I gotta say, whoever does the designs and wraps for JDR has to be one of the most busiest guy/gal out there. I like this one.

Very well done, great layout and color work👍

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back