Jim Diest Passes (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
I just read on another board that safety equipment veteran Jim Diest has passed away. RIP Jim.

Sad news. Jim should be, and is... revered as one of the greats of the sport. He's helped save alot of lives and his efforts will continue to impact the sport for generations to come.

Man I remember when we sand dragged out there in the early to mid seventies taking our drivers fire suit to have Diest clean it for us every other week. I don't know why as a young kid I always looked forward to going with my mom to pick it up..........lol.

R.I.P Mr Diest

How can this not be on NHRA...and the rest of the sites? That is sad.

Jim Deist is/was a hero and a legend. He saved lives and prevented countless injuries with his equipment. If you were ever on fire you wanted his equipment. If you ever crashed hard you thanked his belts and restraints.

There is a reason stunt people use/d his stuff. There is a reason racers use/d Deist. There is a reason he was/is still in business after all these years. It worked. And he stood behind every product he ever sold.

We proved a few times that the fire equipment and chutes worked. Well the driver did it is always their fault. (they never know when to shut it off. lol.) I think Gordon Mineo kept him in coveralls and cigars for life with all the junk he burned down and crispy fire suits he turned in.

He was the nicest person as well one hell of a smart and very ingenius man. If they didn't make it he did.

Genuine. Cigar and coveralls driving the Ford van with the lovely wife always riding shotgun. Always a nod with a wink and the corner of the mouth smile (didn't want to lose the cigar).

This news is just sad. People like Jim Deist are just not supposed to die.

Rest in peace old friend and thanks for doing what you did for all of us. It was my exteme honor and pleasure to have known you. You will always be a hero in my book.

God Speed and Rest Peacefully.

How can this not be on NHRA...and the rest of the sites? That is sad.

Jim Deist is/was a hero and a legend. He saved lives and prevented countless injuries with his equipment. If you were ever on fire you wanted his equipment. If you ever crashed hard you thanked his belts and restraints.

There is a reason stunt people use/d his stuff. There is a reason racers use/d Deist. There is a reason he was/is still in business after all these years. It worked. And he stood behind every product he ever sold.

We proved a few times that the fire equipment and chutes worked. Well the driver did it is always their fault. (they never know when to shut it off. lol.) I think Gordon Mineo kept him in coveralls and cigars for life with all the junk he burned down and crispy fire suits he turned in.

He was the nicest person as well one hell of a smart and very ingenius man. If they didn't make it he did.

Genuine. Cigar and coveralls driving the Ford van with the lovely wife always riding shotgun. Always a nod with a wink and the corner of the mouth smile (didn't want to lose the cigar).

This news is just sad. People like Jim Deist are just not supposed to die.

Rest in peace old friend and thanks for doing what you did for all of us. It was my exteme honor and pleasure to have known you. You will always be a hero in my book.

God Speed and Rest Peacefully.

....Awesome words Jim!
Jim was a great man. I was fortunate to have worked for him as one of his "reps" from 80-81 and was invited up to him room friday after sema for some Jack Daniels and just listened to Jims stories for hours. Truly an amazing, nice man. He will be sadly missed. ...last saw him at Bonnyville in 99. RIP-JD.

Ditto to what you guys said. I used to go see Jim and company about once a month when I lived in Burbank.

RIP Mr. Diest and thank you for my quality equipment and suits over the years.

Thank you for the link Jackee... That was a good read about a great person in our sport

R.I.P. Mr. Diest

I saw Jim at SEMA, but for the first time in years, I decided that he looked too busy to bother him. Now I wish that I had. I just figured that I would see him next year. I always enjoyed reminiscing about dragracing from days gone by. I've ordered several firesuits from him over the years as well as other items and I've always been happy with everything he made. I will miss him and his stories. He was truly a part of dragracing. Godspeed Jim. I'll see you on the other side.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back