JFR in Trouble? (1 Viewer)

I'm 55. I've attended my fair share of NHRA events. Points and national.
The writing is on the wall.
First, it was the loss of the mainstays who drew their living entirely from racing. Snake, Goose, Shirley, and lesser publically known legends like Grose, Baze, Oswald, Meyer, LaHaie, Amato, Larson etc..
You can add 40 more names and all will quality for this category. Gone..
Put out to pasture a little early by owners who hired a driver who brought money. We parked legends for the likes of Spencer Massey, which now carries our sport. Pardon me, but I must barf...
That's when I left. The likes of rich kid drivers just removed the respect factor for me. Sorry Morgan, you are no Garlits or Graham. There are no more Kenny Bernsteins or Eddie Hills.

Remove the heart, and the body dies. We're now on to the next round of loses.
Corporations that have now given in to the true negative ROI with the NHRA.
Castrol and Force. Force and Castrol. Nobody picks up a quart of GTX without thinking about the face of the product, John Force. Even kids who don't know who Force is, knows John Force/Castrol go together. Like Lucky the leprechaun and Lucky Charms. Like Tony the Tiger and Frosted Flakes.

When Castrol abandons that relationship....one of the very few honest sponsor/owner/driver relationships left in all of motorsports...the parachute is out for every other major corporate sponsor without some family tie or write off. The deals that will be cut for major sponsorship wouldn't buy the front bumper on an also suffering Nascar ride.
I see this sport on the clock, and the clock has about 10 years of prominence left, with more of it dying each and every year..

So many things have killed it. Namely, the lack of a need to work on, and love your car. Kids don't even know how to check the oil, and could care less about cars because the glory days of saving up to buy tunnel rams and Cragar wheels are gone..
It's nobodies fault, and not much can save it. Things change, we change. Kids play video games instead of learning how to change a tire.. Music is "watched" instead of listened to. Things just change....
It sucks.

Last edited:
moreI'm 55. I've attended my fair share of NHRA events. Points and national.
The writing is on the wall.
First, it was the loss of the mainstays who drew their living entirely from racing. Snake, Goose, Shirley, and lesser publically known legends like Grose, Baze, Oswald, Meyer, LaHaie, Amato, Larson etc..
You can add 40 more names and all will quality for this category. Gone..
Put out to pasture a little early by owners who hired a driver who brought money. We parked legends for the likes of Spencer Massey, which now carries our sport. Pardon me, but I must barf...
That's when I left. The likes of rich kid drivers just removed the respect factor for me. Sorry Morgan, you are no Garlits or Graham. There are no more Kenny Bernsteins or Eddie Hills.

Now as body starts to die from the removal of it's heart, we're on to the next round of loses.
Corporations that have now given in to the true negative ROI with the NHRA.
Castrol and Force. Force and Castrol. Nobody picks up a quart of GTX without thinking about the face of the product, John Force. Even kids who don't know who Force is, knows John Force/Castrol go together. Like Lucky the leprechaun and Lucky Charms. Like Tony the Tiger and Frosted Flakes.

When Castrol abandons that relationship....one of the very few honest sponsor/owner/driver relationships left in all of motorsports...the parachute is out for every other major corporate sponsor without some family tie or write off. The deals that will be cut for major sponsorship wouldn't buy the front bumper on an also suffering Nascar ride.
I see this sport on the clock, and the clock has about 10 years of prominence left, with more of it dying each and every year..

So many things have killed it. Namely, the lack of a need to work on, and love your car. Kids don't even know how to check the oil, and could care less about cars because the glory days of saving up to buy tunnel rams and Cragar wheels are gone..
It's nobodies fault, and not much can save it. Things change, we change. Kids play video games instead of learning how to change a tire.. Music is "watched" instead of listened to. Things just change....
It sucks.

Civil Warletto said it....Its all over! NHRA should be bankrupt come November!

John, I can guarantee anyone racing, even the fuel cars, is doing so because they have a passion for it. There are many, easier ways to make a living. To say John's days of "wanting to race are over" is just wrong, IMO. I mean, he could have quit while he was ahead a long time ago, and set his kids up in ANY kind of business besides strapping them into these things. Stop and think how much "corporate money" is really funding pro drag racing. Those teams are out there because they love it, not because it's a great way to build a profitable corporation.

Drag Racing isn't over by a longshot. What is over, is trying to find "marketing partners" than can spend $3MIL per year for one car, which seems to be the number required to race at the level of JFR or DSR. Think about it, it was NEVER easy, even during the best economic times. The whole formula as far as the pro show needs a reworking. It's something that will likely happen on it's own, if it isn't starting already.

Nunzio, No one is interested anymore. Look at the stands....:oops:
Not sponsors, exclusive or co-sponsors, not fans, young or old. Just a guy who calls himself Toe Jam, followed by the usual prerequisite intellectual oil down on a bye-run post.

The economic ROI roots of racing sponsorships were ripped up a few years back, and now the hold-outs are leaving.
No beers, no oils, no food, no soft drinks, empty grand stands on a perfect day.. What sold for three million in the 90's, sells for half that amount in 2014.
What is driving the sport today? Fans? Lucrative TV contracts with prime time air? Ticket sales?
It's stabilized by few super rich men with business connections that develop into favor sponsorships. At some point, when one of these rich men decide to retire, the NHRA loses a huge portion of its attraction for guys like Toe Jam.

Again, it is no one's fault. The world changes.
Kids play video games inside on a summer day, dads don't service their cars in the garage anymore. Call it changing lifestyles, whatever.

Drag racing will never die, but I can see a day where Nostalgia becomes legit competition for the drag racing ticket dollar...
That's when the NHRA suffers the dagger.

Last edited:
Well, ... Robert and Courtney still have sponsors. Drag racing's most recognizable star could always take over one of their seats. The Nitromater.com server would probably go into overload if that ever happened. LMAO!!!!! :eek:

i just hope JFR can get a NEW company ... got wind that he is trying to take another sponsor away from a low buck team like when he took PEEK from Zizzo . . really hope it doesn't happen

I doubt he would bump Courtney out of her seat ... So that leaves El Presidente, Robert Hight. I doubt he would bump Robert out of the seat, I am sure they have pretty good contracts with AAA and what not, but you never know, if AAA wants it to happen as well (and I have no reason to believe they do at this time) .

Could the issue be his age? If you were the marketing VP of a big company and guy old enough to be your Dad walked in and said give me X millions of dollars for 3 years so I can market your products to the kids ... You would think he is nuts and you would think you are nuts if you gave him money. I would certainly hope this isn't the case, but look around the wider world of product endorsements ... there isn't anyone Force's age really doing it, particularly in the racing world. I know it seems weird or unconscionable to those of us close to the sport, Force is Funny Car racing to a large segment of the fan base, but there has to be some reason he is having a tough time digging up sponsorship for himself (beyond the fact he is probably asking for a lot of money compared to the other teams on tour). I would hope someone at least steps up and gives Force 1 year, so he can have a farewell tour akin to the Snake's Final Strike tour. The merchandising alone should make that worthwhile. Not many of us get to dictate the terms with which we go out, but if anyone has earned it, it is John Force.

If nothing comes up ... It certainly makes the 50th Anniversary World Finals a must see event, more so than it is now.

i just hope JFR can get a NEW company ... got wind that he is trying to take another sponsor away from a low buck team like when he took PEEK from Zizzo . . really hope it doesn't happen

Force didn't "take" Peak away from Zizzo, Peak came to Force!!! Get it straight :rolleyes:

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.......JOHN ASKED ZIZZO IF AND HOW PEAK WOULD AFFECT ZIZZO AND ZIZZO WAS OK WITH IT.........JUST SAYIN........

Last edited:
Watching his interview this week I wondered if his oddness in interviews perhaps is chasing sponsors away. The once crazy fun ramblings have turned odd anymore

Force's age has nothing to do with it. He is still the sports biggest star, far and away, period.
The way I see it, it has nothing to do with JFR or Force, and has everything to do with Castrol, and its ROI with JFR/NHRA drag racing..
I do believe that I read that Castrol would remain as an associate sponsor, which makes perfect sense.

Oil..
In 2014, who buys retail oil?
Nobody.
And those old schoolers like me who still do, just how is Castrol benefitting from an NHRA that nobody watches anymore?

Today, most, if not all people either go to the quick oil change on the corner, or have their dealer do it per service contract. Also remember the 3,000K oil change is a thing of the past. 6-8K seems like the norm. That's cutting motor oil sales in half. I am sure some lease vehicles don't even see an oil change at all.

What brand? Nobody cares anymore. Castrol, Valvoline, GM, Motorcraft..
Today, the soccer mom choice has shifted from brand, and now marketed as either Synthetic, semi, or conventional.

How many oil commercials have you seen on TV compared to years past?
Most people have stopped doing self oil changes years ago.
I think Castrol stuck it out longer than they wanted, IMO because they just felt an allegiance to John and their two decade growth together as a brand. With retail oil habits changing, I'm sure the young blood Castrol bean counters have had enough of donating to the JFR charity.

Last edited:
Watching his interview this week I wondered if his oddness in interviews perhaps is chasing sponsors away. The once crazy fun ramblings have turned odd anymore
They have been weird for a while. I've been hitting mute on him for the past couple years because of his constant stammering. It's sort of like listening to Mel Tillis try to talk. Something has changed with him and he's gotten odder for sure.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back