Jet Cars (1 Viewer)

They can be, but NHRA restricts them to:

Jet dragsters, 320.99 mph; jet Funny Cars, 305.99 mph

The reason they are restricted is not so much for safety at this time, but to prevent Joe deep pockets from trying to see who has the fastest jet.

The reason they are restricted is not so much for safety at this time, but to prevent Joe deep pockets from trying to see who has the fastest jet.

I asked the jet car folks at last year's Nats about when the NHRA might raise the speed limits, and was told the same thing. "No time soon." they said. Since they're strictly exhibition, the Org feels no need to let them go any faster.

it's not who has the fastest jet, it's who can stop the fastest jet in a 1/4 mile....

I'm sorry but Nitro cackle beats industrial hairdryer any day... jets should come out after Nitro cars puke oil on the track.....

I'm sorry but Nitro cackle beats industrial hairdryer any day...
There is only one sound I enjoy more than the cackle of a good nitro-breathing race car & that's the sound of freedom. Spent most of my life on aircraft carriers and at Naval Air Stations listening to it & it NEVER gets old. That said, it ain't quite the same when the sound is emanating from a land-locked car :( so in the case of seeing (or hearing) them at the track I tend to agree... gimme nitro! On the other hand, I don't think I'd refer to jet cars as industrial hairdryers.

I'm as much a nitro junkie as anyone, but I do enjoy the show the jets put on. It's not better, just different. And IMO they don't need to be any faster than they are.

I'm as much a nitro junkie as anyone, but I do enjoy the show the jets put on. It's not better, just different. And IMO they don't need to be any faster than they are.
I tend to agree. I'm a piston engine guy who is not so sure about strapping into a jet, so I appreciate those who do.

OK, helicopter story (it's kind of a jet engine, right?) My last year in the Air Force (1967-68), I was at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls, Montana. We usta ride the Hueys (same as in the Nam) out to the missle sites. One time we're going back to the base and we're all sitting in the back seat, start hearing all kinds of strange noises. The pilot put the helicopter down in a farmers field real quick. Turns out the transmission had broken. When we landed, you couldn't move the blades. So we're all standing there and pretty soon, another hilo comes out to pick us up. I thought, do I really wanna get on that thing? HA I didn't ride in one of those things for years. A few years ago, there was a fellow at (what used to be) Firebird in a 2 seater, & you could pay for a ride. So I did that, lotsa fun & really enjoyed being up in one again. Just don't dump it in the lake, pal... heh

There is only one sound I enjoy more than the cackle of a good nitro-breathing race car & that's the sound of freedom. Spent most of my life on aircraft carriers and at Naval Air Stations listening to it & it NEVER gets old. That said, it ain't quite the same when the sound is emanating from a land-locked car :( so in the case of seeing (or hearing) them at the track I tend to agree... gimme nitro! On the other hand, I don't think I'd refer to jet cars as industrial hairdryers.

I just don't get off on all the popping and smoke they do at the track. Now, an aircraft just overhead going mach? is something else!

Nitro is it, but the most beautiful sound I heard at E-Town was when a WWII P51 Mustang went up the track from finish line to starting line full bore.....nice and low....kinda like this

E-town has an airport there on the nitro side across from the lake, I'll bet Kalitta loves it because he doesn't have to drive 2 hours or so to fly home.

Nothing beats the sound of a healthy Rolls Royce Merlin. They have a really nasty sound to them. Even nastier than the Allison V12. I love it!

Great footage!!! We have a museum in Mesa, AZ, Falcon Field, that has a lot of old war planes, WWII, etc and it is so cool to see 'em. Lot of 'em can still fly. Conferderate Air Force usta fly out of there.

Now that I think about it, who was the guy who had Allison engines in dragsters and the coupe and even a White Truck cab over. Saw it run at San Fernando. What a noise..... :)

Jim Lytle. Built several cars, including Quad Al, Big Al, a '34 ford, and a little Isetta stuffed with an Allison.

he's also credited with creating the 1st 1 piece fiberglass dragster body for the second version of Big Al, a piece that gave the Mercury racers inspiration to create the first flip top cunny car.

He passed away back in 2012.

Here's an article about him.

Great footage!!! We have a museum in Mesa, AZ, Falcon Field, that has a lot of old war planes, WWII, etc and it is so cool to see 'em. Lot of 'em can still fly. Conferderate Air Force usta fly out of there.

My Uncle is a mechanic for the Confederate Air Force on their B-25 Mitchell. The amount of maintenance that plane requires is staggering. I was talking with him about it and he said the WW2 bomber planes were designed for 50 takeoffs and 50 landings, then they were to be replaced. They weren't designed or built to be in service for years, they were basically disposable. Keeping them in the air now is a hell of a task.

I drove my TA/FC against a couple of jet cars at night back in the early 1990's at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix for one of their a dog and pony shows. When I left at the green it was like I was on a single run until about 1,100 feet when they blew by me with one of them going 298 miles per hour. Quite an experience. I could hear them doing their burner pops next to me as I was pulling up to stage but that was about the only difference compared to racing any other car. Quite an experience following a jet engine still glowing with the chutes out in front of me in the shut down area.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back