Jack Jones (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
I my view Jack Jones of AA/GD fame was one of the best and highly underrated drivers to drive in the 60's. IRP should have cemented his talent, I think it did.

The guy was deadly on that full 5-amber tree. What do you think Cliff, you surely must have seen this gut pilot that digger?

TopFuel@Lions

1605457106244.png

Jack Jones AA/GD champ. 1968 World Finals at Dallas

I my view Jack Jones of AA/GD fame was one of the best and highly underrated drivers to drive in the 60's. IRP should have cemented his talent, I think it did.

The guy was deadly on that full 5-amber tree. What do you think Cliff, you surely must have seen this gut pilot that digger?

TopFuel@Lions

He will be famous forever as I believe he posed for the making of the "Wally" trophy in his image.

Jack was definately a Great driver. The "Lincoln and Jones" Injected car ran well and he ran good with the "Beal and Jones" car later, but when he started driving with Bill Schultz tuning it was magic. There was never a better tuner in Top Gas (and probably Top Fuel until mega money took over) than Bill and with Jack's driving style the combination made them almost unbeatable. He never really wanted to drive Top Fuel cars though.

I agree with all of the above. At one of the Nationals, maybe 1970? one of the Schultz Top Gas cars ran a 7.27 ET, at the time, quickest ever for single engine. Unfortunatly, he ran into Ray Moates, Moates & Williams Twin Chrysler, which ran 7.08??? Was that Jack Jones driving or Gerry Glenn?

Hello everyone I have been away for a long time from here unable to post but I have been watching. I would like to say that I am not good at posting but I will try. First thank you to all for the good words about me now many have asked about stories I have, so here is one about Jack Jones.

Years ago at lions Jack red lighted in the final round and Bill Shultz was so pissed he got in the tow truck an as he entered the return road he made a U-turn and drove out the front gate and letting Jack find his own way home with the race car.

Larry Sutton---Lions Starter and racer (RET.)

Larry, welcome back, you sir hold such a special place for me and my late father. Jack Jones was so cool to talk to as well.

TopFuel@Lions.. watching one of my hero's standing at the line at Lions, black cowboy hat, stiped shirt, it was a glorious time indeed!

A few years ago I was bored on the internet and looked up my high schools famous alumni. It said NHRA Top Gas Driver Jack Jones 1958. I had no clue who that was and come to find out that was the guy on the Wally. I thought that was so cool, i kind of assumed the guy on the trophy was Wally Parks himself. He went to Northridge High School in Dayton, Ohio.

Pat Dakin’s shop is also in Northridge. Used to visit it all the time with my Dad growing up. It sits right next to my old elementary school.

There is a Northridge, Calif. So many states have towns w/ the same name. I grew up in Glendale, Calif, now live in Phoenix, AZ. We have a Glendale too, but it looks nothing like the Calif version.

I got to meet Jack and talk to him for a few minutes back in February at the nationals. He was there with my friend Mike Channing, I think he said Jack lives in or near Yuma.

20200221_132404.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back