Is this insane or what? (1 Viewer)

Watchman

Nitro Member
Watch this.

YouTube - Sammy Miller in Oxygen Rocket car.

if it is true 3.81 in 1/4 at 331 mph and 3.54 at 386mph in 1/4 mile.

Then Tony Schumacher 's " The Run" at 4.42 would be at 1000 feet when this thing crosses the finish line at 1/4 mile.

I think I see why they banned these things.

I still would like to see one again.

It is the only thing I am not sure I would drive.

mike

Last edited:
funny this came up... i was at ray motes office a while back (owner or taylor/vertex and racing legend t/f, cherokee warrior f/c, etc and all around great guy) and he asked me 'did i know when was the first 300mph 1/4 mile run?' well i knew from the way he phrased it that it was a loaded question.

he started showing me all this memoribillia of rocket (not jet) dragster from 50's, 60's, 70's... it was amazing!

i guess the problem that led to them being banned (besides the un-godly speeds) is that once the chemical reaction is started it can't be stopped!... so tighten up those belts and kiss your a$$ good-bye!

but man... can you imagine what that had to feel like?

funny this came up... i was at ray motes office a while back (owner or taylor/vertex and racing legend t/f, cherokee warrior f/c, etc and all around great guy) and he asked me 'did i know when was the first 300mph 1/4 mile run?' well i knew from the way he phrased it that it was a loaded question.

he started showing me all this memoribillia of rocket (not jet) dragster from 50's, 60's, 70's... it was amazing!

i guess the problem that led to them being banned (besides the un-godly speeds) is that once the chemical reaction is started it can't be stopped!... so tighten up those belts and kiss your a$$ good-bye!

but man... can you imagine what that had to feel like?

From what I understand when the fuel is shut off it will stop.

They would have the exact amount for a run.

Another problem was stopping. They would go on a string under power but were so lightweight. Stopping is where they always crashed. I was at Charlotte when Dave Anderson crashed "the Pollution Packer" . It ran on an 1/8 mile which was the pit road for Charlotte Motor Speedway. He ran well passed 1/8 mile under power. The chutes came out and fell to the ground. He spun like he was on ice. It hit the concrete wall of the oval. Two guys were standing there and it cut them in half. He hit it sideways at over 150 mph. I was going to run down and see ( I was 11) but my Dad said no way. I saw people walking back who were throwing up.

Another issue is the concentration of hydrogen peroxide they use. If there was a crash they has to wash the car down before they could get to the driver.

I saw the "Pollution Packer " run a 4.64 at over 300 mph in 1973 at Indy. I think he made the first turn off. It had this massive chute that would stop the car in an instant.

They were the only thing I have seen that I doubt if I would drive. I would think twice about a blown fuel hydro also. Top Fuel ? Funny Car? without hesitation. The phrase that went around in 1973 was " do not get in a long conversation with a rocket car driver because he will not be around to finish it."

I think in 1973 about 3 guys were killed. Anderson, Mendez and ??

I guess they had good reason to ban them

Mike

Man, that's insane!

I hate to ask what is probably a dumb question, but I noticed at the end of the video that he passed at a pretty young age. Was his death a result of an accident with one of these things?

And Belt, don't even act like you're not crazy enough to saddle one of those things up! ;)

Sean D

I have seen video of the Mendez crash, terrible deal there. I heard that was an ugly scene at the top end also.

Man, that's insane!

I hate to ask what is probably a dumb question, but I noticed at the end of the video that he passed at a pretty young age. Was his death a result of an accident with one of these things?

And Belt, don't even act like you're not crazy enough to saddle one of those things up! ;)

Sean D
dewitt... hold my beer and watch this $hit!! :eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back